April Finds 2013

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited April 2013 in Strut Central
Just back from Holland taking in the wonders of Amsterdam and Rotterdam. Went to all the usual spots and picked up the following:

Sonny Stitt - Black Vibrations - Great funky Prestige jazz.

Jeremy Steig - Temple of Birth

Danyel Gerrard - Atmosphere - Contains one of the best Euro funk tracks and can be picked up for nothing!

Ronald Stein - Getting Straight - Pigs Go Home is the track here.

Sergio Mendes - Primal Roots - My favourite Sergio LP. After Sunrise is perfect.

Salena Jones - Everybody's Talkin' - Great version of Morning Dew

The Girls from Bahia - US version of Quarteto Em Cy

In Search of Ancient Gods - Breaks!

Isis - Lesbian funk rock

Bossa Brasilia Band - Dutch bossa grooves

Guadeloupe Reflexions - Reissue of an impossible to find Islands LP

Sound Effects 24 - Combat

Electra - Adaptionen - East Euro jazz versions of classical music, not great imho!

Alive - Call it Jazz - Sealed copy of this lesbian jazz classic
Vanoni, De Moraes & Toquinho - Great samba jazz

Stephanie Mills - For the First Time - This has got to be a winning combination surely as its written by Bacharach and David!

Trubadurzy - Polish Beat. Not had a chance to listen to this yet. Not sure if its one of their best?
Paul Bley - Mr Joy - Avant jazz!

Raymond Boni - Reve en Couleurs - No idea about this one. French jazz guitarist on Jeff Gilson's Palm label.
Sebastiao Tapajos & Pedro Dos Santos - More jazz guitar but with a Brazilian twist. I'm after Vol 2 if anyone has a spare!

Guy Bonnet - Terrible LP with the exception of the Melody Nelson sounding Mister Nabukov

Tamba Trio - Samba Novo - Dutch issue of Brazilian classic!

Klaus Weiss - I Just Want to Celebrate - German big band funky jazz. Bought this LP many moons ago from Percy when he used to sell outside of the jazz caf??. Wasn't till I got the record home I realised that one LP was missing, never to be found!

Edu Lobo - More classic Brazilian gear. Never seen this UK issue before??

Louis Van Dyke Trio / Quartet - Great Dutch jazz session. Swinging!
Kay Gardner - Mooncircles SSW apparently sampled by Shadow?

Jorge Ben - Salve Simpatia - More Brazilian niceness!
Lucy Steymel - Goodbye to Grey - Never heard of this lady before neither had Lex in the fantastic Vinyl Spot from where I bought it. It kind of reminds me of Give it Up for Love by Ned Doheny!
Charlie Mariano - Cascade - Dutch jazz fusion

Cross Country - Much hyped on VG+ recently. Great listen!

Rhoda Scott - Molybdenum - Easily her best and funkiest LP imho!

Steve Grossman - Born at the Same Time - Not seen this LP before (Thanks again to Lex!)
George Adams - Confronto 22 - On the Italian label Horo. More great jazz.

Teca & Ricardo - Les Uns Par Les Autres - Senhor Piloto is classic!
Spencer Jackson Family - The Hand of God - Great gospel funk!

Johnny Raducanu - Jazz Made in Romania

Ronald Snijders - Black Straight Music - Hardest to find LP from this Dutch jazz artist. Latinetta rocks!

Mike Longo - Talk to the Spirits - Classic jazz!

Sebastiao Tapajos - Guitarra Fantastica - More Brazilian styled jazz guitar.
Leon Spencer - Sneak Preview - Prestige jazz funk!

Warm Dust - Peace for our Time - Funky jazz rock

Andrzej Kurylewicz - 10 + 8 - Contains one of my favourite euro jazz tracks "I Won't Stay with You"

Peter Wyngarde - Jason King - Odd concept LP of sorts! Mad!

Donald Byrd - A New Perspective - Cristo Redentor! Perfect

Association - Earwax - Hard to find euro jazz.
Dick Grove Orch - Little Bird Suite - Jazz exotica!

Some sealed hip hop!

