RIP Orioles Manager Earl Weaver

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central
Takes me back to my trading card days.

Really though I just wanted to post this classic ump fight:

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Robb,

I grew up in Aberdeen, MD just 28 miles south of Baltimore during the legendary Weaver/Palmer era. I used to love watching and rooting for those guys. He was a great manager and his teams used to play hard. Mr. Weaver was a feisty little guy, and he fiercely fought the umps on behalf of his team. He had a brilliant baseball mind, and his presence in baseball will be sorely missed. Rest in peace, Mr. Weaver.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    :(

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

Grew up with the Senators (while they lasted) but married into a Baltimore family.
    This is a sad day.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    I remember him from those baseball blooper reel tapes I used to watch when I was a kid. There was a segment where "Why Can't We Be Friends?" is playing while he just loses it with some ump, even kicking and throwing dirt at him IIRC.

• one of the best to ever do it

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    R.I.P. I've lived most of my life in or near Baltimore, and was lucky enough to attend his retirement game way back when. Oversaw the era when the Orioles were the winningest and wildest team in baseball... sadly, it's been mostly downhill since.

BTW, the "Manager's Corner" video posted above was made by a good friend of mine. Nice to see it getting some play here.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Saturday while going through the Dollar Bins I came across an Orioles Picture Disc....one side had a picture of the old Baltimore Stadium and the flip had a close-up of Earl.....Eral had big gouges on his side of the disc so I left it only to go home and read that he passed....crazy.

RIP to one of the most entertaining managers this side of Casey Stengel!

• RIP Earl the Churl. I remember him from the 1979 series against my beloved Pirates. I also had a dub of a dub of a dub of the infamous "Manager's Corner" outtake on cassette in the early 90s. It still cracks me up.

• earl weaver. man who coached the importance of tough pitching, strong defense and the 3-run homer.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    RIP.

I recall dude gettin' media attention BITD in Baltimore when the Pirates were rockin We Are Family.