Pucho & the latin soul brothers

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk
I'm listening to the "super freak" album (which is amazing to me ) and wondering:I'm a complete "beginner" in the latin side of soul any suggestion abt who else in that "scene" worth ? which albums ?many thanks

Comments

• Brown Brothers of Soul - Cholo

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    Google search: Latin Boogaloo

start from there.

a whole new world awaits you.

cheers.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Brown Brothers of Soul - Cholo

word! I am kicking myself for passing that 45 up at the ARC a few years ago, dude wanted 40 bucks, I thought that was a little steep, but damn whatta record! if you have aline on anohter one, holler!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Google search: Latin Boogaloo

start from there.

cheers.

Or : Nu Yorican
    or: Fania
    Check out the fims "Our Latin Thing" and "Salsa" featuring the Fania All Stars from the early 70s

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Depends on what style you're looking for. There are a lot of early Fania releases for example that are mostly Salsa, but throw in a real great Soul ballad or Soul song. Joe Bataan comes to mind right away.

Then there's Boogaloo, which is upbeat dance music with ctachy singalong choruses. Joe Cuba and early Jimmy Castor 45s on Smash for example.

Then there's the crossover Latin-Soul-Funk groups like Mongo Santamaria. They'd basically play mostly covers with a little Latin influence included.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    then there's OCHO.

Then there's the crossover Latin-Soul-Funk groups like Mongo Santamaria. They'd basically play mostly covers with a little Latin influence included.

His Columbia and then Atlantic LPs are probably right on the money if you are into Pucho. These are generally better LPs than any Pucho I have heard, on the whole. Pucho stuff is harder to come by, but in the case of Mongo, I think his boogaloo and then latin-funk-soul stuff far outstrips Pucho except on (literally)rare occasions. So enjoy the fact that you can afford to actually buy a lot of Mongo's best stuff, easily obtainable and excellent!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm listening to the "super freak" album (which is amazing to me ) and wondering:

I'm a complete "beginner" in the latin side of soul
    any suggestion abt who else in that "scene" worth ? which albums ?

many thanks

I'd start with some of the Harmless compilations: Brown Sugar, Freak Out, Broasted or Fried, Big Bad Boogaloo. They're a tad more $$$ b/c they're UK imports but they are an excellent starting point for any and all Latin soul interests you may have.

If you're into more of the Latin jazz side, Dizzy Gillespie's Afro-Cuban work is integral. Machito comes to mind as well. I'd recommend that book I plugged the other week: The Latin Tinge. John Storm Roberts has some excellent chapters dealing with Latin jazz and you can build a solid discography from there.

Asking where to get started in Latin is like asking where to get started in soul - there's just so many directions you can take. The question is figuring out which sound you like best.

This said...if you like Pucho, you absolutely, positively, cannot go wrong with:

Ray Barretto's Acid (Fania).

Seriously - START WITH THIS.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    The Cotique and Speed catalouges are full of great latin soul, from Johhny Colon to Frankie Nieves. Early Fania records have some latin soul tracks on them, but not as much as Cotique and Speed records. The latin soul ballad really deserves its own thread because there are so many great songs and records. Recently I have been blown away by Ralfi Pagan's S/T on Fania from 1974. He was signed to the label by Jerry Masuci after singing some acapellas in his office. Soon after he made this album with Johnny Pacheco. His voice is very distincitve and he had a different stye to the popular "soneros" of the time,m its really high pitched almost falsetto. Tracks Who's The Girl for Me and Ain't No Big Thing, are dope dope dope! Happy hunting

although the brazilian stuff is of a different flavor..pick up this now out of print comp...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43704&item=4718028846&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

everything on this is killer and will prolly make a fiend out of you...this stuff is so damn good...

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

His Columbia and then Atlantic LPs are probably right on the money if you are into Pucho. These are generally better LPs than any Pucho I have heard, on the whole. Pucho stuff is harder to come by, but in the case of Mongo, I think his boogaloo and then latin-funk-soul stuff far outstrips Pucho except on (literally)rare occasions. So enjoy the fact that you can afford to actually buy a lot of Mongo's best stuff, easily obtainable and excellent!

thanks all for helpin'

yeah probably, I'm really NOT into latin.....maybe what Im really into is a different flavoured kind of soul jazz....I really think I have most of the straight soul jazz around,(especially organist) so probably I will start with someone like mongo santamaria .....which album you suggest ?

I'm listening to the "super freak" album (which is amazing to me ) and wondering:

I'm a complete "beginner" in the latin side of soul
    any suggestion abt who else in that "scene" worth ? which albums ?

many thanks

I'd start with some of the Harmless compilations: Brown Sugar, Freak Out, Broasted or Fried, Big Bad Boogaloo. They're a tad more $$$ b/c they're UK imports but they are an excellent starting point for any and all Latin soul interests you may have.

If you're into more of the Latin jazz side, Dizzy Gillespie's Afro-Cuban work is integral. Machito comes to mind as well. I'd recommend that book I plugged the other week: The Latin Tinge. John Storm Roberts has some excellent chapters dealing with Latin jazz and you can build a solid discography from there.

Asking where to get started in Latin is like asking where to get started in soul - there's just so many directions you can take. The question is figuring out which sound you like best.

This said...if you like Pucho, you absolutely, positively, cannot go wrong with:

Ray Barretto's Acid (Fania).

