Austin Psych Fest and this here band called GOAT

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited December 2012 in Strut Central
I'm getting talked into going to this. I mean the lineup is so killer. Here it is:
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
The Black Angels
Deerhunter
Tinariwen
Clinic
Warpaint
Black Mountain
Boris
Spectrum
Man Or Astroman?
The King Khan & Bbq Show
The Growlers
Acid Mothers Temple
Quintron & Miss Pussycat
The Soft Moon
White Fence
Diiv
Dead Skeletons
The Warlocks
Vietnam
Goat
Black Bananas
The Black Ryder
Lumerians
Elephant Stone
The Laurels
Gary War
Woodsman
The Cult Of Dom Keller
Golden Animals
Holydrug Couple
Vinyl Williams
Ttotals
Dreamtime

Anyone here down with this band GOAT? They are killer. It's like psych afrobeat!

Comments

• dirtydirty 93 Posts
    I dig Goat a lot. I like their psych sound over the afrobeat attempt though. It's good stuff though.

• a girlfriend of mine likes Quintron/pussycat...me too!
    thats the only band ive remotely heard of on there...but the names sound like a bag full of psych moves!

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    downtownrobbrown said:

Anyone here down with this band GOAT? They are killer. It's like psych afrobeat!

Nice sounds! Killer video too.

• that goat song sounds great! i'll be checking for them

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    TInariwen can be good live. I've always wanted to see Acid Mothers Temple live, I heard their shows are insane.

• King Khan and BBQ? They are about as psychedelic as a glass of iced tea.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    as psychedelic as a glass of iced tea.

lol!

Well put.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    YES!! Dude, I heard about GOAT playing.. I've been so excited about that album & the song GOATMAN which blew me away.. Almost has this dark Funkadelic feel to it.

I'd love to see these guys live.

b/w

What is up with all these killer Swedish bands these days?

- Diego

• Someone mentioned GOAT on the album of the year thread, hadnt come across them before. Its a very good album. Used to listen to Deerhunter a lot about 6-7 years ago.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    5 bands with Black in their name.

Black=psych these days I guess.

I would love to start a black psych band.. I've already even thought up a name.. NEGROS MUTANTES.

I'm thinking of Riding my motorcycle to this Austin Psychfest. Any strutters want to meet up?

- Diego

• World Music was my pick for album of 2012. Amazing stuff, like the Lijadu sisters gone psych.

Get it while you can. The OG Euro pressings were hoovered up pretty quickly.

Here's some live vids. 2nd one is 22 minutes long with bad sound but gives a good idea of the show.

• that lineup is tough i'm going to need to look at this

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    The Black Angels
    Deerhunter

Clinic

Black Mountain
    Boris

Man Or Astroman?
    The King Khan & Bbq Show

Quintron & Miss Pussycat
    The Soft Moon
    White Fence

The Warlocks
    Vietnam

Black Bananas

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    "Goatman" and "Goathead" are heavy tunes, love 'em. Aggy psychfunk with throaty amazon vocals. Haven't bought the album because those are the two tracks I keep returning to. The rest of the album doesn't hit me quite as hard. When the "Goatman" 45 came out about a year ago I kept saying to myself "I'll order it next week" and when I finally got myself around to it, it was sold out and collectible. Damn it.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    a girlfriend of mine likes Quintron/pussycat...me too!
    thats the only band ive remotely heard of on there...but the names sound like a bag full of psych moves!

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club sound like biker-rock meets Jesus & Mary Chain (or they did at one point). The father of one of them was in The Call
    The Black Angels did some shit with UNKLE, iirc, but I've never heard them on their own.
    Tinariwen are a kind of Tuareg afro-blues-trance outfit from the Malian desert.
    Clinic are from Liverpool, and are sort of garagey neo-psych. Their gimmick used to be wearing surgical gowns and masks onstage. I dunno if they still do this.
    I think Acid Mothers Temple are Japanese and have some sort of affiliation with The Boredoms but I'm not certain.

That's about all the help I can give you.

• SPlDEY said:

I'm thinking of Riding my motorcycle to this Austin Psychfest. Any strutters want to meet up?

In short, yes.

• i'm not gonna lie, i thought the thread was gonna be clownin on this

• Thymebomb13 said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    I think Acid Mothers Temple are Japanese and have some sort of affiliation with The Boredoms but I'm not certain.

They're definitely Japanese, they're only tangentially related to the Boredoms, and they have a bazillion releases over a 17 year history. Kind of hard to avoid if you're into psych in any real way.

It's hard to tell what AMT you are going to get at any given performance...either ash ra temple-esque skullfuck or floppy hat airbrushed mushroom jams

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Man or Astroman? is a space-surf-guitar band. I had some friends in high school who were really into them. Apparently their shows are fun, I think they dress up in space suits or something.

they used to do some of the music for Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast, as any stoner who stayed up late watching Cartoon Network in the late 90s may recall. That's how I learned about them and, oddly enough, about Sonny Sharrock.

GenePontecorvo said:
    SPlDEY said:

In short, yes.

Whattup B,

Yes sir! You are absolutely one of the first dudes I thought to go visit out there..

Friends of Sound, Alamo Drafthouse & Psychfest. Can't wait!

- Diego

• The schedule is up. Some unfortunate overlaps.

http://www.austinpsychfest.com/2013-festival/lineup/

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    What's good on Sunday besides GOAT?

• Everything on the main stage

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    TTL had the Goat lp for sale last week, not sure about its current stock. FYI

I ended up copping it

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Clinic is the jam, I would highly suggest checking them out.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Holy Drug Couple

I think Roky is going to have Billy Gibbons/Moving Sidewalks backing him up, so it could be great.

So.. I'm for sure going to the Austin Psych Fest!! Now, I'm just trying to rally people to go on the road trip with me.

Who else is going?

- Damo

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Just bought my ticket for Sunday.

Sounds like it could be Harvey meets Guzzo...if anyone ever thought that possible.

• Can't wait. Sunday could get wet!

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Just bought my ticket for Sunday.

Sounds like it could be Harvey meets Guzzo...if anyone ever thought that possible.
    freestyle rap battle in the making.