Anyone know how to MC a wedding?

astronautagogoastronautagogo 16 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I took a couple "relaxed" situation weddings last year....then outta nowhere, 'friends of friends' of the brides and grooms are callin me up left and right wanting me to do their weddings too. I've accepted a few, cause the money is nice...however, I can tell a few of the brides-to-be are total bridezillas, and want the full on MC formalities etc...Like for example, how do you conduct a wedding party intros etc? What's the proper way to say this stuff? I'm really nervous about it! Any advice would be really appreciated.Thanks y'all.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    have them write everything

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

And go over the pronunciation of all the names.

• You MC it like this:

"I need to run, I need to hide
    I just got caught, boning the bride"

• Crate Digging Revealed

Sale Classified

Wants Trades

Anouncements

Wedding DJ Etiquette

sayin'...

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Ok, ok I'll admit - I do this on the side, just started doing more of these cuz fuck it this shit pays mad money even tho I'm playing and saying some wack shit most the time. But ya definitely talk it over with the bride and groom, get them to tell you what they want (everything), it makes them feel like you're accepting to their ideas when really you're just having them lay it all out for you. Other than that, I'd just say to play it on the conservative side, since its a wedding people automatically associate a certain level of formality to it (even tho some are just like a damn club!) but just keep it short and simple and you'll be fine.

Hope this helps and let the laughter begin!

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    well...if your grand master caz, you yell at the crowd about how you wrote "rapper's delight" and never got credit and then tell'em about how they're all too young to know the "real deal".

boing!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I just had to talk about the wedding my wife & I went to last weekend.

The DJs showed up in t-shirts and baggy jeans and played what looked like home stereo rackmount CD players. They'd play songs halfway through, stop them, have silence for about ten seconds then play something else, and repeat. There was absolutely no mixing. They also had a wireless mic whose contact crackle was way louder than the actual volume of whomever was speaking.

But what killed me was that they played DROPS for their DJ service in the middle of songs!!! People were eating dinner and alla sudden they'd hear a radio-styled "THIS IS A SO-AND-SO PRODUCTION, PRODUCTION, PRODUCTION" drop. When the dancing started (which lasted for only about 5 songs), the uncle of the bride tried to dance but every time a drop dropped, would look back in astonishment, Rufus Thomas-style. Hilarious.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    just say "Ladies and Gentlemen" as often as possible. trust me, it works. "Ladies and Gentlemen, the bride and groom!" "Ladies and Gentlemen, your attention please for the first dance!" "Ladies and Gentlemen, please join us as we cut the cake." If they care about what you're supposed to say, they will write it down, or have a wedding planner or coordinator who will tell you what to do and when. But everyone has been to so many weddings that they pretty much know what to do on their own, with very little prodding.

The bride will be talking to everyone and won't really be paying attention, and everyone will be so relieved it is over (and drunk) that as long as you play decent music and don't cuss anyone out, everyone will be happy and you'll get a tip. Mixing at a wedding blows the parents' minds, and not having a loud jackass in a tuxedo playing the Macarena is all the young people want.

• Thanks, thats super advice, good lookin' out....Ladies & Gentlemen.