RENT A RASTA

vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central

RENT A RASTA from cinepobre.com on Vimeo.

Watch this controversial Jamaica documentary co-produced by cinepobre.com / 4th edition
When white women flock to Jamaica for a little fun in the sun, the R&R they're often looking for is not "Rest and Relaxation" but to "Rent a Rasta" according to director J. Michael Seyfert. His eye-opening expose' of the same name sheds light on a barely acknowledged form of sex tourism, namely, white women who visit the Caribbean Islands to get their groove back with the help of black locals. This documentary claims that, each year, as many as 80,000 females from a variety of relatively-wealthy Western nations descend on Jamaica alone.

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I remember watching a doc about this several years ago. Not so much rent a rasta, but the relatively knew phenomenon of female sex tourism in JA. Young black guys hooking up with middle aged sloshers, who 'kept' them whilst on holiday.

It's not too surprising I guess. I remember an English / Jamaican friend of mine telling me how, when she lived out there with her grandparents, they warned her off boys by telling her they were only interested in her cause she was English, so they assumed she was rich.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The writing is terrible. Title is misleading as it is mostly about Rastafarian culture, history, etc....and there are better sources out there. Not to mention, foreign women are definitely not hooking up with dreads only.
    Some would say true Rasta would not be getting mixed up in this stuff with these women.
    This type of sexual tourism/business arrangement is available in cities all over Europe, the States and Canada. It seems weird to me that the lives of these women at home is described as if they are in Victorian times.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    When I went to Negril, there were an abundance of "Rastas" on the beach offering to take tourists up to their farms in the hills to stay for a few days. Culture, food, weed, and sex all seemed to be on sale quite openly.

Not sure the problem with this though.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    if you're interested in female sex tourism, you should check out the documentary "Pardies Liebe" by Ulrich Seidl.
    It is a very touching and sensitive movie about what going on in Kenia. I'm not sure if it's already available in english though.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    French women do this in Morocco every weekend. I guess the surprise is that it's women doing the paying, plus it has that taboo of interracial sex thrown in.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    finelikewine said:

It is a very touching and sensitive movie

So the women aren't referred too as too old, too fat or too ugly?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The British women in Negril made me never want to see a naked woman (not being my date) on a beach ever again. Moreso because they were such attention-mongers than they were ugly. That, and worldwide health insurance rates have to be going up for us all due to their bull-headed insistence on giving themselves skin cancer.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I saw this one on CBC a while back.
    http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/passionateeyeshowcase/2011/cowboysinparadise/

Cowboys in Paradise (sex tourism in Bali)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Not a new phenom.

• LaserWolf said:
    Not a new phenom.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Not a new phenom.

This has been common knowledge for decades, at least among people who spend time in the Caribbean.

• that documentary is horrible and is not even about the phenomenon being discussed here.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    bassie said:
    finelikewine said:

It is a very touching and sensitive movie

So the women aren't referred too as too old, too fat or too ugly?

No, not this way. The main female actors discuss these topics among each other throughout the film though - with different attitudes. Recommended movie!