Feb 2013 Finds

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited February 2013 in Strut Central
Went to my local fair today and picked up the following:

Tina Britt - Blue All the Way - Spare copy of the funky soul LP. Sadly this copy does not come with the added sticke that my copy I found in Rotterdam had on the front cover!

Dusko Goykovich - Swinging Macedonia - Long time euro want that I can finally cross off of the list! Beautiful jazz!

Thought it was time I upped my Sun Ra game.

What other Ra releases do you guys consider as essential. Nothing too out there please!!

As well as these I have Angels and Demons, Space is the Place, Nubians.

What else do I need?

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I like Lanquidity a lot. Wouldn't mind some recommendations either, my knowledge is pretty limited when it comes to Sun Ra.

• coquicoqui 42 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    I like Lanquidity a lot.

Yes, Lanquidity is a good one. Sun Ra on a jazz funk tip. Select bits of chanting here and there, mystical vibes throughout. "There Are Other Worlds (They Have Not Told You Of)" is probably the farthest-out the record gets into deep space. Plus you can play that one in public out and people won't think you're crazy! Twin Stars Of Thence" is a MONSTER tune.

Here are a couple not dissimilar from Lanquidity, from the same era (late 70s) that I recommend:

Sun Ra - Sleeping Beauty

Mellow vibes throughout, jazz bliss in evidence. Nothing abrasive to be found here, all soft edges and slow-motion. Pure awe and beauty. Check "Sleeping Beauty" the track, por ejemplo.

Sun Ra - Strange Celestial Road

llmod1, you mentioned that you already had Space Is The Place... this record is like it's moody cousin, less all out, more strung out, but the spooky chanting still in evidence. And a lot of the jazz funk sound carried over from Lanquidity. The track "Say" would make the point I'm trying to here.

One more track I'd like to bring attention to, maybe his first in this vein, is "Moon Dance". It's a skull-snapping track that splits the difference between swing and funk, with a wraithlike organ slithering throughout. It's from this record:

Sun Ra And His Myth Science Arkestra ?????? Cosmic Tones For Mental Therapy

Of which, I must warn you, the rest of it gets pretty out there. Echo chambers and furiously played congas in full effect! You might want to give it a shot anyway, since it might be the most distinct snapshot of that certain side of Sun Ra's whole trip. I really dig a lot of the out there stuff he does (this record and Atlantis are favorites of mine), but this one track in particular is a super-accessible track (at sea in an experimental lp) that everyone should get to hear.

There's many of his early records that qualify as well, but as this post has already gone on way to long, I'll just mention these two:

Sun Song and The Futuristic Sounds Of Sun Ra

Both of which are Ra at his most traditional, and in truly fine form.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Stopped by some flea shops and managed to grip these for 30 total.

Upper left:

Jackie Mittoo- in London. White label in white sleeve. Could this be a promo? It's an old pressing (dirt on labels etc.)?

Rueben Wilson - blue mode. In shrink, blue/white stereo.

Baden Powell - a vontade. Beautiful Brazil pressing, great record.

Michel Sardaby - gail. Welcome new warmth is a jazz funk bomb, the rest of the album is easy jazz. Very enjoyable lp.

Jack McDuff- the fourth dimension. Two killer tracks, this lp is quite a mixbag of styles, vocals on several tracks.

Charlie Parker - Bird symbols. French mono press. Great tracks from two 1947 sessions. Has Nights in Arabia, as sampled by Gangstarr if i'm not mistaking.

• coquicoqui 42 Posts
    leon said:

How is this one? That sleeve looks like it must have been done by Mati Klarwein, right?

• leon said:

Jackie Mittoo- in London. White label in white sleeve. Could this be a promo? It's an old pressing (dirt on labels etc.)?
    No. That's the way it should be, you're just missing the cover. Most records from that time had white labels, I think the UK press had a blue one.

Did Coxsone/Studio One ever release promo records anyway? I don't think I've ever seen any.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    leon said:

Michel Sardaby - gail. Welcome new warmth is a jazz funk bomb, the rest of the album is easy jazz. Very enjoyable lp.

Great score.
    Used to be an easy bill on its own

• leonleon 883 Posts
    No. That's the way it should be, you're just missing the cover. Most records from that time had white labels, I think the UK press had a blue label.

Allright that makes sense, thanks!

coqui said:
    leon said:

How is this one? That sleeve looks like it must have been done by Mati Klarwein, right?

