The Harlem Shake (Dance-related)

2»

Comments

• I'm gonna round up Arnold Schwarzenegger, Richard Dawson, Maria Conchita Alonso and Xavier Daniels and show them old 90's Hip Hop videos so that they complain about The Running Man and Cabbage Patch dances.

• I think what bugs me most is when people who hated the original Harlem Shake / Puff Daddy era of Hip Hop complain about this new phenomenon. Fool, you hated the dance in the first place! Why you trying to uphold its' honor now?!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    sometimes white people make me sad

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    first two things that came to my mind when i saw this was blackface and minstrel shows.

• This week the Billboard Hot 100, the magazine???s 55-year-old singles chart, takes a evolutionary step by incorporating YouTube plays into its formula.

But the remarkable trajectory of ???Harlem Shake??? led Billboard to move forward right away on its methodology update, something it had been in discussions with YouTube about for nearly two years, Bill Werde, the magazine???s editorial director, said on Wednesday.

GAME CHANGER.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    People that are getting mad at this really need to check their priorities. I mean, bauer may have actually had the real harlem shake in mind? It was some college kids wilding out in a dorm room that started a meme.

Its just kids digesting and consuming pop culture and spitting it back out. As they are known to do. No, EDM trap music has little to do with elaborate metaphors for drug dealing in the south, or a now ancient T.I. album...

Similarly, dubstep isnt particularly connected to old Lee Scratch Perry and Jamaican socio-political conditions.

Kids need a million new genres cause theres so much music out there its really hard to sort without tagging shit like a blog post. This is not the gentrification of anything, and calling it that kind of shits on the issue of real gentrification in american urban cities which as far as I know, is still very much a problem. Right?

Personally, I think its fun and kinda goofy and makes a lot of people angry. My kind of music if you really get down to it. Any way you slice it i'll take 808's over more Fm8 growls. That was getting super tired. I'd like to further add that this whole thing is very soulstrut related.

Diplo's label put it out, Dj Ayers made the sample cd that the vocals came from. Not sure if either of them hang out so much anymore, but it feels like a pretty logical extension of the whole philly Hollertronix sound and attitude.

Imagine if youtube was around in the days of "everybody was kung fu fighting" or "Disco duck" or something.

I guess i can understand cultural critics being mad though, seeing as how they have been rendered functionally irrelevant by dumb shit in the comments section and most of them have no jobs anymore.

• Bsides said:

I guess i can understand cultural critics being mad though, seeing as how they have been rendered functionally irrelevant by dumb shit in the comments section and most of them have no jobs anymore.

ewf.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Bsides said:

ewf.

Heh. Anyone going to rise to that? Bueller?

It's in the nature of memes generally that the early adopters get salty about that shit crossing over to the mainstream and being "diluted", ridiculous as such a notion is. The irony of it is that, while it's some "revenge of the nerds" shit on one hand - all those smart, awkward kids with behavioural problems and no social skills, forced into lives as computer-bound shut-ins, who suddenly find themselves subtly shaping the direction of popular culture - it's inevitable that at some point it'll result in those self-same nerds' l337 language being adopted by the very people they despise. Yacub wins.

• DocMcCoy said:
    Yacub wins.

always.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    what goes up...

• willie_fugal said:

OOOOOOOH WEEEEEEE!!!

b/w

"Okay, NOW I like that song." Yaaaaaawwwnnn...

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I can only imagine how the boy Faux_Rillz feels about this movement. Must be driving him nuts.

• from about half a year ago.

• Herm said:
    willie_fugal said:

OOOOOOOH WEEEEEEE!!!

b/w

"Okay, NOW I like that song." Yaaaaaawwwnnn...

still not a fan? OK, how about this one....

• willie_fugal said:

Oh I've BEEN a fan. Just poking fun at the people who will like it now that Elephant Man's on it.

And YES! I've been itching to play that banda/quebradita remix since I got it a few days ago. My weekly gig is tomorrow and I squeeze a lot of cumbia and some 3ball (tribal) and banda into the mix at times. My crowd are suckers for that. (This is Tucson, after all.) I CAN'T WAIT to see their reaction when that part drops.

