Prince went all WWF Honky Tonk Man on The ROOTS guitar

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
Dick move Prince!
Prince absolutely killed it on ???Jimmy Fallon??? Friday night, playing his new tune ???Screwdriver??? and the classic ???Bambi.???

After Unleashing a blistering solo on Bambi he did a guitar virtuoso???s version of dropping the mic before walking off stage, throwing his guitar up into the air and letting it crash to the ground. Just one problem: the axe wasn???t his. The Gear Page points out the guitar was a gorgeous 1961 Epiphone Crestwood that belongs to Captian Kirk Douglas of Fallon???s house band The Roots. Apparently when Prince arrived for rehearsal he admired the guitar and asked to borrow it for the performance. Douglas agreed, and then Prince wrecked it at the end of ???Bambi.??? Douglas tweeted out this picture with the caption ???Purple Pain???:

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Speaking of WWF, Paul Bearer died tonight.

• No shit. I used to love him way back in WCCW in the texas territories as Percy Pringle.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Prince can do whatever he wants.

Dude should be honored that His Royal Badness wrecked his guitar.

I'm sure he's getting a replacement.

• Don't encourage him. Would you let him borrow your red corvette?

Prince needs to change that 'doo, though.

:hated_it:

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Where's Charlie Murphy when you need him?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    That's a beautiful old Epiphone and I know Kirk really loved it.

I mean Prince is cool and all, but this was kind of stupid.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Herm said:
    Speaking of WWF, Paul Bearer died tonight.

That dude was mad silly/creepy with his whole managing-The-Undertaker schtick. That voice he did was crazy.

Speaking of WWF, Honkytonk Man was on RAW this week. His gut sticks out about 24" from his waist.

downtownrobbrown said:
    Don't encourage him. Would you let him borrow your red corvette?

He'd have to sign a release.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Worth the repair costs

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Looks like it would cost more to repair his fingernails.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Worth the repair costs

yeah, it's like that story when Larry Holmes was Muhammad Ali's sparring partner back in the early 70's and Ali blackened his eye... the trainer tried to put some ice on it, but Holmes stopped him saying, "I can't wait to go home and show all my friends and say 'Ali did this!'"

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Loan a guitar to a guy who's know to act crazy and then act surprised when he acts crazy. Much better story to tell this way. If Prince hadn't thrown it no one would even know it was a borrowed guitar.

If it was some broke kid and it was his only guitar that's one thing. But I'm sure the captain has plenty of guitars and if he's that mad he can afford to sue.

It's rock and roll, shit happens. You can only image what would happen if he let his girl around Prince.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    If you look at the footage it looks like he was trying to toss the guitar to someone offstage and didn't take into account that he didn't have enough cable to reach. I doubt he was actually trying to damage the guy's 50 year old Gibson. Sucks for Kirk though.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Would love to hear what transpired between the two guys after the incident. Did Prince disappear? Did they talk about it?

I still say that dude had the best Super Bowl Halftime performance in the history of that bullshit event....when he got to the screaming part of Purple Rain (after bodying the guitar solo) it started fucking raining...

The heat starts at 9m44s

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    RAJ said:
    Worth the repair costs

yeah, it's like that story when Larry Holmes was Muhammad Ali's sparring partner back in the early 70's and Ali blackened his eye... the trainer tried to put some ice on it, but Holmes stopped him saying, "I can't wait to go home and show all my friends and say 'Ali did this!'"

I see your point, but Rob Swift broke my boy's fader doing a body trick years back and, though he was sponsered by Vestax at the time, he never replaced it. Botton line: if you're fucking with someone's property; treat it as your own.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    JATX said:
    p_gunn said:
    RAJ said:
    Worth the repair costs

I see your point, but Rob Swift broke my boy's fader doing a body trick years back and, though he was sponsered by Vestax at the time, he never replaced it. Botton line: if you're fucking with someone's property; treat it as your own.

Wow. Who does body tricks on a borrowed mixer? Every time I see someone doing body tricks (especially the X-Men style) I think to myself "that is wreaking havoc on that mixer right now".

Did he even apologize or pretend that he would take care of it?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Those ruffians from People Under the Stairs forgot one of my White Label cartridges at the Middle East in Cambridge once. They were really nice and apologetic though, and offered to get me a new one.

That story would have been a lot cooler if Big Mike had thrown my turntable through a wall, though, and then just walked away.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    Speaking of WWF, Honkytonk Man was on RAW this week. His gut sticks out about 24" from his waist.

yeah dude probably can't shake rattle and roll like he used to

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    what a prick

knewjak said:
    what a prick

You diss Honkytonk Man, you diss yourself.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    JectWon said:
    JATX said:
    p_gunn said:
    RAJ said:
    Worth the repair costs

Wow. Who does body tricks on a borrowed mixer? Every time I see someone doing body tricks (especially the X-Men style) I think to myself "that is wreaking havoc on that mixer right now".

Did he even apologize or pretend that he would take care of it?

He told him my bad and everyone had a chuckle, including my boy, who is a good dude. But when he went to find him after the show, he was nowhere to be found.

• I'd be pretty pissed off if I was Douglas.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    FWIW, this is a 3-4K guitar. Kirk doesn't actually own that many guitars, he just has a few that he really loves.

Personally I wouldn't care if it was Prince or some anonymous bozo who broke my guitar, I would only care that they pay for it. Kirk plays with famous people every week, I really doubt he's all googly eyed and honored that it was Prince that fucked it up.

• even if he pays for it, i still say thats a really obnoxious and entitled thing for him to do. then again, he does call himself "prince" so maybe he figures he's not bound by the ordinary rules of courtesy and respect that typically go hand-in-hand with borrowing something of personal value from another.

also, i never got musicans who feel the need to senselessly destroy instruments for audience approval, what a waste. i mean give it to some poor kid or something. i guess it was a statment when hendrix, keith emerson and tonwshend did like the first time or whatever but its been a dumb rock cliche for decades now.

crabmongerfunk said:
    even if he pays for it, i still say thats a really obnoxious and entitled thing for him to do. then again, he does call himself "prince" so maybe he figures he's not bound by the ordinary rules of courtesy and respect that typically go hand-in-hand with borrowing something of personal value from another.

Ummm, he doesn't "call himself" Prince, It's the name his parents gave him.

The hate is strong with you.

crabmongerfunk said:
    even if he pays for it, i still say thats a really obnoxious and entitled thing for him to do. then again, he does call himself "prince" so maybe he figures he's not bound by the ordinary rules of courtesy and respect that typically go hand-in-hand with borrowing something of personal value from another.

Ummm, he doesn't "call himself" Prince, It's the name his parents gave him.

The hate is strong with you.

Purple Double.