long time lurker

tigerlooptigerloop 17 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
hey soulstrut

thought id finally register and post on here after lurking a loooooong time! think i was 27/28 when i first looked on here (im 36 now) so its been awhile, anyway i live in merseyside uk, im into mid 90's hip-hop, psyche, some prog, jazz fusion and collect various versions of hair but im no expert on any of these fields of music by a long shot, i also make beats (doesnt everyone)

anyway just thought id check in and say hello hopefully i can contribute some stuff back after learning so much from all of you guys (thanks for that)

peace

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Welcome!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    I'm a Widnes lad myself, Tiges. But been in Nottingham for close to 20 years now.

Red or Blue?

• im from southport so not too far away form there, i dont really follow the footy much but im a red

• Used to enjoy the Southport Weekenders.

• SP 1200 said:
    Used to enjoy the Southport Weekenders.

yeah its moved to minehead now for some reason its still billed (or was) as the southport weekender which is strange but i suppose they want the same crowd there, i think people actually from southport only started going in the last few years of it

• They'd built up a brand name with people in my area (Edinburgh) for being probably the best weekender so I suppose they wanted to keep it going. Don't know anyone who's been since it moved, I think a combination of older age, responsibilities and further to travel ended it for most unfortunately.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Welcome.

Please check in to The-Brits thread for orientation though feel free to never visit it again if the wetherspoons vibes are too creepy.

Also, obligatory Off The Wall or Thriller?

• i know a few people from southport who have travelled down to the new location of course they say its not the same, i never botherd with it myself by the time id thought id might like to go the line-ups were less and less appealing, i always found it strange some of the best musical acts/dj's in the world had played there yet in southport town none of the bars club dared play anything outside of the top 40, small towns for you i guess

• Junior said:
    Welcome.

Please check in to The-Brits thread for orientation though feel free to never visit it again if the wetherspoons vibes are too creepy.

Also, obligatory Off The Wall or Thriller?

haha ive lurked may times in the brits thread, im all about the wetherspoons

off the wall for me

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Not been to Minehead but stayed in a chalet on-site a few years back. Lot of raas yoot blessing man with soundsystems turned off the scale until speaker failure (100% true) 24/3, for the urban-ness. Intimadatory parking tactics. Rest were grown folk types there for the Northern/Modern/Future sounds. Geezer-birds. Wiry 50-somethings mouthing all the words to private-press white-label Northern 45s.

There were a few seeking, or on, class A's, for whatever value that adds - I guess sleeping on-site was fairly difficult with the windows rattling in their frames, so they were going for the Bez approach. I mitigated the whole affair with Red Stripe and Brian Auger on good headphones. I doubt the bad in people will ever cease to harsh my mellow. Sailor V.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    :hi:

• J i m s t e r said:
    Not been to Minehead but stayed in a chalet on-site a few years back. Lot of raas yoot blessing man with soundsystems turned off the scale until speaker failure (100% true) 24/3, for the urban-ness. Intimadatory parking tactics. Rest were grown folk types there for the Northern/Modern/Future sounds. Geezer-birds. Wiry 50-somethings mouthing all the words to private-press white-label Northern 45s.

There were a few seeking, or on, class A's, for whatever value that adds - I guess sleeping on-site was fairly difficult with the windows rattling in their frames, so they were going for the Bez approach. I mitigated the whole affair with Red Stripe and Brian Auger on good headphones. I doubt the bad in people will ever cease to harsh my mellow. Sailor V.

yes i think that probably sums the whole thing up, i know a few peole that take their own sound systems and indeed smash the class A's in for the entire weekend with that said these are the same people that seek out a relentless 4 to the floor all weekend not even a few moments to take in some lovely jazz fusion

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Great avatar. Welcome!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    creepy avatar! one of my favorite movies tho

welcome

can you give us a top 3 (for you at the moment) mid 90s hiphop, psyche, jazz fusion and hair stks?

• tripledouble said:
    creepy avatar! one of my favorite movies tho

welcome

can you give us a top 3 (for you at the moment) mid 90s hiphop, psyche, jazz fusion and hair stks?

im glad you said at the moment cos it changes constantly, what im listening to at the moment then ....

hip-hop

juggaknots - clear blue skies (saw them in new york last month)
    ultramagnetic mc's - the four horsemen
    raekwon - obfcl

psyche

white noise - an electrical storm (which i suppose is more electronic than psyche but whatevers)
    soft machine - vol 2
    the head shop - s/t

jazz fusion

lonnie liston smith - expansions
    herbie hancock - secrets
    stanley clarke - journey to love

hair

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I knew someone who was making a documentary about Galt MacDermot, but I can't stand musicals.

• ppadilha said:
    I knew someone who was making a documentary about Galt MacDermot, but I can't stand musicals.

lookin 4 galt macdermot was it called?

http://frolab.com/2012/12/21/doc-watch-lookin-4-galt-macdermot-directed-by-gasface/

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    tigerloop said:
    ppadilha said:

lookin 4 galt macdermot was it called?

http://frolab.com/2012/12/21/doc-watch-lookin-4-galt-macdermot-directed-by-gasface/

no, it was two guys from New York doing it and it's nothing to do with hip-hop, more of a straight up bio. They weren't looking for him, they found him and interviewed him and shit. Doesn't seem like he's the kinda guy you'd have to go on some journey to locate. Anyway, I knew one of the directors but he died last year. His partner is still finishing the film though, I think it's supposed to be done later this year.

• welcome to the jungle.

who do you support?

peace, stein. . .