• You playin this jam too herm?

• Grandfather said:
    You playin this jam too herm?

HELL NO. Ha ha.

I play a lot...A LOT... of Chingo, but that cover hurts my ears! I DLed, listened to the first minute or so and quickly deleted it.

"Banda Makes Her Dance" on the other hand...

• This gets a lot of play too:

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Turns out the sampled voice for "Do the Harlem Shake" is none other than Hennessy Youngman. Big fan of his youtube curated series Art Thoughtz:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/entertainment/celebrities_gossip/Former-Philadelphian-is-the-voice-behind-the-Harlem-Shake.html

• I wanna know where the "con lo terorista" sample came from. That and the Spanish sample on "Yaow!"

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    it was only a matter of time until someone did a mash-up of this with Brazil's ridiculous song of the moment:

apparently one of the fashion trademarks of the kids who sing "Aah Lelek Lek Lek Lek Lek Lek Lek Lek Lek Lek Lek" is putting sequins on their teeth using superglue.

• Herm said:

And YES! I've been itching to play that banda/quebradita remix since I got it a few days ago. My weekly gig is tomorrow and I squeeze a lot of cumbia and some 3ball (tribal) and banda into the mix at times. My crowd are suckers for that. (This is Tucson, after all.) I CAN'T WAIT to see their reaction when that part drops.

man, that sounds fun as hell! if i'm ever out in tucson i gotta come through to that.

Jonny_Paycheck said:

"Where there's a hit, there's a writ" was never truer.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I didn't really care about the people freaking out because it wasn't the real Harlem Shake. Of course it's not, it was a bunch of dumb college kids wearing costumes in their crappy dorm acting like idiots.

BUT, you have to be a total moron to sample with out a permit in 2013. It's fine if your just giving everything away, but the label and the artists should have at least had it in the works once they decided to charge for the single. Word to Bauer, you better make some more hits, because your going to need the money to pay legal fees.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    the idea, advanced in that Times article, that poor wittle M/D couldn't stop the gravy train long enough to get clearances because they don't have a proper legal/admin dept is laughable, though.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    the idea, advanced in that Times article, that poor wittle M/D couldn't stop the gravy train long enough to get clearances because they don't have a proper legal/admin dept is laughable, though.

Couldn't agree more. If you have a dude in your office looking after licensing, then there's no earthly reason that same dude can't take care of a couple of master buyouts for a few hundred bucks each.

Back when I was in the sample clearance game, something I used to say to indies and one-man operations all the time was; if you're not in a position to clear a sample ahead of the release, or you don't want to risk being denied approval for something that's only coming out in a run of, say, 500, then at least make sure you know exactly who you need to clear it with. Some people will always try to wing it, at least initially, and that's understandable. But once that shit's out there, you have absolutely no control over who's going to hear it. And if you find yourself with a runaway hit on your hands without having made any attempt to set the clearance process in motion, you leave yourself with 0 bargaining power and put yourself at the mercy of the rights owners. There's a very well-known British act who got hit hard to the tune of a high six-figure sum for an uncleared sample on one of their biggest tunes three years after it came out. What happened was the guy who wrote the sampled song went to the movies one night and heard it on the soundtrack. He called his lawyer the next morning. There's a correspondence file for the song in the archives of one of the companies I used to work for. It's about five inches thick, and it makes for fascinating reading.

Speaking of reading, out of the multitudinous Harlem Shake stories there's been over the last few weeks, I must have seen at least a half-dozen talking in detail about the provenance of the samples, specifically how one of them originated from a DJ tools EP that a dude on the Hollerboard put out and the other is from a record by a Philly rap crew. I dunno what they thought would happen once it took off, but my own experience tells me that, in situations like this, clearing the sample is just about the last thing that occurs to anyone - everyone always assumes someone else is taking care of it.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    It???s almost like they came on my land and built a house