Festival 101

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
So let's say a dude has never been to anything other than soul weekenders, and might be off to an outdoor mud n sun n tent weekend or two over the festival season.

I appeal to the strut hive mind to help with a basic do/don't set of recommendations. What essentials to take, what to leave at home, what life-saver items are known only to festival veterans.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Camper van
    Taser
    Galoshes
    Scouse to English dictionary
    ??2750 cash money
    Disclosure t-shirt
    Woad
    Laudanum
    Teleporter

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    DON'T

• PattrickPattrick 57 Posts
    Immunize yourself from middle class name rage.

'Tarquin! Don't do that!

'Cordelia darling come and listen to this nose flute ensemble'

'Oh Henry come away from that puddle'

For dayzzz.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    GSOH
    Ability to forget the line "Is this the way the future's really meant to feel, or just 30,000 people standing in a field?"
    Earplugs so you can kip through late-night drivel.
    Ability to spot and distance oneself from feral scousers.
    Cheap wellies or waterproof footways.
    Placcy bags to shit in. You might get the shits from just about everything you touch being contaminated by faeces.
    Take nothing you can't afford to lose or have stolen, including the tent.
    Toilet roll.
    Baby wipes.
    Torch.
    Batteries.
    Water.
    Clean clothes in a bin liner.
    At the end, put your clean clothes on and leave everything else in the bin liner as they will be permanently contaminated by organic matter of unknown sources.
    Good YOLO inner-chant.

• PattrickPattrick 57 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

Earplugs so you can shut out the maddening sound of students playing the same rhythm on bongos all night.
    Fixed and no I don't even party.

I went to Teh Bonnaroo once, in 2003. But I was working, so it was all good. I had a hotel room and a shower and a van that took us back and forth, and access to the artist food and booze tent to keep me happy.

I was a camera assistant for the crew that was doing that year's dvd of the festival. We were covering the second stage, so I got to see some good bands. I also got to see Ani DiFranco. One night, as we waited to film the midnight performance by Primus, the fans grew impatient and started pelting us with mud and beer cans since we were the only people on the stage. The weather was hot and miserable throughout, except for late in the afternoon on the 2nd day when a thunderstorm rolled through. This led to epic Jim James guitar solos being played on the edge of the stage as the rain poured down on him and also to a muddy pandemonium that added a visual dimension to the olfactory offenses that were already being committed by the festival goers. There was the skinny boy who took mushrooms, stripped naked, and sat on a tree stump for hours as he plucked his braces off. There was the dude who turned up at the nurse tent with a urinary infection after he spent the previous night humping the mud under the influence of something or other.

The one kid in the film crew who as a phishhead declined the offer to stay in the hotel and went three days without sleep or shower. By the final night he was just babbling incoherently as he dug his feet into a puddle of mud outside the production trailer. Someone shone a flashlight on his feet and tracked the liquid in the puddle all the way back to some port-a-potties several yards away. The next day his feet were swollen and he had a cut on one of them that could've made a cameo in a David Cronenberg movie. The funk on him could be smelled for days. He was in my van for the long ride back to NYC.

Hippies, hippies everywhere. hippies everywhere. hippies everywhere.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Try to set up near the kid friendly area if they have one, will be quieter and cleaner than the rest of the grounds.
    Ear plugs for certain.
    Sun-shower http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-SunShower-showers-Capacity-gallons/dp/B000NVC1JY
    Wet wipes
    Some type of jerky/trail mix/fruit
    Tweezers
    Umbrella for shade from sun/rain
    Foam mat for sitting/kneeling/sleeping.

• GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
    Golf cart.
    A kite, or balloon, that glows.
    MRE, Meal Ready To Eat (from army surplus store)
    Stuff to trade. Like grateful dead tapes.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

• Stick to the soul weekenders Skel. What ones do you usually go to? I've been to Southport a few times before it moved, much prefered that to something like T In The Park.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Thanks all

Never been to a festival, it is a YOLO experience that must be had.
    Weekenders: Southport, Prestatyn, random ones in Essex and Kent. Good times.

• Most seasoned festival goers swear by a plentiful supply of Class A's for sustinence/negating toilet trips.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    I have only been played at a few outdoor shows, there is always sumthin that you'll end up forgetting....ALWAYS!!!

toilet paper
    baby wipes
    change of cloths (extra socks)
    rain gear
    first aid kit
    flint for fire
    glow sticks (not for tweaking out on acid)
    enough drugs/booze to last you the weekend
    ear plugs
    rubber boots
    tent
    clean water
    food (dried jerky/trail mix)
    fork & knife
    plate/bowl for eating

since I started hiking more and more a few years back I usually pack any main essentials I would need if I ever was stuck in the woods overnight for a few night by myself in my backpack...

• GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
    The necklaces with the miniature harmonicas on them seem cool.

A friend of mine once used one of those to quit smoking. He'd just put the harmonica in his mouth instead and start playing a song.

• find a doomsday prepper and take all his stuff when his peyote kicks in

hang out in the Mitzvah Tank, convert to orthodox judaism, become a rapper.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Try and find out a little about the topography of the site beforehand if possible - is it flat or hilly, are there natural basins, etc. It's not essential, but it'll help you avoid pitching your tent in low-lying areas where you may be at the mercy of the rainwater, mud, effluent, etc. as it proceeds downhill during the inevitable deluge.

Also; Imodium. :real_headz: (doo-doo-everywhere-but-on-a-stick-r)

Which festivals are you thinking of, S?

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    Some tips i've learned over many years of festival attendance..

