Replacing the cartridge vs replacing the stylus...(Sure M44-7-R)

JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
I know there was a cartridge replacement thread earlier but I find this to be different so I thought I'd make a different thread.

It's time for me to replace my cartridges...the last thread definitely reminded me of that.

That being said, when I hopped on to amazon it struck me...what would be the reasoning to NOT just replace the stylus? The stylus on the m44-7 is cheaper than replacing the whole cartridge and way easier to install. I've always had a little hatred towards those little fucking screws and wires that accompany the cartridge install process.

Anyone know when it's time to replace one or the other?

Comments

• Seriously. I don't know why I never thought to just replace the stylus. Save about $60 a pop as well

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Seriously. I don't why I never thought to just replace the stylus. Save about $60 a pop as well

The moment I realized that was a possibility, I felt bad for not thinking about it in time to let you know that might be an option. Something tells me it might be too good to be true...it seems like it would be a bitch to ship just the cartridge.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I've only ever replaced the stylus.

447 and 44G are interchangeable too, so you can get louder or smoover (depending on your mood).

I kind of like the old school wiring assembly trial a new cartridge puts the new buyer through. That's crazy. What other product has as much tedious assembly? Love it. Ridiculous!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Unless there are obvious problems with the cart itself (pretty rare), just replace the stylus.

dukeofdelridge said:
    IWhat other product has as much tedious assembly? Love it. Ridiculous!

I know I think it's a great way to force people to get comfortable with a skill/thing that they will constantly come into contact with as a record nerd...wires, screws, frustration.

BUT, I've already out kicked my coverage of trouble shooting tediously annoying shit recently when I spent 5 hours trying to identify the source of a rattle coming from both of my shitty Event Tuned Reference 5 speakers. It was like playing a game of operation with my speakers and it ended up literally being the wood on the back of the cabinet....

After all that screw tightening, trouble-shooting and youtubing...THIS ended up being the fix:

Luckily, I can use those clamps to squeeze the two pieces of the cabinet that are rattling against each other. And it's the oddest tracks that trigger the rattle...of course it's the bass...but not from the likely culprits...the bass that really made it rattle was virtually any instrumental from Pete Rock and CL's 'The Main Ingredient' LP...wtf.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Galloping Gertie natural frequency type shit

your speakers are dangerously close to disintegrating.
    impaled by a hunk of cabinetry as you record your hot 16s over a pete rock instrumental

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    I've never replaced the whole bloody thing, just the stylus.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Same here. Somewhere in my basement I have a small box full of styli that got bent or broken at gigs that I never threw away. Same carts (44G's) the whole time.

dukeofdelridge said:
    Galloping Gertie natural frequency type shit

your speakers are dangerously close to disintegrating.

Are you serious? It wouldn't be the end of the world because I was already leaning towards replacing the fuckers. But if I'm missing something please let me know.

Thanks for the info, man.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    You wouldn't buy a new car when you need new tires, would you?

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    damn! this is a good question that I have honestly never thought about either, I have always just replaced my stylus, I few years ago the wife got me two M44-7-H's (M44-7's mounted on technics headshells) and that was the first time I replace my cart and stylus in one for about 10 years or so..

my old cart's are still on my other technics headshells, minus the styluseseseseses...... I cant see any reason to get rid of them so I bought new stylus for both of them and have em for spares..

curious to know if Shure has any reasoning as to why you would need to replace the cart, other then if it was faulty/damaged

• Controller_7 said:
    You wouldn't buy a new car when you need new tires, would you?

Yeah, this. The cartridge isn't actually being subjected to any kind of physical wear and tear. The stylus gets worn down from friction and bent out of shape from all those drunk Beckys bumping into your tables.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    ^^^^ Drunk Beckys. bwahahahahahaha

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Unless there are obvious problems with the cart itself (pretty rare), just replace the stylus.

when being broke goes fine.

i thought it was common knowledge that you only had to change the styli. for most cartridges, that is. i imagine higher end and audiophile shit is different.