Selector's Block (can't figure out how to start my next mix-r)

JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
Any of ya'll ever feel like you are sitting with a pile of heat, tons of ideas and the potential to create a really fun mix but you don't know how to start it? That's where I'm at right now. I have a bunch of shit in my crate and a bunch of ideas to get creative with but I just haven't been able to find a good way to kick that shit off. Normally, I can just push through and I end up with an idea but this one has been particularly tough to get around...I think it's because I have all these new tools with Serato and the ability to do my own re-edits and then throw those into the mix (which I've neer had access to before)...it's like information overload...and I'm sure I'm overthinking it.

How have yall gotten around this type of thing?

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Walk around somewhere busy for an hour, you'll get a theme or a few words that stick in your mind.

For example, my thoughts are currently "Get a f*cking job, get a f*cking job". Alas, my doo-wop game is mad wheak, yo. So no vinyl can step to that plate for me.

Your mileage may vary.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    i sorta feel the same, since i got my serato popping, its been tough to put a set together...there is so much that can be done, that it is almost overwhelming...reminds of back in the day when i first got internet and knew i could find everything and anything and couldnt figure out what to look up for the first few hours....just sat there in stun mode, trying to figure out where to start or how to...

i figure once i get more familiar with pushing buttons than reaching for records in my crate..it'll all come together

*fingers crossed

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey JectWon,

Usually, I get inspiration from a particular track that really moves me. Then, I build the mix around the feel of that pivotal song. Maybe, you should listen to a stack and see where it leads you. Finally, pick the track that really and strongly sets the tone for the rest of the mix. I hope this helps.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey JectWon,

Usually, I get inspiration from a particular track that really moves me. Then, I build the mix around the feel of that pivotal song. Maybe, you should listen to a stack and see where it leads you. Finally, pick the track that really and strongly sets the tone for the rest of the mix. I hope this helps.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

This

Also, fwiw, I usually start with softer sounds and build towards a climax :pasue: where the next track is a bit heavier than the last until I hit the pivotal track. After that, I come back down and taper off. There will be connectivity in the tracks you select if you follow a sequence (obviously), and in that connectivity, a mood or theme emerges, which informs your choice of what to add/remove after a few dry runs.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    parallax said:
    Also, fwiw, I usually start with softer sounds and build towards a climax :pasue: where the next track is a bit heavier than the last until I hit the pivotal track. After that, I come back down and taper off. There will be connectivity in the tracks you select if you follow a sequence (obviously), and in that connectivity, a mood or theme emerges, which informs your choice of what to add/remove after a few dry runs.

I was going to say the same, but it sounded too much like sex.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    parallax said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey JectWon,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

This

Also, fwiw, I usually start with softer sounds and build...

Yeah, that is typically what I do, as well. I think part of my current hang up is that I'm trying to come up with a set that transfers nicely to playing out...and typically my live sets are more upbeat from the get-go...

Actually, I think that's exactly my problem. I have always started my lil mix tape sets real chill and then built from there...and this might be the first time that I want to start a little upbeat from the jump.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've got the house to myself tonight so I can't wait to get done with work, lock down in the lab and battle through this shit.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The less you think about it, the better you'll do.

Be the mix, my friend.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Be the mix, my friend.

I know, dude...I know. I was thinking about that once I realized I was thinking too much about it. THEN I started thinking about how the act of posting a thread about it further gets me off the path of not thinking about it...then I felt really mortal and finite...

Luckily, I have a 'record' button and a vaporizer in the lab...I'm going to see what combining those two things does in an effort to stop thinking so damn much about it.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    JectWon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Be the mix, my friend.

I know, dude...I know. I was thinking about that once I realized I was thinking too much about it. THEN I started thinking about how the act of posting a thread about it further gets me off the path of not thinking about it...then I felt really mortal and finite...

Luckily, I have a 'record' button and a vaporizer in the lab...I'm going to see what combining those two things does in an effort to stop thinking so damn much about it.

LOL!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    um you're going to need some clips about chemistry and DRUMS and maybe some old news clip about this new thing called hiphop

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    My mixes usually start with an idea based around 3 or 4 songs in a row.
    I then usually build either backwords and/or forwards untill i have something that works.
    Rarely do i ever start a mix, from scratch, at track #1.

• JectWon said:
    ...then I felt really mortal and finite...

[/thread]

you sir, have answered your own question.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    um you're going to need some clips about chemistry and DRUMS and maybe some old news clip about this new thing called hiphop

yea then maybe some kung-fu samples from a DJ Rectangle record. that would be sweeeeeeet.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    what matthew said...

put the creative ideas that you have together. dont worry about wher they are going to fit in

body first. intro later (or whenever inspiration strikes)

• The last mix I made I experimented with some things. I always started low and built up before. This time I started with high bpms (125) but chill mood-wise and moved to low bpm (100) but higher energy. It ended up being my favorite mix I've made.

I always ease into it, too. I feel like you have to set a mood before you hammer your listener.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    it's never a bad idea to start slow

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    damms said:

Sort of like bonin', you have to crescendo to the climax. :real_headz:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    damms said:

Sort of like bonin', you have to crescendo to the climax. :real_headz:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak