Cody Chesnutt these days...

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited February 2013 in Strut Central
I bought tickets to catch Cody Chesnutt a while ago. My thinking was I liked a few tracks from The Headphone Masterpiece, "that Roots song", and I like his voice and I haven't gone to a concert in a while. A couple of days prior to the concert it dawned on me that he must have some new material or something or why else would he be touring. So I found out he had a new album in 2012 called "Landing on a Hundred" and I gave it a listen. I thought it was really good, a lot more tight, "soulful" than THM, and had a polished sound. Then I read about him "finding his way" and thought as long as he doesn't try to sell me a bible it's all good.

So yesterday I attended the gig and I gotta say it wasn't what I expected...it was way better. I guess I was expecting a sort of indie show based on his earlier material, but it was all about his new album. He had amazing stage presence and his voice really carries live. The band was really tight (I just wish they had someone doing the horns, which were simulated by the keyboardist.). I've gone to many concerts and usually I'm just happy with a decent effort and good acoustics. But his energy was incredible, you could tell he was happy to be there and he was constantly interacting with the crowd. He did not do a single track from THM. He did an encore and he explained in a down to earth way that he was thankful for those that came based on his earlier material but that wasn't where his head-space was, and it wouldn't make sense for a 44 year old with 2 kids singing about his early trysts. I could see how that could piss people off but I was satisfied with that explanation.

Basically my feeling is, I wouldn't recommend a hardcore Cody Chesnutt fan to check him out, but if you want to see an energetic set dude is incredible live. It was a good gamble on a show. Just thought I'd give props to someone who was really happy to perform and you could feel it (small venue made it even better). Here's a track from his latest,

Oh yeah, a dude by the name of Kwesi Immanuel opened up for him, a lot more mellower vibe, but stellar voice.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Thank you for posting this song before, I like it.
    Where's the upside down faces mayne? I liked that shit.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Thank you for posting this song before, I like it.
    Where's the upside down faces mayne? I liked that shit.

Haha respect for remembering that stuff. I would have pursued that kind of thing but too many copyright issues! Those were the days with yao ming zangief strut emoticons. I was looking at an older archived thread the other day and I just smacked my head when I realized that "raw" emoticon was raw as in "raw like sushi". for the longest time, visually i thought it was undercooked chicken in a pot (look at it again, you might see it). That's the price of my useless talent!

• Saw him perform in Amsterdam about 6 months back and I was really impressed. Very soulful. Did he wear an army helmet the whole time when you saw him as well?

The only thing he did not want to do was sing "the seed", as that was from a different time in his life.

Nice guy.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    OptimusLime said:
    Saw him perform in Amsterdam about 6 months back and I was really impressed. Very soulful. Did he wear an army helmet the whole time when you saw him as well?

The only thing he did not want to do was sing "the seed", as that was from a different time in his life.

Nice guy.

Ya, must have been melting in that thing!