Seriously - START WITH THIS.

sure I will grab it if I see it around , thank you

Like Motown67 suggests, Stone Soul, Soul Bag, and Mongomania are the pinnacle of his Columbia output(add in All Strung Out, too)...Atlantic LPs, I am partial to Mongo '70 and Mongo's Way.

Mongo's Way.

cosign. "Hippo Walk" is

sucks because for some reason that LP came up missing after my last gig..the sleeve was in my bag but the record is no where to be found

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Mongo's Way.

cosign. "Hippo Walk" is

sucks because for some reason that LP came up missing after my last gig..the sleeve was in my bag but the record is no where to be found

you probably did what I do all the time...put it in the sleeve of the record you mixed just before or just after...I do that shit CONSTANTLY. so frustrating.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

thanks all for helpin'

yeah probably, I'm really NOT into latin.....maybe what Im really into is a different flavoured kind of soul jazz....I really think I have most of the straight soul jazz around,(especially organist) so probably I will start with someone like mongo santamaria .....which album you suggest ?
    Well, Mongo is a good start as many have mentioned. Besides his Atlantic stuff, look for his albums on Vaya (mid '70s), especially "Afro Indio". If you want soul jazz with a Latin tinge, that's a good one right there.

El Chicano: Viva Tirado
    ---I think you'd really like that album. Don't fuck with the rest of their catalog though - not unless you like Latin rock which it doesn't sound like you do.

Order this from Dustygroove:

Cabildo's Three: Yuxtaposition.
    ---superbly nice Latin-flavored soul jazz music from an Italian library band. It's incredible, seriously.

whats also great about latin records is that, even if the music isnt happening, the covers can be great a lot of the time.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

El Chicano:

Don't fuck with the rest of their catalog though - not unless you like Latin rock which it doesn't sound like you do.

ummm. "Revolucion" is a hot ass LP. Do you not agree? But as for the rest of em, yeah, they're pretty intolerable.

Depends on what style you're looking for........ Joe Bataan comes to mind right away.

any comment on the album "salsoul" ? at least the cover art seems good

Depends on what style you're looking for........ Joe Bataan comes to mind right away.

Afrofilipino is my fave of Joe's, but most of his Fania stuff is straight Latin Soul/Salsa

• Thanks for the support senor strider.. good stuff! You might want to check out Pucho's[/b] album 'Yaina'[/b] which we also reissued, especially the Rolling Stones cover of 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'.. heavy!

On a related note, I think one of the heaviest Latin albums is The Har You Percussion Group.[/b] Not only is the album insanely funky & will destroy any dancefloor, but the storyline is equally as amazing. Originally recorded in the late 1960s at the height of the Harlem Race Riots, an act called The HARYOU Act was intended to keep kids off the streets during the riots so gathered here were a group of kids that went on to record one of heaviest Latin albums of all time.

A few years back, Vice Magazine actually did a follow-up story w/ Montego Joe who helped organize the group & he went on to say that unfortunately, a number of the kids wound up in jail, on the streets, & saddenly a few even died from drugs. Crazy story though... Some quality records recommended though by other strutters so do check them all out!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Afrofilipino is my fave of Joe's, but most of his Fania stuff is straight Latin Soul/Salsa

I think he meant the album SALSOUL, as opposed to the things he did on the Salsoul label.

The SALSOUL elpee (on the Mericana label) is really good, exactly what the title sez - salsa and soul. It's from 1973, so it's still pretty funky, no disco influence. Yet.

I think he meant the album SALSOUL, as opposed to the things he did on the Salsoul label.

The SALSOUL elpee (on the Mericana label) is really good, exactly what the title sez - salsa and soul. It's from 1973, so it's still pretty funky, no disco influence. Yet.

oh, I know. I am one of the few people here that probably likes his "disco" stuff better. A great voice.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I am one of the few people here that probably likes (Joe Bataan's) "disco" stuff better. A great voice.

His voice sounds strikingly similar to Jimmy Castor's. Not the badass voice that Jimmy used on "Troglodyte," but the romantic tone Jimmy used on ballads and softer material. "Party Life," from one of Jimmy's RCA albums, sounds exactly like Bataan. I can't say who influenced who - they both came out of NY roughly around the same time, so it was probably natural.

I am one of the few people here that probably likes (Joe Bataan's) "disco" stuff better. A great voice.

His voice sounds strikingly similar to Jimmy Castor's. Not the badass voice that Jimmy used on "Troglodyte," but the romantic tone Jimmy used on ballads and softer material. "Party Life," from one of Jimmy's RCA albums, sounds exactly like Bataan. I can't say who influenced who - they both came out of NY roughly around the same time, so it was probably natural.

I know Jimmy Castor material........while his early stuff was sure latin influenced, I think later during the first half of 70's he losed it, to embrace the jazz-funk idiom..........but maybe I lack of knowing in his whole catalogue ?

His voice sounds strikingly similar to Jimmy Castor's. Not the badass voice that Jimmy used on "Troglodyte," but the romantic tone Jimmy used on ballads and softer material. "Party Life," /B>from one of Jimmy's RCA albums, sounds exactly like Bataan. I can't say who influenced who - they both came out of NY roughly around the same time, so it was probably natural.

Now that you mention it....it's true, they do sound similar. I just love the second side of 'Afrofilipino', just the mellow tone of it all, can't be beat.