What Have You Overcome in Your Life?

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Hey Ya'll,

Some of the stuff I said in that "Favorite Frozen Foods" thread got me to thinking. Damn, I've come a long way from the way I used to live. More generally, let's speak about overcoming lean times, psychological barriers, etc. I guess I'll start off.

Back in the early-mid 70's, our family was just getting started. Times were lean since dad had a low rank in the military then, hadn't quite made the come-up, and mom was stayin' home with me and my older brother. I was living in a trailer park in Aberdeen, Maryland, wearing cut-buddy sneakers. I went back to Aberdeen in summer 2003, with my folks and wifey, and was shocked how nowhere it was. It shows that with love and childhood innocence, you don't realize how fucked up your environment was. Over the years, pops got rank, mom started working, moved to Laurel, MD (fuckin' Roach Motel and rat-filled apartment complex that was later condemned by the Health Department as "Unfit for Human Habitation"; thanks Uncle Sam!!!), then Silver Spring, MD (nice military townhouses), living in better and better places. The last two stops were Greensboro, NC (where I found out I was a niggga), and then Fayetteville, NC. In Fayette-nam, we moved into our own house in 1981, and times were better.

Something that I overcame was insecurity. I was "weird" and beyond my years intellectually as a child. Because of that, I didn't fit in socially, and had a hard time with my peers. They made me feel less of myself, picked on me, and I had to kick nuff ass as a kid. I was very shy and wouldn't talk to the girlies that I liked. It took years to finally accept myself as I am (damn near 'til adulthood). Where all of this totally changed around. I became self-confident, assertive, and got my game tight with the cuties.

Sorry about the length of this, folks. I am thankful that I have indeed come a long way.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the responses this thread gets will be pure hilarity

ya'll dont know my struggle

• What have I overcome?

Cocaine, heroin, the death of my mother by homocide (drug related)[/b], homelessness, street drama. These are the big things worth mentioning.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    What have I overcome?

Cocaine, heroin, the death of my mother by homocide (drug related)[/b], homelessness, street drama. These are the big things worth mentioning.

That's great man. You have quite a story to tell, bro!!! Sorry to hear about your moms!!!! Street drama, that's another thread, but I was just trippin' on how lean our beginnings were. Fam made some moves, and I never really thought about it like that until tonight.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    More generally, let's speak about overcoming lean times, psychological barriers, etc.

A bulleted list, cause I doubt folls could handle the whole weight.

• MY MEMORIES BRING ME MISERY...[/b]
    • Molestation
    • Beatings
    • Being locked up
    • Suicide attempts (3)
    • Homelessness
    • Constant and neverending self-hatred
    • My dad telling me, "I don't have a son" just before he skipped out
    • Nine years of intense, daily, psychological study

Then I turned 18.

(I found it's pretty easy if you get the big stuff out of the way first.)

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    More generally, let's speak about overcoming lean times, psychological barriers, etc.

A bulleted list, cause I doubt folls could handle the whole weight.

• MY MEMORIES BRING ME MISERY...[/b]
    • Molestation
    • Beatings
    • Being locked up
    • Suicide attempts (3)
    • Homelessness
    • Constant and neverending self-hatred
    • My dad telling me, "I don't have a son" just before he skipped out
    • Nine years of intense, daily, psychological study

Then I turned 18.

(I found it's pretty easy if you get the big stuff out of the way first.)

Damn, Man!!!! You're inspirational, for real!!!! That's a lot of weight to carry, but you overcame and that is great!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

Glad you all are here with us.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yo, sorry for my initial post in this thread. it wasn't meant towards the people who have actually struggled (everyone who posted in this thread so far) but anyone who felt some little shit problem was a struggle. sorry, im being an asshole today.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    does suburbia count?

Couple family secrets I'd rather not share, but on the whole, I've had a pretty comfortbale life. A friend of mine recently overcame cancer, and I've lived my entire life with Neurofibromatosis, but I've never been without food and I've always had a roof over my head. My sister, on the other hand, went through some shit!!! Now she's a multi millionaire...but she's still not entirely happy. Maybe giving me more money for records would make her happy?

Reynaldo, is your mom happy?

jokes and jokes and jokes and jokes...

• hodgkin's lymphoma

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    A lot of y'all had some serious shit happen to you. Best believe you people are some of the strongest folks in the world. use your past experiences to psh you to where y'all want to be at in the future.

As for me:
    -Born premature
    -Welfare child
    -Evictions
    -Handicapped parents (not to mention we were cut off from their families)
    -Forced to be a caretaker for my parents early on
    -Forced to be a parental figure for my little brother early on.

All these events & actions have made me stronger, and continue to do so daily. I used to hate having to serve as a interpreter for my parents and all thier deaf freinds, it was no fun going to banks and fingerspelling out words talking about loans at 7, but you know it set me up to deal with the world in a way that I appreciate far more now that I'm in my 20's

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    wow, props to you guys for your overcomings, much respect indeed.

i didn't have it as bad/significant as u guys, but racism throughout my life really phucked with my head. and i just got over it in elementary school when i got a crazy dose of it again in highschool, and just wished i was over with,had no one to relate to and just buried that stuff inside me, killed my esteem on all fronts(lol i can even relate to that thread about people of color acting nerdy as to not draw attention to themselves), though music kept me through. numbed myself for a few years, and now its time to do something constructive. trying to absorb as much as i can in this life and be productive with what i have, and always be a student. i haven't overcome, but i'd like to think i'm overcoming,
    peace and keep on keeping on.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    2 kids
    2 different girls
    by the time I was 22

but I'm all about my kids. I'm probably in the 98% percentile of dads who spend time with their kids. I'm straight up Mr. Mom every single day... volunteer at the school, change diapers, make the macaroni and cheese, do the ABCs, 123s, addition, reading, all that.

I'm the stereotype breaker!

• i have lived through many of the forementioned trials in my life. i can honestly say the only way you overcome such things is to develope a strong sense of humor. peace, stein. . .

• i have lived through many of the forementioned trials in my life. i can honestly say the only way you overcome such things is to develope a strong sense of humor. peace, stein. . .

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    This thread is heartbreaking. But my favorite people in world have come up through some hard times.

My biggest regret that I have to overcome:

I came up in public schools in SC. I came out of high school borderline illiterate*. Luckily, USC took almost any SC state resident who applied. I had never written a paper or read a book. I got a 1.7 GPA my first two semesters and changed my major three times. My roommate taught me how to write and suggested I read ???Invisible Man.??? That chnaged me.

My low GPA from this time has made it next to impossible for me to enter the highly competitive academic world.

Rejection is one thing???

*still am

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    The things mentioned in this thread must have exerted some serious weight.

Respect to y'all for possessing the strength to overcome or make peace with.

Peace. Lp.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

Glad you all are here with us.

its funny how you think your life is one thing, but you need to recognize there is always someone worse off...major props to all the hommies who are overcoming the past and doing big things in the future.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    i have lived through many of the forementioned trials in my life. i can honestly say the only way you overcome such things is to develope a strong sense of humor. peace, stein. . .

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    TI got a 1.7 GPA my first two semesters and changed my major three times. My roommate taught me how to write and suggested I read ???Invisible Man.??? That chnaged me.

I graduated HS with a 1.4 ... batch!

:P

Congrats on movin on up. I've done the same. My GPA just isn't that good.