MOVIE HELP [NRR]

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
so a friend sent me this email a while back asking if i could recommend some films on the subject. i gave her a list and she said that theyre trying not to be so "didactic". so i need help in suggesting some movies. and no, i dont know what didactic means but i think it has something to do with being too arty or too nippy.here's the email she sent meI are compiling a list of films to screen for eventstargeting local communities -- youth in particular. The film series is beingdeveloped in conjunction with a multimedia exhibit promoting awareness aboutthe historic roots of the current housing crisis in Los Angeles, so filmsshown will have themes related to housing such as homelessness, displacementand gentrification.If you have recommendations for suitable films, let us know. We welcomesuggestions for films of any length/genre (e.g., shorter documentaries,"mainstream" feature length releases, etc.) We are especially interested intracking down stories that highlight international housing issues.thanks plaese!

Comments

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    We are especially interested in
    tracking down stories that highlight international housing issues
    Life in Debt

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Didactic=overly advisory. too "hands on". Film wise, I got nothing. I was thinking Fisher King, but eh, I can't even remember if dude was homeless or just mental.

* Wait, how bout that movie about the Aborigines getting screwed? Displacement out the yin yang. Called Rabbit Fences or something like that.

Peace

T.N.

• awesome!

and fisher king would be perfect methinks. someone else had recommended alien nation which i thought was brilliant!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    V

• V

of course! more plaese!!!

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Down and Out in Beverlyhills
    Pixote

that doc. about the people living underground in newyork with the shadow soundtrack.

• Didactic=overly advisory. too "hands on". Film wise, I got nothing. I was thinking Fisher King, but eh, I can't even remember if dude was homeless or just mental.

* Wait, how bout that movie about the Aborigines getting screwed? Displacement out the yin yang. Called Rabbit Fences or something like that.

Peace
    T.N.

"Rabbit Proof Fence"

How about Earth (Indian movie)--directed by Deepa Mehta (gonna need that in a web search)?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Down and Out in Beverlyhills

totally fantastic film.

some others:

Rabbit-Proof Fence - runaway kids avoiding becoming maids
    Dark Days - as mentioned in a previous post
    Running on Empty - River Phoenix! on the run with wanted hippy parents!
    Salaam Bombay - incredible and devastating about Bombay street kids
    No Place Called Home - National Film Board of Canada documentary about a very poor family having to deal with no affordable housing, very recent, pretty good
    On the Corner - amazing Vancouver film about homeless brother and sister, pretty recent
    The Saint of Fort Washington - mental illness and homelessness, Matt Dillon!
    The Children of Leningradsky - heart-breaking and very ugly, you will hate humanity...but worth it

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Apu Trilogy (Satyajit Ray)

• thanks people!

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    Killer of Sheep

• the super with joe pescie however you spell his name

• snosno 332 Posts
    We are especially interested in
    tracking down stories that highlight international housing issues.

You may wish to check out a Hong Kong flick produced in 1992 called "Lung Min" (Also known as "Cageman" in some VCD/DVD releases), about old folks living in squatters in HKG.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    BASQUIAT tracks an interesting journey from squalor to uber-richness. Plus he's the man, and bowie as andy?

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

Nobody Knows

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

Nobody Knows

COSIGN

so massive

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Nobody Knows

I saw this last year.
    Anyone that would tell me I needed to go see Million Doller Baby I just smirked and told them I thought the flick was very and told them to check Nobody Knows. Great film!

I've seen a couple of Hirokazu Koreeda films. This one is his best by far. Y??ya Yagira is great!

The gurl I saw it with didn't think it was believable (Eventhough it is loosely based on an actual incident). But then, she liked M.D.B.

BLAHHHHHhhh

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts

Streetwise is one of the best movies i've ever seen.
    Documentary about homeless kids from early 80s.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

I saw this last year.

Anyone that would tell me I needed to go see Million Doller Baby I just smirked and told them I thought the flick was very and told them to check Nobody Knows. Great film!

You going to the Toronto Film Fest this year? I saw Donnie Yen the other day out here in Marhkam. He's already up here to promo SPL. I managed to secure passes already but I haven't been allowed to select my films. I'm ready to punch people to get into Cache or SFLV...lol. Let me know if you plan on going... maybe we can link or some shit. I'd like to see SPL and I'm wondering if cats won't pass on it because there hasn't been much promo around it because of Seven Swords.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

I saw this last year.

You going to the Toronto Film Fest this year? I saw Donnie Yen the other day out here in Marhkam. He's already up here to promo his film. I managed to secure passes already but I haven't been allowed to select my films. I'm ready to punch people to get into Cache or SFLV...lol. Let me know if you plan on going... maybe we can link or some shit.

I got screwed on passes. A friend was going to hook me up, but in the end flaked out. I really wanna go this year tho...

Yen is here pushing Seven Swords? I haven't grabbed anything in a month... You didn't like it right? I need to hit up ur spot large!

I'll have to see what I can do about getting tickets for something tho... There are a few films I wanna see.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Nobody Knows

COSIGN

so massive

Great film - saw it @ the ICA in London last year - recommend Kore-Eda's 'After Life' as well...

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

• Apu Trilogy (Satyajit Ray)

big co sign on this one. i think this will open up new worlds for kids seeing those movies. if they don't fall asleep first.