Old Man Tech Question...Vinyl Recording?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central
My CD burner died last year.

What do i do to digitize my shit, without coppin another burner.

My Receiver is pretty good. Denon shit. I dont own a mixer.

Can I USB connect to my receiver and transfer with a program.

Shortie asked for some Sylvers and my old neighbor wants to dub his Doo Wop rekkids.

Keep it on the simple tip pleez.

Shortie wants a CD but has a computer. The old man wants a CD.

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Try using one of these. Just use your computer burner as you would have used your stand alone burner.
    Attached files

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    thanx

what program thats not too complex should i use to transfer?

batmon said:
    thanx

what program thats not too complex should i use to transfer?

Audacity....I am old as well.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    those cd burners sound way better than any usb bs. look for an old one on craigslist

Delay said:
    those cd burners sound way better than any usb bs. look for an old one on craigslist

Try to find another stand alone deck ASAP.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    Delay said:

I agree. Batmon, buy one of those Pioneer PDR series decks. They're ideal for just burning CDs and cheap, too.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Electrode said:
    stratasphere said:
    Delay said:

I agree. Batmon, buy one of those Pioneer PDR series decks. They're ideal for just burning CDs and cheap, too.

Totally - when my ancient Pioneer died a year a go and I tried a few recommended direct-to-PC options before giving in and buying another PDR (used). Much better sound and much less hassle. The 509 or 609 are the ones I'd go for...I've also had Phllips and TEAC burners and even the oldest Pioneer models are better.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    Why bother using USB? If your receiver has a phono input, connect your receiver directly to your PC's audio card line in jack using an RCA-to-1/8" cable. Then record the audio using Audacity and convert the .wav to .mp3.

billbradley said:
    Why bother using USB? If your receiver has a phono input, connect your receiver directly to your PC's audio card line in jack using an RCA-to-1/8" cable. Then record the audio using Audacity and convert the .wav to .mp3.

My PC lost its screen brightness, and just copped an Air.

Will "audio card line in jack using an RCA-to-1/8" cable" still an option?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    billbradley said:
    Why bother using USB? If your receiver has a phono input, connect your receiver directly to your PC's audio card line in jack using an RCA-to-1/8" cable.

It may not matter in this situation, but the USB input will sound a lot better than the 1/8".

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    billbradley said:
    Why bother using USB? If your receiver has a phono input, connect your receiver directly to your PC's audio card line in jack using an RCA-to-1/8" cable.

It may not matter in this situation, but the USB input will sound a lot better than the 1/8".

You can't really say this with any certainty. I'm not sure if the macbook air even has an 1/8" in, but if it does, we can assume it's halfway decent. USB can accept anything, from the shittiest USB turntable in the world (horrible sound quality) to, say, a top of the line Apogee converter (way WAY better than any 1/8" input, but expensive). I don't see how you can say USB is better; it's just a type of connection.

Anyway Batmon, if you're looking for a good balance of simplicity, sound quality and price, and you already have a turntable/receiver combo, I agree that finding a 2nd hand stand alone deck is probably a good bet, although you'll end up having to buy a bunch of blank CDs too.

If you think you'll be doing transfers pretty regularly, get the best USB audio interface you can afford, and go the audacity route. It will be a lot more flexible for things like adding track numbers too, although you're going to have a hard time burning CDs for people with the Air.

I bought this new in 2000 and it is still going strong.
    Attached files

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Unherd said:
    Horseleech said:
    billbradley said:

You can't really say this with any certainty. I'm not sure if the macbook air even has an 1/8" in, but if it does, we can assume it's halfway decent. USB can accept anything, from the shittiest USB turntable in the world (horrible sound quality) to, say, a top of the line Apogee converter (way WAY better than any 1/8" input, but expensive). I don't see how you can say USB is better; it's just a type of connection.

Anyway Batmon, if you're looking for a good balance of simplicity, sound quality and price, and you already have a turntable/receiver combo, I agree that finding a 2nd hand stand alone deck is probably a good bet, although you'll end up having to buy a bunch of blank CDs too.

If you think you'll be doing transfers pretty regularly, get the best USB audio interface you can afford, and go the audacity route. It will be a lot more flexible for things like adding track numbers too, although you're going to have a hard time burning CDs for people with the Air.

the only D/A that can even come close to the ouboard burner is a $500+ apogee duet, but there is only 1 cd burner that records 24bit. i believe it's made by tascam.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Unherd said:
    Horseleech said:
    billbradley said:

You can't really say this with any certainty.

All other things being equal, a USB (especially 2 or 3) can handle a lot more info at a higher speed than an 1/8" can. Also, if I'm not mistaken, 1/8" does not accommodate a balanced stereo cable, so there's more noise potential.

I can't think of any professional application that uses 1/8" stereo jacks, and I can tell you for a fact that the cables and jacks themselves very often go bad.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    Try using one of these. Just use your computer burner as you would have used your stand alone burner.

would one of those + audacity work, just like that? i'd have thought that you'd need some sort of middle stage to convert the phono / line signal to USB-able info...

and yeah, 1/8" jack is the worst. i still use that, though.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Dante said:
    stratasphere said:

would one of those + audacity work, just like that? i'd have thought that you'd need some sort of middle stage to convert the phono / line signal to USB-able info... .

RCA cable from amp to Y-shaped female RCA-to-male 1/8" adapter to iMic