David Bowie just released a new single.

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central

I woke up this morning to The Internet Going Nuts and I thought, "A new Bowie record? Wow, didn't expect that at all." Then I thought, "It's probably not going to be much cop, though, is it?" Then I heard it, and thought, "OK, well, this might be the best thing he's done in almost 30 years." Just a really lovely song, and all the Berlin footage in the vid is a particular delight for me. That's his old apartment building on Hauptstrasse at 0'52''. I can walk there from my place in about 15 minutes.

Discuss, should you be so inclined.

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    I think the video is horrible and the song is overproduced but it's vintage Bowie and there's nothing wrong with that. I can see it working in a stadium with Japanese upright drummers pounding it through and DB using the guitar sound he had with Tin Machine. That would work well for me.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Bland in the extreme. And what's with the macca hair dye thing? All in all, a bit grim.

Unlike the latest Madness single, which, whilst a bare faced rip of previous hooks and knowingly pastiche, has at least a cracking tune.

He's got a bland voice, S*e*e. You have to re-imagine the tune painted in different hues

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I like the way his voice has aged. A nice melancolic tune let down by an poor ending and yes, the video is fucking rubbish.

The hair-dye is probably to make him look less creepy next to his Mrs (Black-don't-crack-R). Same reason as Macca, except he was knobbing birds young enough to be his offspring. He's penned some gems and has a unique take on lyrics, but in a way I am glad he didn't do the Olympics because I think his time has well passed - I think, despite the affection of Boyle, it would've looked like a barrel-scrape move.

I understand he has heart problems which have prevented live appearances, but I've almost put him in the same mental box as Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I have love for heyday Bowie, and props for staying relevant for so long, but this latest is mawkish and banal.

Sorry.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I really like this. The song and the Berlin video footage gets me quite melancholic. I used to live in this part of Berlin for some time in the last 2 years and I will always have a soft spot in me for Mr. Bowie, he could even sing the telephone book for me, I would not care. Good to hear from him again.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    sticky_dojah said:
    I really like this. The song and the Berlin video footage gets me quite melancholic. I used to live in this part of Berlin for some time in the last 2 years and I will always have a soft spot in me for Mr. Bowie, he could even sing the telephone book for me, I would not care. Good to hear from him again.

This is kind of how I feel about it. Being a Berlin resident myself (and living in Sch??neberg), I love the footage too. I wondered for a moment whether or not it was contemporaneous or archive, until I clocked the tattoo parlour on the left-hand side of the entrance to Bowie's apartment building.

A friend on Facebook described the song as having the same "terrible historical self-awareness" displayed by the surviving Beatles when they did Free As A Bird. He also observed how, after never paying much attention to the public perception of him, it suddenly seems Bowie is happy to reflect it back. Valid points, but not really ones I agree with. I think it's reasonable for someone of his age, who's drifted into semi-retirement amidst rumours of serious debilitating illness and even impending death, to reflect upon the time and place of his greatest artistic triumphs. Even if you do think he's playing around with his own mythology, it's still not as self-indulgent or self-aggrandising as, say, the opening sequence to The Shootist or any number of Frank Sinatra songs.

It'd be the easiest thing in the world to wave this away with a comment about how he's not as interesting as he was in his 20s or 30s, and I have no doubt that loads of people will do just that. But personally, I'm curious to know whether Bowie's interesting as an artist in his 60s. Discovering that he hasn't lost his gift for an affecting melody will do to begin with. He may not have the same pressing need to perform as Leonard Cohen, for example, but the thought of him simply withdrawing from the world as his creativity slowly dissipated, with the long silence only broken by an announcement that, "following a long illness, David Bowie died in the early hours of blahblahblah", would have been very tough to take. Glad to have him back.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I like this - I hear of echoes of Absolute Beginners in there and even the one-man-and-his-synth backing works for me when it's coupled with his voice. But please don't make me watch that video again. The footage of Berlin I can take but the on-screen lyrics really detract from the delivery.

Flomotion said:
    I like this - I hear of echoes of Absolute Beginners in there and even the one-man-and-his-synth backing works for me when it's coupled with his voice. But please don't make me watch that video again. The footage of Berlin I can take but the on-screen lyrics really detract from the delivery.

The misspelling of Potsdamer Platz (no 'z' in Potsdamer) is forgivable, allowing it to make the screen isn't.

DocMcCoy said:
    Frank Sinatra

F*ck yeah, his ego was monumental. I was watching some clips of him duetting over the years and the f*cker often talks over the the other person's part while they are mid-flow. Great talent, no need for that. Or the horses heads.

DocMcCoy said:
    This is kind of how I feel about it. Being a Berlin resident myself (and living in Sch??neberg), I love the footage too. I wondered for a moment whether or not it was contemporaneous or archive, until I clocked the tattoo parlour on the left-hand side of the entrance to Bowie's apartment building.

There's a record store around the block run by this old man Mr. Jacksch aah...memories...

sticky_dojah said:
    DocMcCoy said:

There's a record store around the block run by this old man Mr. Jacksch aah...memories...

Do you mean the one just behind Crellestrasse near Kaiser-Wilhelm-Platz? I don't know of another in the vicinity, but there's a strange old guy who runs this particular spot - grey hair, a little bug-eyed. He immediately asks you what sort of records you're looking for as soon as you're in the door. He isn't especially unpleasant or anything, just a little over-bearing to the point that you don't really feel like hanging around the place for too long. I got the impression there could be a few gems amongst all the 80s maxi-singles and obligatory crates of schlager, but I wasn't sure if this was one of those places where the necessary evil of making lots of unnecessary small talk would provide enough of a payoff. I haven't been in there since last summer, and I've never really given it a serious look anyway. Maybe I should swing by again.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Frank Sinatra

F*ck yeah, his ego was monumental. I was watching some clips of him duetting over the years and the f*cker often talks over the the other person's part while they are mid-flow. Great talent, no need for that. Or the horses heads.

Not a fan of Frank on any level but love watching him and Marlon Brando opposite each other in Guys and Dolls. Brando can't sing for shit but clearly loves inflicting musical torture on Frank whose total and undisguised contempt makes it all worthwhile. Brando's opinion of Sinatra's acting was just as high, apparently.

DocMcCoy said:
    sticky_dojah said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Do you mean the one just behind Crellestrasse near Kaiser-Wilhelm-Platz? I don't know of another in the vicinity, but there's a strange old guy who runs this particular spot - grey hair, a little bug-eyed. He immediately asks you what sort of records you're looking for as soon as you're in the door. He isn't especially unpleasant or anything, just a little over-bearing to the point that you don't really feel like hanging around the place for too long. I got the impression there could be a few gems amongst all the 80s maxi-singles and obligatory crates of schlager, but I wasn't sure if this was one of those places where the necessary evil of making lots of unnecessary small talk would provide enough of a payoff. I haven't been in there since last summer, and I've never really given it a serious look anyway. Maybe I should swing by again.

The one close to the station "Julius Leber Br??cke"...I found some Gems there, but the smalltalk/heat ratio is a little off, you're right. This Bowie video reminds me of how much I miss Berlin. I might drop by this Saturday...

• it's not BAD..... but im not walking away wanting to hear it again.

good "twilight of career" material i suppose.