UTOPIA [TV-R]

Comments

• Herm said:
    This show is blowing my mindgrapes but jesus that school scene was hard to watch. Lots of difficult scenes, but that one in particular, 'cause...well...you know.

round of applause to channel 4 for having the kiwis to air that in the middle of an otherwise gun shy *ahem* media climate.

• I'm guessing the Assistant is Mr Rabbit? Thoughts?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I dunno about Mr Rabbbit... Could be Wilson... On the Soze tip.

• Just finished episode 4. I'm all caught up, right?? What day of the week does it air??

Episode 5 has aired, final one next week.

• J i m s t e r said:
    Episode 5 has aired, final one next week.

I'm on it. Thanks!

Black Mirror airs Mondays, right?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    First episode of the second series of Black Mirror wasn't all that (would've been a good Valentine's Day thing maybe), but the trajectory of the last series was steady improvement, so I'll continue watching.

RE: Mr Rabbitt. Wilson would be a good call, but I can't see how he'd have let himself get chilli'd etc, and not sure he'd be old enough?
    The Assistant (James Fox) seems to be getting a bit darker as things progress, now ordering the politician about.

Wilson has the knowledge of cuff-escapism from somewhere. Maybe he was sooo secret, chilli man didn't know.

I wondered about Jessica Hyde.

J Hyde

Jeckyll & Hyde / Two people.

But it makes no sense that she'd be MR. Rabbit, as every effer seems to know it's a bloke.

Unless he had the op or some mad pillz, to make t3h ultimate under-cover.

Hyde-fetishists better reach for dey tissues as there would be tear and tear if that played out.

• J i m s t e r said:
    Wilson has the knowledge of cuff-escapism from somewhere.

Didn't he go into detail about how he's studied everything he needed to do to survive kidnap, torture etc etc in the first episode?

bennyboy said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    Wilson has the knowledge of cuff-escapism from somewhere.

Didn't he go into detail about how he's studied everything he needed to do to survive kidnap, torture etc etc in the first episode?

Yeah, there is that, plus he's completely off the grid and doesn't exist.

Mmmmmmmmmm.

EDIT: but what about his dad?

• J i m s t e r said:

Grant read Mr Rabbit's real name in the manuscript though, it's a good thought but surely Grant would definitely remember if it had been Wilson

• Don't think he's Mr Rabbit. Just explains how he would have known how to get out of cuffs. And why would we have seen him investigating geezer who was thrown off the building?

Also, C4 are currently selling Utopia Series 1 DVD's. So more to come, YOU GET ME?

• Risingson said:
    J i m s t e r said:

Grant read Mr Rabbit's real name in the manuscript though, it's a good thought but surely Grant would definitely remember if it had been Wilson

and said it began with L

Ricky Forcefield said:
    Risingson said:
    J i m s t e r said:

and said it began with L

I must have missed that, Ricky. I'll get me coat.

One other thing that made me smile during the first episode was when they all met up in the pub - have done this, and it's always amusing meeting internet people in real life and putting a face to a name. Thought that the only thing missing was they seem to all use their real names though (Wilson excepted). Every forum I've ever used there's more joke names than real names.

• *slow clap*

Thank you, fine sirs for putting me up on this show. An excellent way to spend 6 hours!

b/w

"What about Wilson??"

• Well fuck me, the last episode was pure class! Nearly fell off my armchair towards the end.......what a series

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Glad y'all enjoyed it too.

Best thing for the last few years.

Couple of questions...

1) What was in the "Anitdote" if The Network had never got the proper sequence for the Janus molecule?
    2) Did WW send the email, or not? (the one blowing the lid off the whole thing)

• J i m s t e r said:

2) Did WW send the email, or not? (the one blowing the lid off the whole thing)

I thought I remember him saying he didn't. He was pretty onboard with the thing once it was explained to him.

J i m s t e r said:
    I wondered about Jessica Hyde.

J Hyde

Jeckyll & Hyde / Two people.

She turned out to be the Janus faces, then. Shame she ultimately failed now that Mrs Rabbit has her DNA captive.

Could Mrs Rabbit be her mum? Her mum was never mentioned. That would make her Jessica Rabbit. And Arby, Peter Rabbit.

I would be surprised if the second series can top this, so I'd prefer it to end at this.

• One of my questions is, could Janus only be made from the molecule diagram when the manuscript is laid out, or only from the code written across the face on one of the pages, that Grant copied?

I thought there were two variations of the Janus thing. One was a 'tester' that the Network was calling Russian flu and they had a vaccine for, and the second was the real deal that it turns out was hidden in Jessica. Not sure which was which now though, got a bit confusing with all the guns going off :lol:
    Good final episode, would've settled with Jessica throwing herself off the side of the building, but I guess there are still a few things to tidy up:

Becky's disease

Grant is still assumed to be a mass-murderer

Wilson was left for dead but will probably survive, and I bet Arby is going to make a reappearance, maybe rescuing Jessica in the next series? Quite liked the Russian prostitute's sudden transformation into Network agent, and Milner was a good twist. Hope the next series doesn't become too reliant on guns... plot twists and intrigue were the best part of this series.

• I was just wondering if you needed the entire manuscript laid out to make Janus, from the molecular diagram, or you could just recreate it from the coded face, in which case you only needed that one page.

• i cant read this thraed until wifey gets back from work trip so's we can catch up.

it's KILLIN' MEH

bennyboy said:

Also, C4 are currently selling Utopia Series 1 DVD's. So more to come, YOU GET ME?

• Duderonomy said:
    bennyboy said:

this makes me very happy. last utopia-R news I heard was that they were pushing back season 2 in order for an American reboot to catch up.

can't wait. and a good enough reason to re-binge from the beginning.

Truly one of the most disturbing shows I've ever seen.

And better for it.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Excellent. Looks like pretty much everyone is back, as well.