Paging current and former comics heads

minneapminneap 541 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
I just recently bought an iPad and got the Comixology app at the recommendation of a buddy. The app's great but I haven't paid attention to comics in years and definitely missed a lot. I've bought a few "collections" but would like to get into some stories that are still coming out too.

Looking for recommended story arcs or series/volumes that are easy to jump into. Apparently there's a new X-Men that just started? What is House of M? Is there an easy way to read the Civil War story? Plaese to halp.

Comments

• 100 bullets
    y the last man
    the boys
    preacher

all can be torrented and transferred via dropbox

you're looking for anything in a .cbr or .cbz format if i'm not mistaken. i use the comicZeal app and love it as well.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    La Cosa Nostroid by Rob Schrab & Dan Harmon, if you like funny.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Saga by Brian K Vaughn
    Iron Fist by Matt Fraction
    Hawkeye by Matt Fraction
    The Authority
    Planetary
    100 Bullets
    Scalped

• caveat: the boys and preacher go a little heavy with shock tactics. the boys moreso, at times it takes away from an otherwise great concept.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts

^ Took me a bit to get into this but it's a good read.

new52 Animal man is cool haven't read a lot but I dig the psychedelic art. Weird story, written by the same guy as Sweet Tooth.

I like the new52 Batman too..

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    preacher
    I recently dusted off my Preacher set and read the whole way through.
    So good. Steve Dillon is a god.

• Walking Dead (Way better than the TV show)
    Invincible (Better than any current superhero book)
    100 Bullets(Co-sign)
    Preacher(Co-sign)
    Skull Kickers
    Bedlam
    Chew

• CHEW
    SCALPED
    SEVERED
    THE BOYS

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    Thanks for the recommendations kids. Looks like Marvel isn't much to check for these days? I think I might've picked up an issue of The Boys at a buddy's place a while back, will definitely look into that.

Is Dropbox a way around the apps? I assume you download PDFs of the comics and open em up through Dropbox?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You don't want PDFs unless your comicbook reader is specifically a .pdf only reader. I haven't seen much in that format tbh anyway.

Like the teenager VintageInfants said, you need to look for .cbr & .cbz files. Alternately you can use a .zip file containing .jpgs, although they're generally larger in size than the comic book specific compression files.

The latest version of the ComicZeal app has dropped Dropbox support and now you just upload through iTunes. I'm not familiar with the app you mentioned, but it's maybe worth noting that comiczeal is just a reader, there's no library or purchasable catalogue connected.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r522y/episodes/guide

^ BBC Radio drama of Neil Gamiens Neverwhere, great to listen at work

• .cbr extension can be renamed .rar and extract as jpegs
    .cbz extension can be renamed .zip and extract as jpegs

• Beatsoup said:

^ Took me a bit to get into this but it's a good read.

new52 Animal man is cool haven't read a lot but I dig the psychedelic art. Weird story, written by the same guy as Sweet Tooth.

I like the new52 Batman too..

my cousin draws for vertigo http://www.vertigocomics.com/talent/philip-bond infact his wife is executive editor for vertigo

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Marvel Unlimited.
    60 dollars for one year......access to the Marvel library.

World War Hulk with Romita Jr. Pencils is good.

i currently follow Nightwing on the DC App.

Got rid of Comixology.

Avengers vs X-Men had a good buildup with terrible ending.

Im ignoring Batmans Death In The Family.

The Van Sciver Green Lantern and Flash ressurections were cool.

Dont fusk with that Love And Rockets non super hero comics stuff.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    i like the latest #20 (?) acme novelty library. it is on a different tip than most comics though. I was gonna go back and read through the earlier ones at some point.

• Any android apps that support Dropbox?

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    Good looks all around. Currently 30 issues into The Boys with 100 Bullets and The Preacher on deck in the nifty little ComicZeal app.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    there will be a new asterix coming out by the end of this year

• i got a hunnit ish's of a hunnit bullets in a dropbox for those keen.

PM meh

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Hi - Can I please ask for some recommendations?

What are some good books/series for a 15 year old laid up in the hospital? Obviously not xxx, adult, super-violent, etc.
    In the empowering, inspiring, hero vein would be great.

I am familiar only with Love&Rockets;, Joe Sacco, Chester Brown and all the regular Batman/superhero stuff....I really need help with a wider range.
    Sorry if the criteria is vague.

• Scott pilgrim might be good. it's like a mix between a song off weezer's 'Pinkerton' and Japanese manga. plus it's set entirely in Toronto, complete with local references.

• wait... 15 year old guy or girl? if male, are you suuuuuuure he doesn't want a little sex and violence?

Thank You.

No sex, it would be weird for me to be giving him that material.
    No violence given the circumstances.
    But, if there are choices out there that do keep both to a minimum and within a reasonable context, please give me some titles. I can leaf through and figure it out that way. Is Beguiling still around or am I looking at Silver Snail?

• bassie said:
    Thank You.

But, if there are choices out there that do keep both to a minimum and within a reasonable context, please give me some titles. I can leaf through and figure it out that way. Is Beguiling still around or am I looking at Silver Snail?

i'd say silver snail is your best bet. bear in mind, they also changed locations. they're no longer across from the black bull on queen, they're at yonge and dundas square now beside the HMV. threw me for a loop too.

i'll say Y The Last Man again... and tack on The Underwater Welder [Lemire] or The Making Of [Evans]

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:
    Thank You.

I dont think a 15 year old is interested in a whole bunch of dialogue w/ no action. Drawn Soap Operas?

Just give him a regular ass book then.

?
    Like I basically said - action is fine, no over the top violence.

Underwater Welder looks great!
    I didn't know it had moved, but Yonge and Dundas is by my work so that makes life a lot easier!

Are you familiar with Ichiro? Thoughts?

Sorry to have side-tracked, just one other quick question and I'll step out - are Ultimate Spiderman (Morales) and Boondocks easily available? I have no concept of limited runs in this world.

No Ichiro, Boondocks or Ultimate Spiderman in stock, grabbed Underwater Welder and Batwing.

Thanks so much for the help!

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts

anyone read millar's "nemesis"? i thumbed through it at the shop and the sweaty guy behind the counter said something like "i cant waaiit until sam raimi directs the movie...." and there was no discernable way to tell if he was being sarcastic or not.

the tagline bills it as "what if batman was the joker?" seemed tempting enough