Mr. Scarface

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited February 2013 in Strut Central
Not a fan of the Complex format, but the content here is golden...

http://www.complex.com/music/2013/01/scarface-breaks-down-his-25-most-essential-songs/

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Thanks for this!

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    > everything else

also: did i miss the "Money and the Power" page?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    I remember going to Face's party at Max's 2000 with him and his crew when he was given the Def Jam South role. His manager came up to me one night while I was djing and invited me to the event and said that Face wanted to talk to me about being his tour dj (which I thought was strange b/c I knew that Domo dj'd for him). Anyway, after getting off of his tour bus in the parking lot, we (meaning his crew accompanying me and my girl) MOBBED the club. Like - straight past doormen, cash registers, long lines - all of that. Nobody said shit and there was like 40 of us. Anyway, went straight to VIP - saw everyone that was on the DefJam roster at the time and more (Juvie, Method Man, Redman, Jay-Z, etc) perform. It was great - being in Houston and all. Later, I told Big Chief, his mgr, that I probably couldn't be his dj and a few months later I moved to NY. Fast fwd about 6 months and I get a call from Chief. He tells me that he has the opportunity of a lifetime for me. I could throw a concert in NY with Face headlining. All I had to do was send him 25k in advance. TOTAL STEAL!!! I don't know why I passed up that opportunity of a lifetime.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Guaranteed that Face will show up on time to his concert. And he promises not to stop rapping in favor of playing guitar. C'mon, homie, it's just $25k. You know it's worth it.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Guaranteed that Face will show up on time to his concert. And he promises not to stop rapping in favor of playing guitar. C'mon, homie, it's just $25k. You know it's worth it.

i know, man. every day that I live is another day that I regret passing it up. I could be famous and retired right now

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i knew willie d and big mike wrote for bushwick, but not nip. makes so much sense.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    would have loved to hear scarface on a early public enemy song.

• what a great read

appreciated

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    This one was great--Scarface actually had interesting things to say about his music. I love that he gave props to his English teachers--some of them by name!--for teaching him how to write a proper story.

• Thanks!! He seemed honest about everything. I would've like to have seen Face on acid or shrooms.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Thanks for posting this. I think my appreciation of just how great Scarface is grows year on year.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    jdeez said:
    > everything else

also: did i miss the "Money and the Power" page?

I don't think I've ever heard this 12". Anyone have a rip of both sides?

No rips, but...

A-side:

B-side (Screwed and chopped):

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Thanks for this.

I remember years ago when Face was on MTV Cribs, and he was living in a nice but not at all fancy apartment smack in the middle of the hood. Amongst his music collection was an absolute shit-ton of Floyd - box-sets, the lot. When I read about the shrooms and the acid, it all fell into place.

Vaguely-related: I once got into a Twitter convo with him about Floyd (cue massive fanboy buzz), and he reckons Roger Waters is one of the greatest lyricists of all time.

Rush, the inhalant in a jar and not the band, was HUGE in Houston when I moved there in '86.

And around the same time, ecstacy was also HUGE in Houston before any of my friends in California had ever even heard of it.

Add to that the fact that magic mushrooms grew freely in cow pastures all around Houston.

HELL TO THA YAW!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Thanks!

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    And around the same time, ecstacy was also HUGE in Houston before any of my friends in California had ever even heard of it.

also, free and legal. candy bowls.

jdeez said:
    HarveyCanal said:

also, free and legal. candy bowls.

Yep, I actually missed that by a couple of years. First tab I ever took was in the Fall of '88. But older siblings of friends would tell me how at clubs there would be a bowl of pills sitting on the bar, free for the taking like peanuts!!!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

The Starck Club in Dallas was supposedly ground zero for ecstasy as a recreational drug in the mid-80s, so it makes sense that it'd find its way onto the menu in other Texan cities quicker than it might in Cali.