J-Dilla's record collection, from storage locker, now being sold by a store. Catnip?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
http://pitchfork.com/news/46313-j-dillas-record-collection-for-sale-at-royal-oak-record-store/

"The Detroit News reports (via the Daily Swarm) that Royal Oak record store UHF has between 7,000-8,000 records that they believe belonged to Dilla. The collection is on sale at the store now. According to the Detroit News, UHF's Jeff Bubeck got the collection from an abandoned storage unit in Clinton Township.

Bubeck intends to share some of the proceeds with the J Dilla Foundation, but his attempts to contact the foundation and Dilla's mother, Maureen Yancey, have been unsuccessful so far."

That last line just seems "off" to me. Unless Ma Dukes is notorious for being hard to reach?

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    http://pitchfork.com/news/46313-j-dillas-record-collection-for-sale-at-royal-oak-record-store/

"The Detroit News reports (via the Daily Swarm) that Royal Oak record store UHF has between 7,000-8,000 records that they believe belonged to Dilla. The collection is on sale at the store now. According to the Detroit News, UHF's Jeff Bubeck got the collection from an abandoned storage unit in Clinton Township.

Bubeck intends to share some of the proceeds with the J Dilla Foundation, but his attempts to contact the foundation and Dilla's mother, Maureen Yancey, have been unsuccessful so far."

That last line just seems "off" to me. Unless Ma Dukes is notorious for being hard to reach?

Yeah, that seems shady. Maureen Yancey is on facebook. UHF could just send her a message.

Or all they would have to do is talk to House Shoes and I'm sure he could get a hold of her.

I am also surprised that Dilla's younger brother Illa J did not end up with the collection.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    "Included in the collection were "mountains of 94-cent Earth, Wind & Fire LPs," but also lyric booklets, junk mail addressed to James Yancey, and cassette tapes labeled "Jaydee Beats." Abandoned storage unit and junk mail don't make me think these were Dilla's most prized records.

• Every dead artist owned records for the most. Unless it had rare slum vilage stuff, or some one of a kind dilla pressings, file this under who cares.

• calkutacalkuta 160 Posts
    for what it's worth, i know someone who did a Dilla Tribute night and wanted to give all the proceeds to Ma Dukes...he tried to contact her for a few months before the event and she never got back to him so he ended up donating the proceeds to the Lupus foundation...

• HOLLAFAME said:

you have to be shitting me. am i reading this correctly: 30 dollars (plus shipping) gets you some random record and some janky certificate signed by his mom? how the hell do 123 sentient human beings (so far) fall for an obvious scam like this?

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Seems legit.. Wouldn't we have heard about it if it was a scam? I don't really feel the need to own any of Dilla's fingerprints but more power to those that do.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    cai said:
    Seems legit.. Wouldn't we have heard about it if it was a scam? I don't really feel the need to own any of Dilla's fingerprints but more power to those that do.

It's not a scam in the sense that it's not like they're promising you something and failing to deliver it. It's more of a rip-off: Dollar-bin chud being sold for $30 because Jay Dee owned it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I wouldn't mind owning his copy of Mountain Live, or the 10cc, Dionne Warwick, and/or Singers Unlimited joints. Otherwise, I don't think I'd want his promo copy of Gangsta Boo's Move Bitch 12".

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Yeah, i'd love to know what records people are getting. I might check the stonesthrow.com messageboard, ha!

• one customer:

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    http://www.basementaddicts.blogspot.com/2013/02/j-dilla-collection-sale.html

That's what I got. #550 Bobby Hutcherson "Ambos Mundos."

• I got a Mystic Moods Record. Pretty common but I didn't have it. I bought it with real low expectations and just hoping the money went to a good cause.

In hind sight, glad I did it. But I understand the cynicism some people have with it.

• sorry if my post before was harsh..."scam" was definitley the wrong word. it just strikes me as an obviously bad, exploitative, mercianry deal. i guess i don't understand what would motivate a person, even a hardcore fan, to pay $30 plus shipping for mystic moods, a $1 record, just becasue it was once possibly handled by the man. although they mention his foundation in the ad it doesn't indicate anywhere that this is part of any charitable venture. since yesterday when this was brought up 27 more of these have sold, thats over $800.00 for what i am guessing is a grand total of $40-$60 in real world dollars worth of records... what am i missing here?

• dilla mystique/worship

• crabmongerfunk said:
    sorry if my post before was harsh..."scam" was definitley the wrong word. it just strikes me as an obviously bad, exploitative, mercianry deal. i guess i don't understand what would motivate a person, even a hardcore fan, to pay $30 plus shipping for mystic moods, a $1 record, just becasue it was once possibly handled by the man. although they mention his foundation in the ad it doesn't indicate anywhere that this is part of any charitable venture. since yesterday when this was brought up 27 more of these have sold, thats over $800.00 for what i am guessing is a grand total of $40-$60 in real world dollars worth of records... what am i missing here?

I considered it a donation with a complimentary gift. I really doubt Dilla even put his hands on these records. They were probably bought in bulk and he kept them in storage.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    this is the record nerd version of buying used panties from a chick

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    this is the record nerd version of buying used panties from a chick

haha!

yeah, this is pretty corny move. The store in question (UHF - Royal Oak, MI) makes a killing off of the Record Store Day and the 'just bought a Crowsley player' crowd. This shit doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    sorry if my post before was harsh..."scam" was definitley the wrong word. it just strikes me as an obviously bad, exploitative, mercianry deal. i guess i don't understand what would motivate a person, even a hardcore fan, to pay $30 plus shipping for mystic moods, a $1 record, just becasue it was once possibly handled by the man. although they mention his foundation in the ad it doesn't indicate anywhere that this is part of any charitable venture. since yesterday when this was brought up 27 more of these have sold, thats over $800.00 for what i am guessing is a grand total of $40-$60 in real world dollars worth of records... what am i missing here?

I'm pretty sure your over reacting. Chances are Ma got stuck with a lot of bills medical and otherwise helping her son. You can't hold it against her for trying to get some money back. It's not like the ebay thing is claiming you'll get a copy of Stark Reality. In fact it states that a lot of the records (I.E. the good valuable ones) are being held back for some sort of museum piece.

I'm sure a lot of the people just want to own a record Dilla might have touched. Just like you, that doesn't impress me but to a lot of people it's a big deal. When a band tosses out merch at a concert people practically fist fight over it and it's usually just a crappy poster or a CD you already have. No explaining why people are so weird. No one is forcing any one to buy these records and I don't think anything is being miss represented. As stated it's really a donation with a little gift.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

A sense of humanity.

Lighten up, Francis.

• I paid $20 for Willie Mitchell's copy of Archie Bell &The; Drells "Tighten Up" LP.

• HarveyCanal said:

A sense of humanity.

Lighten up, Francis.

i am worse than hitler. who is francis?

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    hitler appeared???how efficient,it only took 2 pages to indulge godwin's law ??????.dicks????????????.. thread over
    but not just yet
    this is nice
    https://bleep.com/release/42105-j-dilla-donuts-45-box-set?utm_source=Bleep&utm_campaign=5986b7fee1-BTG_Tip_Off2_22_2013&utm_medium=email

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    HarveyCanal said:

A sense of humanity.

Lighten up, Francis.

i am worse than hitler. who is francis?

skoolin u

• Lol! Great clip. Great reference... Touch??