What Makes Amon Duul II So Great?

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited April 2013 in Strut Central
Just wondering cause Wolf City never sold me, nor did Carnival In Babylon.

I think I've been defending them without any basis.

Change my mind

Comments

• "Kismet" is a dope track

b/w

RIP Dusty Fingers

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Easy man, they were the most psychedelic out of all the Krautrock bands.. A little more along the hippy Jefferson airplane / Fifty foot hose jam band scene. They weren't inventive like CAN, they weren't robotic like Kraftwerk, but I'd say they were more or less along the lines of any of those jam bands.. of that time period.

Basically the first Amon Duul was a commune jamming with a bunch of non-musicians. Amon Duul ii basically was formed out of the people in that group who actually knew how to actually hold the instruments the right way. Yeti and Dance of the Lemmings are when they actually started making listenable (more or less) music. Vive la trance.. was really there last decent album.

I don't know what fuckin planet the song Kismet came from though.

- spidey

• I've had lemmings, hijack and one with a camel. I sold them all... Not
    My cup of tea.

• It's not just their music that's amazing, but also the whole story behind the band and their experiences. Crazy!

Good shit G, but I think BRAINTICKET or THE MONKS may be more up your alley homie.

- spidey

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i never liked amon d????l. i think their approach to the so called genre psych is just an excuse for being clueless. they got high, played some weird music and that was it. once you look deeper into the krautrock section you'll notice that other bands actually tried to play good music. amon d????l is like an 80s free jazz approach to krautrock. compare their records to other german bands from the same time and you will notice the difference.

sorry for my bad feelings about the band, but i really think they are at the very bottom of any german rock from the 60s. their only appeal is the drugged up background and the fucked up hippie schitt they pulled. they were in magazines and the public was freaked out by those people. no wonder they became so popular...

the only time i bought an album by amon d????l was when i noticed that some japanese collectrolls paid 200+ euros for common orginals. went to the store, bought a copy and put it on ebay.

• grope!! i couldn't agree more. those live clips that were posted were straight up unlistenable. like "shred" versions or parodies of krautrock.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Damn it feels good to not be alone on this.

Years ago I worked at a record store and there was this guy there that had amazing tastes, he opened my ears up to a ton of stuff and it got to the point where if he named something I'd start searching for it knowing it would be good. At some point he went on and on about Amon Duul and Can, and while I found Can to be brilliant, Amon Duul didn't quite feel like it should be spoken about on the same level. I just gave a few of my records from them a spin and I just can't hear what I want to hear, pretty wanktastic. They seem to skate by with a great rep cause they came out at the same time and same country as a ton of awesome sounding bands.

Pretty Sneaky Amon Duul

you almost had me there

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Kismet is a great track and I quite like this one:

What I've heard never really persuaded me to check out the albums.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i cosign on grope`s statements. overrated.

still i really dig the first 30 seconds of this:

MAD SHIT

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    YETI

nuff said

Grope said:
    sorry for my bad feelings about the band, but i really think they are at the very bottom of any german rock from the 60s.

Nah, far from it G. They're definitely not the worse you can do when it comes to german rock music.

- spidey

• sakedelicsakedelic 247 Posts
    What's so great about The Velvet Underground? I heard that Squeezed LP and it sucks!