Harvey Gets To Redeem Himself Musically

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited April 2013 in Strut Central
In the 5 (maybe close to 10) years of bickering on the same board I've come to disagree with you on pretty much everything except that you have interesting music tastes and, on occasion, I've even checked things out based on your fandom, so heres the scenario....

about a week ago I sold in a shitload of CD's to Amoeba with the intention of ridding clutter and replacing it with new (not dusty) vinyl.

I have $120 in credit to buy new LP's and I intend to buy some good new funk/ trippy rock/ experimental LP's. Your suggestion(s) is(are) going to be used to pick up something. I'm looking for you to give me a recommendation that will take 90's rap/ 80's modern soul/ '98 WOF mindset and expand it out.

So tell me what I should get and why and I'll pick it up, I'll review it sometime in the next week and either thank you or curse you out for your musical advice.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm also ok with a reissue recommendation but no cheap crusty bootlegs

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Get GOAT's World Music LP and thank me (and whoever it was on here who turned me on to them a couple of months back) later. They're reputedly a cult band from the remote Swedish highlands and I'm kinda obsessed with them right now...and get to see them live at Psychfest later this month.

Oh, and if you haven't yet picked up Killer Mike's Rap Music LP, then nab that as well. I more or less dismissed it when it dropped as I couldn't fathom El-P doing beats for a Southern-styled rapper. Boy, was I wrong. The album is fabulous through and through.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Get GOAT's World Music LP and thank me (and whoever it was on here who turned me on to them a couple of months back) later. They're reputedly a cult band from the remote Swedish highlands and I'm kinda obsessed with them right now...and get to see them live at Psychfest later this month.

I'm going to get GOAT, later this week. I'm making it a point to not listen or read reviews on it until after I give it a full listen and write my own review.

Stay tuned.

Cool, should be interesting (at least to you and me).

• Two of my favourite albums from last year. RAP music was much better than El P's own joint.

• was Drain a "thing" in austin in the early 90s? or is it just one of those things that got found looking back?

vintageinfants said:
    was Drain a "thing" in austin in the early 90s? or is it just one of those things that got found looking back?

I'm familiar with the label, Trance Syndicate, and groups like Ed Hall and the Cherubs, but not Drain.

Someone recently pointed this one out to me though...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Can't see the youtube, but I have the Black Fist 7"...it was a King Coffey (Butthole Surfers)/Cherubs project.

You might like Chrome Cranks, too if you find this interesting. They're sexier and more melodic but still grating lol

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Goat "World Music"

Without knowing anything about this album other than its supposed to be "psychedelic" I let it spin and ended up really digging the vibe. The whole thing plays with a soundtrack vibe to it, most songs conjured up images of action scenes in imaginary films. I've broken down my feelings track-by-track:

Diarabi ??? this plays like the bridge to a song on the soundtrack of a movie about fighting the Turkish to get my child back. Repetition in a good way that slightly builds and builds until the final drums act like the moment where I find the bastard that took him and reach for my gun.

Goatman ??? Chorus of girls over funky afro-latin drums and crunchy guitar. Catchy ???na nah na-na na-nas" going on. In keeping with the songs for a soundtrack feel this one feels like something a boxer could start knocking man around to. Throwing a chorus of "Ali Bomaye" in would work perfectly.

Goathead ??? This is the punchier continuation of Goatman. Like Goatman is now in the middle of round 11 with a steely look in his goat eyes. The guitar solo at the halfway point is shredtastic and gives way to imaginary Goatman's eventual knockdown and loss. I???m a sucker for songs that go from huge build-ups and transition well into peaceful moments. Acoustic guitar works nicely but drags on a bit long

Disco Fever ??? Fela Kuti Nigerian night in Stutgart. Total afro beat vibe with Euroman leading the band.

Golden Dawn ??? The echoed-out Chinese lady intro falls slightly awkwardly into a ???Goathead??? like vibe. In my head it sounded a bit like Radiohead's ???Electioneering??? from OK Computer, which isn???t a good thing.

Let it Bleed ??? the most "feel good" song on the LP, uplifting guitar riff makes it sound like a more rock sounding song than the rest of the crunchy afro-latin vibe the rest of the album has. Love the sax that popped up on the 2nd half, this album was all over the place but was missing that free jazz woodwind element ???

Goatlord ??? A mellow in pace but intense in feel style track, I dig this vibe. Another one of those songs where I picture a guy slowly looking towards a camera with a steely-eyed Clint Eastwood meets Martin Sheen glare as their raft drifts down the river away from where the shit went down. The fuzzed out guitar that pops in around the 1:45 mark kicks up the intensity. My favorite track of the album.

Det Som Aldrig Forandras/ Diarabi ??? this is the jam band drone out trip out track conclusion. My ears are usually more attuned to funky 4/4 drums, especially when played at mid-tempo so that brings up that "oh shit its got beats" backpacker in me. The organ sound which I guess I keep thinking of as African sounding organ that plays out the album well like really long ending credits.

Overall this was a great suggestion, $20 in store credit well spent. Thanks Harvey.

Now clear out your PM's, they're full and I need to write you some shit

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    A 12" of GOAT remixes is one of the Record Store Day things this year. Pretty cool, I played some of it on my show last Sat.

Glad you liked it, Guzzo!

On the contrary, I was floored just last night when I asked a friend what he thought of the Goat Golden Dawn live video I had sent him and he told me that he couldn't have HATED it any more. Still shaking my head at that as I thought dude would love it.

Anyway, my pm's here have never worked. You can instead email me at: r2g2_53@hotmail.com

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This would make an interesting semi-regular theme - help me spend my store credit.

Anyone with store credit that's burning a metaphorical hole in their pocket invites a random strutter of their choice to suggest purchases.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    let's talk about Trance Syndicate:

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    jdeez said:
    let's talk about Trance Syndicate:

Ha! Bliss works next door, see her all the time.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    some faves

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    Speaking of that GOAT record... I was passing by Tower records here in Dublin and heard it being played instore. I had no idea what it was and managed to get the name of it off one of the staff. It sounded really interesting and I'll be picking it up as soon as I can. I found out about that Unknown Mortal Orchestra record the same way. Seriously good stuff too...