Digging in Buenos Aires & Rio De Janeiro HELP!

2»

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    m_dejean said:
    No sweat guys, just remember you're in Brazil. Don't spend all your time in dusty record stores. Check some live music and parties. Try to get out to the many small islands down the coast. Go trekking in the mountains. Go dining. Go to the beach, sip some coconut juice, go swimming, watch the birdies .

MAJOR

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Dor e Dor!!

I miss Brasil, so very much!! My best record finds were all in the swaps of Sao Paulo..

However there was one tiny little rad shop i stumbled on that I wish I could go back to with Experimental music in LAPA next to the hostel I stayed at called, BOOKS (which I also highly recommend). It had a big poster of Damo Suzuki on the wall, and a couple nights during my stay.. There was a different experimental in store performance.

That's where I got a bulk of the rare psychedelic records that led to this mix:
    http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/mixes/indepth/somatopsicopneumatico/

9 Rua Francisco Muratori, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I can't recommend the Beaches in Copacabana in the evening highly enough. Some of the most breathtaking views I've ever seen in my life. Also, ask around the locals to help you find the little boat ride out to the Niemeyer gallery.

A very nice little off the beaten path trip.

saludos,

- Damo Obrigado

• I recommend staying in a Favela, or at least visit (without a tour). It was the best time I had in Rio and the safest, regardless of all the shooting and drug dealers. The sense of community is fantastic.

That and renting a motorbike and riding around.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    MusicaDelAlma said:
    If you can, it's really important to bring down stuff to trade in the shops in Rio to take the sting off the high prices. Things like clean copies of CCR, The Beatles, Blue Note jazz, roots reggae (probably easy for you to find cheap classics up in your area), classic funk & soul, etc etc does really well.

the sweet spot is in the $1-8 records, the average a shop will pay for an imported record is R$40 (about $20US). This will make you feel better about paying R$100 for those Jorge Ben OGs.

also agree on checking the condition of the stuff you buy. At this point I have the places I know I can trust, but I think everyone gets burned at some point. The good thing is I think Rio shops usually let you listen to the records before you buy, here in Porto Alegre only one or two of the shops let you do that, which means they get very little business from me...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    MusicaDelAlma said:
    If you can, it's really important to bring down stuff to trade in the shops in Rio to take the sting off the high prices. Things like clean copies of CCR, The Beatles, Blue Note jazz, roots reggae (probably easy for you to find cheap classics up in your area), classic funk & soul, etc etc does really well.

the sweet spot is in the $1-8 records, the average a shop will pay for an imported record is R$40 (about $20US). This will make you feel better about paying R$100 for those Jorge Ben OGs.

And not just used stuff. A friend of mine who deals records and goes to Brasil several times a year always brings stuff from my label to trade and does very well with it. There's very little new vinyl distribution in Brasil so a lot of new releases are very expensive or unavailable there.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    I follow this dude on facebook, he's constantly posting raers that come into his shop, and people I know have said good things about him. Haven't done any business with him yet, but he's top of my list if I ever go to Rio:

http://www.mararecords.com/

I never bought from this dude, but I have a few friends who had checked his stuff and all said that his prices are really crazy.

DOR, there will be a record fair in May, 05 in Rio. Everybody says it's a good fair with lots of brazilian stuff for fair prices.
    People there are interested, mostly, in Rock records (classic / crust related), so if you have anything bring it for trading.
    This is the fair's address: Instituto Metodista Bennett ??? Rua Marqu??s de Abrantes, 55 ??? Flamengo, from 12 to 20h.
    You can find more info here (Portuguese site):

http://www.baratosdaribeiro.com.br/vii-feira-de-discos-de-vinil-do-rj-dia-5-de-maio-de-2013-as-inscricoes-para-expositores-comecam-no-dia-18-de-marco/

Peace

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    MoogMan said:
    ppadilha said:
    I follow this dude on facebook, he's constantly posting raers that come into his shop, and people I know have said good things about him. Haven't done any business with him yet, but he's top of my list if I ever go to Rio:

http://www.mararecords.com/

I never bought from this dude, but I have a few friends who had checked his stuff and all said that his prices are really crazy.

that's the impression I get too, but he always has some holy grails in stock, stuff like Moacir Santos, Krishnanda, Orquestra Afro-Brasileira, etc. If you go to his place save it for last, that way you'll be used to the local prices and will have an idea of what's hard to find.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    These are great!

Thanks ppadilha, MusicaDelAlma, SPlDEY, pimlicosquirrel, Horseleech and MoogMan!

I had the best time when I last visited. This will truly add to a great vaca.

Looking forward to chilling out eating a??a?? and drinkin' Caipirinha's...