Soul Strut 100: #93 - Black Moon - Enta Da Stage

2»

Comments

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Love this album

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    gomez80 said:
    It's a good album, and the production does carry the MC's for sure. Do you guys feel that this album should have been higher on the list or not on the list at all?

Again: don't sweat the placement. It's not like we had 10000 votes coming in. Even a couple of votes probably could have moved any single album up 10 notches or what not.

I'm not sweating the placement, the voting process was done before I got here, it's cool.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    I've never been able to get into this album.
    Bought it the day it dropped and can't remember ever playing it end to end since then.
    I know I've needle dropped a few times over the years but it's never grabbed me.
    Time for a revisit.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Best use of Donald Byrd "Wind Parade"?

that sample is what led me to places and spaces.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    While I have mixed feelings about this album, Black Moon is responsible for one of the most unintentionally hilarious video moments of all time.

Watch some guy in the background slip and wipe out at 0:08:

• Rode hard for Black Moon (still do) but in all honesty I can't say I played the entire album start to finish on more than a couple of occasions. The pressing was mad quiet which didn't help the cause, although I did play the shit out of all the 12's that came off it. Black Smith n Wesson was the album track that I gave the most play to.

• JusMeJusMe 68 Posts
    Scott said:
    While I have mixed feelings about this album, Black Moon is responsible for one of the most unintentionally hilarious video moments of all time.

Watch some guy in the background slip and wipe out at 0:08:

thats hilarious! never noticed before. kinda cool they left it in there.

co sign on the quiet pressing too. did this ever get a double lp re ish?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yes, why is the vinyl version so quiet? And why isn't Slave on there?

Great album though, the soundtrack to many smoked-out, late nights back in the day.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i like dru has verse

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    That guy slipping on the icy concrete in the "I Got Cha Open" video just made my day. "Buck 'Em Down" is, I think, one of the first raps I have ever heard.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Electrode said:
    That guy slipping on the icy concrete in the "I Got Cha Open" video just made my day. "Buck 'Em Down" is, I think, one of the first raps I have ever heard.

u sound white

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    RAJ said:

yes. and.
    BEST USE of Ronnie Laws Tidal Wave too!

b/w

i fucking love this album and i cry when i hear it now like a total weirdo because it drips with personal nostalgia. now i get it when people my parents age used to bump the fuck out of a big chill soundtrack and sob.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    Incredible album. Start to finish. Better than the Smif n Wesson debut for me.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    RAJ said:

yes. and.
    BEST USE of Ronnie Laws Tidal Wave too!

b/w

i fucking love this album and i cry when i hear it now like a total weirdo because it drips with personal nostalgia. now i get it when people my parents age used to bump the fuck out of a big chill soundtrack and sob.

Aw.
    But yet, someone superimpose Who Got Da Props over this video plaese.

• In my private mind garden, the remix to "I Gotcha Opin" quietly shits all over this entire album.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Super muddy album. Ita almost like its majority low end, muddy low end.

I recall them saying that the samples are all off cassettes, which is kinda crazy. One of those records I respect more than I like.

• 1 of my 4 favorites that got played at the 3rd layer skate-park on the regular. And just because...
    Photobucket

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Great LP, and one I could still pull out and listen to all the way through, now there's not many Hip Hop LP's from the mid 90's that I could do that with!

Shame their follow up LP was a bit lame..

• The remixes did it for me, not to say the album wasn't hot!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    batmon said:
    Overrated w/ mediocre mcs.

"Props" is an absolute classique but mostly this. I think Buckshot was OK, but I never found anything else as good as "Props" on this set.

• good album, aggressively bad title.

"There's nowhere to run, there's nowhere to hide, 'cause the 5 Foot Accelerator is at your every side"...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    tripledouble said:
    phongone said:
    tripledouble said:
    enta da stage vs. da shinin might be the hiphop version of off the wall vs thriller

That's a tough one for sure.

im with the other folks. black moons record didnt age to well for me. buckshot just couldnt carry the whole record.
    tek and steele on the other hand... shining is much better

Production-wise, "Dah Shinin" gets the edge. IF - and this is a big IF - the Black Moon album had used/included the remixed beats to some of their singles, I think it'd put them on closer par with one another.

BTW: Black Moon performed "Enta" at Rock the Bells last summer and let's just say that while this album probably sounds awesome in some settings ("the whip"), it does not work outdoors. At all.

^^ it's the rare 90's-NY-hip-hop-classique-performed-in-2013-by-washed-up-old-dude that sounds good at an an outdoor show.

or indoor show.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    "There's nowhere to run, there's nowhere to hide, 'cause the 5 Foot Accelerator is at your every side"...

best beat on the lp, and that's a great line by 5ft.

i need to listen to the remix lp to reset the levels before i go back to enta...

Spacecho said:

Can't even begin to express how big an album this was in the weedhouse I shared with a couple of friends.

I manicured more bud to this (and Enter the Wu Tang) than I can even fathom nowadays.

And while I too liked/like Da Shinin'...not even remotely close to Enta da Stage IMO.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Spacecho said:

Can't even begin to express how big an album this was in the weedhouse I shared with a couple of friends.

I manicured more bud to this (and Enter the Wu Tang) than I can even fathom nowadays.

And while I too liked/like Da Shinin'...not even remotely close to Enta da Stage IMO.

sound bwoy is the only song that competes with the singles on Enta.

• In my mind:

Smif n Wessun > OGC = Heltah Skeltah > Black Moon

There are probably strong arguments for OGC being decidedly the worst of those albums, but for me that one and smif n wessun are deeply tied to some pretty special times.

• Now to adopt the status-quo as it seems lately I shall be terse with a one-word reply as is vogue now with the youth sub-culture on the "Soul Strut"- FAIL

Dishonorable