Beef Stew Recipe Strut

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    cool. i would nix can o tomatoes. you get plenty of flavour from the paste. also, no bacon fat?

this thread really helped me improve my stew-making abiltiies.

Yeah...i needed some persuasion to omit the can of tomatoes.

No bacon fat. Ill have enuff from the beef, lamb, butter, and olive oil or ghee. Ill just freestyle.

I would be cool to add a smokey undertone w/ bacon or chipotle. Maybe ill just add a pinch of smoked paprika when im breakin down the onion/celery.

• The Mrs. says try this because it's better for you than regular beef stew. It's French Beef Stew. It's also fancy enough that if you have guests they will think you spent all day making it.

- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
    - 1 pound boneless beef round, cut into one inch cubes
    - 1 small onion (chopped)
    - 1 cup dry white wine
    - 1 teaspoon dried herbes de provence (crushed)
    - 1/4 teaspoon of salt
    - 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
    - 2 cups water
    - 8 small new potatoes (halves)
    - 8 pearl onions (peeled)
    - 1 large tomato (chopped, seeded, and peeled)
    - 1/4 cup nicoise olives (pitted) or calamata olives (pitted)
    - 2 tablespoons of drained capers
    - 8 ounces of haricots verts or small green beans (trimmed and cut into 3 inch lengths)
    - 1 tablespoon of snipped italian flat leaf parsley (or any parsley you choose)

In a four to five quart dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Brown together the meat and the pearl onions. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until onion is tender and meat is brown. Drain off any fat. Add wine, stirring to loosen any brown bits from pan. Add herbes de provence, salt, pepper, and the water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for one 1/4 hours or until meat is nearly tender.

Add potatoes to the meat mixture. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 30 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir into tomato, olives, and capers heat through.

Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan, cook green beans covered in a small amount of boiling for five to seven minutes or until tender. Serve stew with green beans or garnish with parsley.

Adding this to the mix.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    batmon said:

Adding this to the mix.

don't go overboard with the star anise. I'd use it to make the beefstock instead of putting directly in the stew.

you people seem to be overlooking garlic. I always throw lots of garlic in my stews. And yes to marjoram.

barley can be good, but not for a thick stew, it'll just suck up all the water. It's not the holidays, but thanksgiving and christmas are good times to take the the turkey carcass and make a good soup, with barley to make it heartier.

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    I??m so witj Natmon.
    Fresj Nay leaves, Star Amise, ref wine.

no rouy if you have potatoes, but I would even skip on them and just reduce that ish.

Cinnamon. just a little bit. And orraisins from the start.

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    now I put some light on the keyboard.
    can??t see shit here.

ppadilha said:
    batmon said:

Adding this to the mix.

don't go overboard with the star anise. I'd use it to make the beefstock instead of putting directly in the stew. .

Yeah ill put it in a teaball w/ other shit that it dont want to eat.

• pointers:

definitely coat beef in flour! brown then remove

add shallots/onions to pan and sweat, then adding tomato paste for a few minutes to cook it out.

follow by deglazing the pan with wine mix, reserved from the overnight marinate ( do NOT marinate the vegetables with meat!!!)

with marjoram, thyme, rosemary, juniper berries, fresh bay leaf ( bouquet garni)

star anise IS overboard for this! roux is not necessary if cooking for many hours, it will naturally thicken!

think about adding some fortified wine to the marinate, 100-150ml - port especially

do NOT marinate for 2 days!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I found one of my grandmother's recipes...

2 1/2# of cubed beef in 1 1/2" pieces (brown well with 2 tbs. of grease)
    4 cups hot water
    1/4 cup red wine
    3 bouillon cubes
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/2 tsp. paprika
    1/8 tsp. cloves (or allspice)
    1 tsp. of lemon juice
    1 tsp. of worcestershire sauce
    1/8 tsp. of garlic powder
    1 sliced medium onion
    2 bay leaves
    1 Tbs. sugar
    6 carrots (peeled and quartered)
    1 # of small white onions

I grow my own chiles which I put on/in everything, so I got to try this adding some of those with other oddball stuff, as I am known to do.