Roxanne Shante 12's "Pay Back" "Roxanne's Revenge" "Queen of Rox"
The World Class Wreckin Cru - I still remember my monthly pilgrimage to Groove Records to pick up the latest imports. Was well pleased to get the 12" of Juice on one visit!

Living Stones - Jesus Music - The cover drew me to this one. Turns out its a Scottish private press.

I really like the music on here but it seems that MVE could only shift it when they dropped the price right down to 10P!!

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    Couldnt work in the studio due to some ear infection for the last 2 weeks so i decided to hit the road quite extensively. Here`s what i came up with, all OGs except the Lee Fields. Flea Markets, Thrifts, Record Stores. Ever since i moved to Utrecht in Holland things have been quite crazy recordwise and i am absolutly loving it. Will not be around for the fair this week but maybe for the next one.

art blakey is mono deep groove lexington address.

wall of fame 1998 related

the turkish stuff was a nice surprise my girl brought back from istanbul. Nigerian stuff was cheap but conditions are a bit off.

some 45`s

best 1 euro comeup in a while:

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Harumi S/T
    Peterson/Brown/Jackson/Hayes "Reunion Blues"
    Isley's "Brother, Brother, Brother"
    Young-Holt Unlimited "Oh Girl"
    Dick Hyman "Mirrors"
    The Coasters "On Broadway" (UK press)
    The Unemployed "Funky Rooster" / "They Won't Let Me" 45
    The Sister & Brothers "Yeah You Right" 45
    Popcorn Wylie "Funky Rubber Band" 45

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    inVrs said:
    the turkish stuff was a nice surprise my girl brought back from istanbul.

She's a keeper.

Nice Haul! That Exit 9 is :necessary:

These are copped around this area in the past little while:

If it hadn't been for Tabira posting a clip of Solid Air a few weeks back I would have flipped right past the John Martyn and missed one of the best records to hit my ears in a minute. SS rocks.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    inVrs said:
    the turkish stuff was a nice surprise my girl brought back from istanbul.

She's a keeper.

Straight up. Would love to have a BM 2020 + Zafer Dilek in my life. Scores!

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
     photo WP_000656_zpsae02fa6e.jpg

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    having quite a good month..

and cheap, too.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    DAMN. SPRING HAS SPRUNG IN HOLLAND!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    picked these up today:

Guilherme Lamounier s/t (1973) - someone asked about what else has a vibe similar to Erasmo's "Sonhos e Memorias," I think this comes close
    Z?? Ramalho - 1st solo album
    Tom & Dito - Se Mandar M'Imbora Eu Fico
    Jorge Mautner s/t (1974)
    Jorge Mautner - Para Iluminar a Cidade
    Jorge Mautner - Bomba de Estrelas
    recording of two Villa-Lobos chamber pieces
    O grito dos livres - some nueva cancion stuff

plus these 7"s:

Agnaldo Alencar - Carimb??
    Caetano Veloso's carnaval in London, 1971
    Nelsinho - looked promising and did not disappoint, even if it's a beat up copy. Nice samba/bossa from 1966
    Ney Matogrosso - Pra N??o Morrer de Tristeza/Bodas, pretty different from Secos & Molhados

Vincent Bell - Airport - thought this was some mysterious thing, but once I opened it I think it's a single from the movie!
    Tamba Trio - O Barraquinho/Influencia do Jazz/N??s e o Mar/Samba Novo
    Martinha - Eu sei o que quero/Pior pra voce, bem pior pra mim - it was on Rozenblit, so I took a gamble. Decent jovem guarda, nothing more.
    Gilberto Gil - Aquele Abra??o/O Ma Ia??

Marcos Valle - Estrelar
    Junior - The Snake

and I think this painting will end up on the list of things I regret not buying:

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Love that Z?? Ramalho album.

toby.d said:
    Love that Z?? Ramalho album.

yes, his first few albums are all pretty good. For reasons I can't explain I had passed on this one a few times, but I got these records as part of a trade where I took the crust of my cds to the local douchebag crustmeister and he gave me those LPs plus a small chunk of change. Starting to think I should have squeezed a few more records out of him though...

Really liking the Lucio Battisti number, almost cinematic in its uplifting yet melancholic flow.

Can OG long time want

the Ayers exceeded expectations.