Beg, borrow or steel some sort of crew or artist pass. It will turn your experience from struggle to enjoy, to real fun guarenteed, from parking to distance to stages to showers and shit, it makes a world of difference. If it means chuckin in a few hours, DJin at a food area or helping out somewhere all the better, 9 times out of 10 pitching in at a festival is more fun than actually attending, the crew are generally good craic, know where all the good partys are, have the good connects and you'll save loads of time on Qs & money on everything.

Avoid Big acts on Big stages. The sound is usually extremely shit and crowds will drive you nuts. Generally the smaller the stage the better, particularly as the nights progress, marquees generally are decent as well/

Bring a soft cooler bag b/w make friends with vendor near your spot with ice maker. (cocktail bar or such)

Bring some sort of fold up chair. One of those camping ones with the beer can holder in the arm ideally. If it rains even a tiny bit sitting on the ground is piles... suppin a brew in your chair = ballin. If its sunny, and your in your shorts and flipflops, quaffing a chilled(see above) cider in your chair = also ballin.

Bring Boots, Trainers & Flip Flops or Sandals. Wellies are for farmers

Sunglasses. Essential for bleery eyes and talent czechin .

Ditch your fancy phone, and switch to your first nokia for weekend. Same with wallet, just bring cash.

Lastly, bring a couple bottles of spirits and a hipflask, lot of festivals these days stop you bringin your own booze into the 'arenas's'. save mad loot with your own supply of rum in your back pocket and your cooler bag with ice, your ready chopped limes, straws and bit of sugar within.

enjoy,
    mick

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Went to my first Glastonbury in 1995 with no ticket, my dole cheque and an eighth of hash. Two friends similarly equipped, one tent to share. Jumped the fence, had a great time. The weather - hot, dry, approx 200,000 in attendance

Went to my last Glastonbury in 1999 with a ticket, plenty of money, my own tent, and loads of friends. Did not like:

The weather makes or breaks a festival in this country. Go abroad!

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Went to my first Glastonbury in 1995 with no ticket, my dole cheque and an eighth of hash. Two friends similarly equipped, one tent to share. Jumped the fence, had a great time. The weather - hot, dry, approx 200,000 in attendance

Went to my last Glastonbury in 1999 with a ticket, plenty of money, my own tent, and loads of friends. Did not like:

The weather makes or breaks a festival in this country. Go abroad!

Ha, Dito!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Actually, this is pretty sound advice. Some of the Euro festivals are a much more attractive proposition for many than the same tired old posts on the UK circuit. Benicassim springs to mind. My brother works for one of the big promoters during the touring season and freelances as an artist liaison manager on the festival circuit during the summer. Diva/rock-star demands notwithstanding, it's a bit of a busman's holiday for him. Never more so than Benicassim, he once told me. He did it two or three summers on the trot and had a great time.

Exit in Serbia is supposed to be great, as is Primavera in Spain, and a few mates threw a boat party at the Dimensions festival in Croatia last year that was supposed to have been one of the highlights of the event. There's one in St. Malo (or there was) that's supposed to be pretty good as well.

DocMcCoy said:
    Actually, this is pretty sound advice. Some of the Euro festivals are a much more attractive proposition for many than the same tired old posts on the UK circuit. Benicassim springs to mind. My brother works for one of the big promoters during the touring season and freelances as an artist liaison manager on the festival circuit during the summer. Diva/rock-star demands notwithstanding, it's a bit of a busman's holiday for him. Never more so than Benicassim, he once told me. He did it two or three summers on the trot and had a great time.

Exit in Serbia is supposed to be great, as is Primavera in Spain, and a few mates threw a boat party at the Dimensions festival in Croatia last year that was supposed to have been one of the highlights of the event. There's one in St. Malo (or there was) that's supposed to be pretty good as well.

Lots of festivals out there - S. What kind of festival experience are you after? I work across quite a few ... might be able to suggest some options. Benicassim is a good one but don't camp, get a hotel. Even with flights, tickets, hotel and the rest it'll still come in at the same price as Glasto would do for the weekend.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Thanks all, great advice here.

Doc and Yadda: Hadn't thought of abroad, that's a good call.

O, was looking at Cornberry.
    Keane for the lady, Osibisa for me

::wink::

skel said:
    Thanks all, great advice here.

Doc and Yadda: Hadn't thought of abroad, that's a good call.

O, was looking at Cornberry.
    Keane for the lady, Osibisa for me

::wink::

One of the ones I don't work on but I hear good things about it from promoters. Other UK festivals in the same vein are Wilderness (Rodriguez this year!) and Latitude. Although the former can be insufferably middle class it's a beautiful setting with lots of room.
    Latitude haven't announced the line-up yet but from I've seen it's looking pretty good - better than the last couple of years, anyway.
    Green Man is also fun although more ecelectic (in a good way) on the music tip and all the way over on the Welsh borders plus greater chance of rain...
    Number 6 Festival down in Portmeiron in September is also shaping up well - it's a bit more civilised so more venues than muddy fields .
    Hop Farm festival in Kent is always worth keeping an eye on - they manage to pull in some top acts and recent years have had Prince, Dylan, Neil Young, Iggy and the Stooges, Graham Central Station, Dr John, Primal Scream plus all the flavour of the month whipppersnappers. It's the same team behind Benicassim.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    When the job situation clears, I want to give this a shot:

http://www.suncebeat.com/

Croatia.

I must first get the prefix "War-torn" out of my mind. And images of football stadia being used as mass graves.

Real Croatz please feel free to bleks I with the trueness.