"Eric B is President" bass line question

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
I know the bass line is from "Over Like a Fat Rat" but is it a sample? Or an interpolation by a live bassist?

Also, I'd have to assume that Marley used an SP-12 here since the 1200 hadn't been produced yet, right?

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I always thought it was a synth bass - played by Elai Tubo, maybe?

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    According to Marley Marl on the documentary Deep Crates vol. 2, he played all the music. He said he made the bassline using a Casio cz 101.

• Marley made it sound way more funky. Thank god he played it. Not that I don't like Fat Rat but it has a definite disco sound to it which wouldn't have made the song as rugged. He also says my melody is supposed to be rising to the top which i don't think he nailed lol. But that's another one that came out for the better.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    According to Marley Marl on the documentary Deep Crates vol. 2, he played all the music. He said he made the bassline using a Casio cz 101.[/quote

Thanks - interesting to know.

What else is he playing on there besides bass however?

• tecatetecate 73 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    I know the bass line is from "Over Like a Fat Rat" but is it a sample? Or an interpolation by a live bassist?

Also, I'd have to assume that Marley used an SP-12 here since the 1200 hadn't been produced yet, right?

It was replayed on a keyboard, just like the bass line on 'Paid in Full' was a replay of the 'Don't Look Any Further'. In fact it was Rakim's brother who played it on a keyboard and played keys all over the Paid in Full album. He did music before Rakim and that's also him playing the keys on Jimmy Spicers 'Dolla Bill Y'all'.

• soupsoup 69 Posts

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    according to an interview i have here at hand, he didn't use an sp-12, either. he says he had a 808 to trigger the samples on a Korg SDD-2 and two other samples he does not mention. then he says he never got a 1200, he went straight to akai's S900 and MPC 60. hope that helps.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    tecate said:
    He did music before Rakim and that's also him playing the keys on Jimmy Spicers 'Dolla Bill Y'all'.

• Elai Tubo mentioned Rakim's cousin as well in an interview did with him:

http://othersounds.com/interview-elai-tubo/

• soupsoup 69 Posts
    Dante said:
    according to an interview i have here at hand, he didn't use an sp-12, either. he says he had a 808 to trigger the samples on a Korg SDD-2 and two other samples he does not mention. then he says he never got a 1200, he went straight to akai's S900 and MPC 60. hope that helps.

The early stuff was an 808 triggering a couple SDD-2000's which were early digital delays. In some interview Marley said he'd often use the same drum sounds for a week since it was such a bitch to sample and so beats made in the same week usually had the same drum sounds under them. He gave some examples but I can't really remember.

• soup said:

Marley talks "Casio CZ-101" @ 2:00.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Dante said:

Wow, that's interesting. Is this interview online? S900 came out in 86, so that would make sense. How did he sequence the casio?