Organising your digital music

arXarX 12 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central
How do strutters deal with their digital library, what formats, what software, preferred media players etc.?

Comments

• arX said:
    How do strutters deal with their digital library, what formats, what software, preferred media players etc.?

I prefer mp3s and have recently set myself the rule of no longer dealing with anything less than 320kbps where possible. I still use WinAmp which I've been laughed at for many times, but ti's lightweight and does the job!

For editing the tags I use a program called ID3-TagIT which is a very handy, freeware batch editor (http://www.id3-tagit.de/) so it can all be done very quickly.

I avoid iTunes at all costs and only have it installed because I have an iPod (which I only bought because it had the larger capacity I needed). It's unnecessarily clunky and invasive and really pisses me off.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    I hate iTunes too. You can download iTools here [http://itools.hk/cms/webpage30.htm], it makes life much easier. None of this "Have to delete your library to get anything off this ipod" palaver.

I've been using Media Monkey for ages. I tag up my .mp3s as "Artist - Title" and have the artwork there. MediaMonkey makes it easy to do all this in the fewest strokes possible. Automatically gets the album art where possible.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    is this iTools business just for moving files or is it a player as well? I've always been too lazy to look for anything beyond itunes. I like that it can organize the files automatically by artist and album, although compilations and collaborations makes it clunkier than it should be. And I like that I can browse a playlist by artist/album as well, which means I can make general playlists by genre/country/whatever and dump stuff into those categories, which simplifies browsing the files. At this point I have more than 15K files, so I'm never sure if it's worth the trouble to move onto to another program...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I'm another one who's come to an uneasy peace with iTunes, for all its shortcomings. I've tried Media Monkey a couple of times, but I've never felt sufficiently comfortable with it that I've felt I could finally abandon iTunes altogether. I've something in the region of 15k files as well, so switching to another program might be the kind of ball-ache I could do without.

While we're talking digital music solutions, what's the program of choice for getting music off an iPod? I had an issue with an ageing external hard-drive the other day, and I've now discovered that almost everything from G to S in my music library has disappeared. It's all still on my iPod; I just need to get it off there so I can back it up on a new drive. Any suggestions?

• I use http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
    its pretty bad ass and you can use discogs as a tag source.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    ppadilha, Itools is just for moving files (i think), media monkey is what Jims recommends as a mediaplayer / organiser.

I use Itunes, it doesn't really bother me. But I only use it for managing my Ipod/Ipad apps, files, podcasts and the small library of music I keep on my laptop h/d. The majority of my mp3s, that I've accumulated over the years (about 40k files), are on my external harddrive and are organised in genre folders. It can get a little messy but there's no way I'm going to spend the time necessary to go through all of it, just for the sake of being anal.
    For a general mediaplayer, for all media; mp3, mkv, avi, acc, whatever, I have VLC set up to open them all. It handles most anything without the need for codec packs, whilst being light and powerful, so it's pretty indispensable. It does have plenty of other functions, but I really only use it as a player.

• Dafaq???

Go organize your trash can. Srsly, what a waste of time.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Funny to see someone else still using winamp too. I find it perfectly easy and requires no learning curve or integration. I'm on the original skin and everything.

Plus one on the iTunes frustration.

• I hate iTunes too. You can download iTools here [http://itools.hk/cms/webpage30.htm], it makes life much easier. None of this "Have to delete your library to get anything off this ipod" palaver.

I've been using Media Monkey for ages. I tag up my .mp3s as "Artist - Title" and have the artwork there. MediaMonkey makes it easy to do all this in the fewest strokes possible. Automatically gets the album art where possible.

Bondsman, did you just say Palaver?
    I ken you speak the high speak, what before the beams became weak and man remembered the face of his father?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Palaver is a favourite, or it's deputy, "Shenanigans". Use them with restraint or self-control, like Laura Branigan.