Most all came from the show this past weekend, the La Kabala came from my mexican drug dealing, bless his soul.

• nice finds all.

is there an og pressing of that roy ayers record (maybe japanese?)? i know it was reiussed in the 90's...

crabmongerfunk said:
    nice finds all.

is there an og pressing of that roy ayers record (maybe japanese?)? i know it was reiussed in the 90's...

Yes, this is the Japanese OG from the early 70's

• ill!!! feel like trading it to me? i'll hook you up but good!

by the way, what is the actual market rate for this record:
    http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=roy+ayers+montreaux&x=0&y=0

• picked up a sealed orig. of this last week at a local record store for $10. Along with some sealed late 60s Blue Note Liberty pressings. very happy.

crabmongerfunk said:
    ill!!! feel like trading it to me? i'll hook you up but good!

by the way, what is the actual market rate for this record:
    http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=roy+ayers+montreaux&x=0&y=0

N*ah, I got the grip pretty bad on this Roy LP: bit of a white whale for me. It's the first I've bought of his in about 10 yrs, all others I needed were found a long while back. As for what it's worth, I think a lot of folks would have bought it for a bill back when I was paying attention, I got it for 40$ on Sun, clean.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    Marcos Valle - Estrelar

best. music video. ever.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Some pic sleeves business of late:

The Golden Cups (audio) / Shintaro Sakamoto's latest / Kaji Meiko promo that'd I'd never seen before / Another (killer) Kaji Meiko:

Minty Genesis = happy happy joy joy.
    Taj Mahal Travellers is P-vine.
    Inner is the nice Votary re
    Haruomi Hosono's Video Game Music was awesome to listen to the first time but dont know how often Ill revist.

My first J. A. Seazer Original:

Numero re-issue 45 only:

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Sweet lil baby J, y'all killing it this month

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    the La Kabala came from my mexican drug dealing, bless his soul.

Is it the Mexican press?

got around to listening to the Gilberto Gil 7" for Aquele Abra??o, didn't realize the b-side wasn't a cut from that same album, instead it's a different psych work out from him:

Horseleech said:
    LoopDreams said:

Is it the Mexican press?

El Salvadorian, which is a good press because it does not come with the pressing flaw skip that the peruvian in one has and the sound quality is very good.

LoopDreams said:
    Horseleech said:
    LoopDreams said:

Is it the Mexican press?

El Salvadorian, which is a good press because it does not come with the pressing flaw skip that the peruvian in one has and the sound quality is very good.

Nice! I have a NM Peruvian press that doesn't have the skip that most of them have, but the sound isn't great.

I have a Mexican 45 that sounds much better, not sure why the Peruvian is so poorly mastered.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Everyone's finds are rediculous.
    ppadhilla, loving the Gil! Thanks for that

Yo invers, how mUh was the placebo?!? How're people slipping in that in this day and age? One too many trip to the coffee shop?

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts

• tapatiotapatio 11 Posts
    a few of the many
    Attached files

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    Everyone's finds are rediculous.
    ppadhilla, loving the Gil! Thanks for that

Yo invers, how mUh was the placebo?!? How're people slipping in that in this day and age? One too many trip to the coffee shop?

it was cheap. nowhere near ebay prices. dude didnt give a f*ck, hes been selling placebos for hundreds of euros for years and this one was slightly off condition (vg cover) and i guess he had a good day and wanted to make me happy. he did for sure.

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    LoopDreams said:
    Horseleech said:
    LoopDreams said:

Is it the Mexican press?

Nice! I have a NM Peruvian press that doesn't have the skip that most of them have, but the sound isn't great.

I have a Mexican 45 that sounds much better, not sure why the Peruvian is so poorly mastered.

This album is way overdue for a proper reissue. I can't imagine it being that difficult being on RCA...

Lewis said:
    Horseleech said:
    LoopDreams said:
    Horseleech said:
    LoopDreams said:

Is it the Mexican press?

This album is way overdue for a proper reissue. I can't imagine it being that difficult being on RCA...

I was thinking about it a few years ago, but the boot put me off at the time.

It might be worth pursuing at this point, especially because RCA Mexico seems to be pretty good about retaining the master tapes.