Cassette to Digital?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited April 2013 in Strut Central
Im thinkin about converting my shit. Got a a gang of tapes that I can still play but there some stuff id like to play on my laptop.

Is it as simple as Tape Player to Computer + Audacity?

Ive never fusked w/ Audacity.......im a little intimidated.

Is it gonna sound like shit?

I dont see a Mic input on my Macbook Air...will the headphone jack suffice?

And a own a RCA to whatever cable. 2 to 1 shit.

Conversion for dummies please.

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I've converted a 100 or so mixtapes using audacity. They sound great.

I record a Stereo WAV file at 44100 Hz then export to a 320kbps MP3 using LAME in Audacity

• JibsJibs 12 Posts
    I've transferred lots of tapes to my computer in the last year. I like to use a walkman since it's small and easier to control than my tape deck. I turn off the "Mega Bass" and keep the volume relatively low, record into Audacity/Audition as a .wav, save it, depending on the quality i might run a de-hiss and then use the hard limit of 0 DB to bump all the volume levels up, then I save it as a 320 MP3.

I've also had good success running my walkman into the line input on my mixer and then my mixer into my computer.. This allows a bit more control over the sound, I use this when I find the bass to be really bad/distorted.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think the headphone jack on most Mac laptops also doubles as a mic input

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    It may be worthwhile to pick up a USB audio interface, rather than using the 1/8" jack. I use this Tascam interface which still works well (the new model sells for around $100 new):

Tascam US 122

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Snagglepus said:
    It may be worthwhile to pick up a USB audio interface, rather than using the 1/8" jack. I use this Tascam interface which still works well (the new model sells for around $100 new):

Tascam US 122

Dang...that thing and Audacity? Mad buttons to push.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    batmon said:
    Snagglepus said:

Tascam US 122

Dang...that thing and Audacity? Mad buttons to push.

Ha ha. It's not bad. You basically just plug it in and set the level with the knobs (you will need a couple of RCA to mono 1/4" adapters). Sound quality is much better than going with the 1/8" adapter.