The Life Of Pi

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
:face_melt:

Is there a thread already? i couldnt find it.

this is the fuckin shit.

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Never read the book, but I thought the movie was mad corny, though some of the shots were pretty impressive.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    http://www.fastcocreate.com/1682488/when-winning-an-oscar-means-bankruptcy-vfx-artists-protest-the-academy-awards#1

Shame the vfx company behind it went bust days before they won the Oscar. Hollywood farming out the vfx to the far east who will undercut anyone for a buck. Even the Pixar guys are struggling.

They tried to highlight this in their speech, but got the Jaws-face with the quickness.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    mad corny.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:

I thought the movie was mad corny

read the book first. the book is cool. i was surprised they made a movie out of it anyways.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    http://www.fastcocreate.com/1682488/when-winning-an-oscar-means-bankruptcy-vfx-artists-protest-the-academy-awards#1

Shame the vfx company behind it went bust days before they won the Oscar. Hollywood farming out the vfx to the far east who will undercut anyone for a buck. Even the Pixar guys are struggling.

They tried to highlight this in their speech, but got the Jaws-face with the quickness.

That sucks, I didn't know they were going under. I watched their acceptance speech. Good dudes. They made that film, not Ang Lee.

The intro to the movie sucks though., when I saw the opening scene and cheezy credits, I was like ahh fuck waste of money; it got better, without the visual effects the movie could never be made. Some beautiful scenes though especially in 3D. Not really a kids movie. blah, blah.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Book was good, movie looked gorgeous. 'Specially in 3D.

It was difficult story to pull off visually, but they did an excellent job.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I read the OG that the Pi dude bit:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Ken Jennings had a great tweet about it: "My Japanese friend wants to know what SUPER TIGER ACTION LIFEBOAT was called in America."

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Grope said:
    surprised they made a movie out of it anyways.
    I was too... but haven't seen it. Enjoyed the book.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Jean Pierre Jeunet was originally slated to direct it.

• i read the book last year. i was really surprised to find out they were making a movie. i think they did a wonderful job bringing the story to life and conveying the point of the book in a simple and entertaining manner. i've watched the 3-d version twice and would be happy to see it again.

peace, stein. . .

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    rape_donkeys, actually was very critical of it on Waxidermy as well!

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Ken Jennings had a great tweet about it: "My Japanese friend wants to know what SUPER TIGER ACTION LIFEBOAT was called in America."

Ha!

I thought the CGI was probably the most impressive I've seen. The intro was actually my favourite part, it reminded me of a Wes Anderson film and made Puducherry look amazing (I don't know if it really looks like that).

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    Herm said:
    Book was good, movie looked gorgeous. 'Specially in 3D.

It was difficult story to pull off visually, but they did an excellent job.

Further, while the story is obviously steeped in spirituality, a clear point didn't really crystallize for me after reading the book... but I actually came to a conclusion about that aspect after watching the film. So yeah, I thought the movie did a great job with very challenging material.

Anyone read the book Martel did before Pi, Self? Great book... but in terms of "filmability", it makes Pi look like Spiderman.