Yes it is by Mati Klarwein. The record is pretty much jazz funk all the way through. It sounds a little dated to my ears but it's good.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    bee gees album came in a fleamarket stack, more accidental than on purpose, a little bit better than other early stuff ive heard with these dudes

on the beatles tip...

• leonleon 883 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

Some insane finds there! Still need those two Don Cherry albums...

• llmod1 said:
    What other Ra releases do you guys consider as essential. Nothing too out there please!!

Congrats on the Other Side of the Sun! Such a rediculous Ra w/ the best version of Space Is the Place.

Here's a few that I love:

The Sun Ra Arkestra meets Salah Ragab in Egypts
    We Travel the Spaceways ( With Tapestry for an Asteroid)
    Dark Myth Equation Visitation
    Discipline 27-II
    Sun Ra Quartet: New Steps on Horo (with rome at twilight)
    Sleeping Beauty (essential Ra)
    Nuclear War (ditto)
    Sun Ra : Pictures of Infinity (for the track Spontaneous Simplicity)
    Cosmos
    and as mentioned Lanquidity....what a record

Angels and Demons and Nubians are two of my favourites, which you've got

At Crab: how is that Knirsch LP? Good MPS fusion? And if that Prague Big Band is a dupe..........

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

That Harold Vick is amazingly underrated
    How's that Knirsch? Wolfgang Dauner related right?

• yes, harold vick is killer:

knirsch is wolfgang dauner and etcetera...features larry coyrell. fantastic date:

the siggi busch record is even iller and features dauner:

loopdreams: prague big band is not a dupe but i know a dude with etra copies. hit me up on the pm:

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

C.I.A. is pre-N.W.A. (I'm sure most of you knew that already though)

This was a club staple in Houston back in the day.

• Some of my finds from a recent trip to Puerto Rico:

Harlow is a gold label mono.

45s

and finally a few 12"s

Oh, and this came in the mail:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Damn BTO, where you been digging you found all that?
    Not Portland.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Daaaannng, Bob the Orange KILLING THE GAME

• leonleon 883 Posts
    NerdAlert said:
    Daaaannng, Bob the Orange KILLING THE GAME

• Thanks!
    LaserWolf said:
    Damn BTO, where you been digging you found all that?
    Not Portland.
    I found those on my recent trip to Puerto Rico! I also stocked up on some salsa commons(well, common in places like NYC) for my table at crossroads.

• Found this today in Mississppi's discount section:

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Bob is runnin thangs this month! Congrats, that's a pretty killer stash of Latin heat.

• Can't touch the Orange on the latin heat but I did cross a couple of long time wants off the latin jazz list this month.

• Some heat up in this thread. Seriously motivating me to get out and look for some records!
    Here's a few records I've brought home lately...

Rezillos - Can't Stand The Rezillos (Sire, 1978) --- Promo Stamp
    Latyrx - The Album (Solesides, 1997) 2Lp
    Glass Prism - Poe Through The Glass Prism (RCA, 1969)
    Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other (Charisma, 1970)
    Little Beaver - Party Down (Cat, 1974)
    Jazzy Jeff - Mix So I Can Go Crazy / Rock It (Jive, 1985) 12-inch single

• my apologies, theres a lot of photos here. accumulation since about Thanksgiving, just haven't processed pix till now. includes a big pile of cool old persian/middle eastern 45s in sleeves, picked up for a song. the tiger lily stuff incl jackson sisters is all OG. the christmas, estes bros, first chips, arcadium are 80s import represses.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    :face_melt:

• Nice Karlophone: I was worried you'd taken up collecting orchids. I need that Javelina Pig Squeal 45.

• Nice finds karlophone! Is that Churchills an OG??

• bobtheorange said:
    Nice finds karlophone! Is that Churchills an OG??

thanks! well, its an Israeli press but i cant tell the date. it feels 70s.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    karlophone said:
    bobtheorange said:

Killin' it as usual.......until recently I wondered what the deal was with those animal call records but last month I finally saw a "Field Record Player" that worked by being cranked up so you could play those records out in the wild while you were hunting. The player was about the size of a 50 count 45 box and had a long strap so you could carry it over your shoulder.

• Rockadelic said:
    karlophone said:
    bobtheorange said:

Killin' it as usual.......until recently I wondered what the deal was with those animal call records but last month I finally saw a "Field Record Player" that worked by being cranked up so you could play those records out in the wild while you were hunting. The player was about the size of a 50 count 45 box and had a long strap so you could carry it over your shoulder.

wow that defeats any soundburger or big bird portable!