Attn: comic book geeks.

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

The first time i saw his work was In Justice League 200 back 1982.

Top 15 pencillers for me..if not 10.

Im not even ready to think about dissolving my collectron. I wonder if ill care at 75.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I can completely get with dude's desire to unbundle ahead of decrepitude and demise.

You reach a certain age, or go through certain life events, and without getting too zen up in this bith, you suddenly lose the connection with material things. Scales fall from your eyes and you see life's baggage for what it truly is: an anchor that ties you down, a probable burden on the loved ones you leave behind, a potential source of leaving some monetary value for them when the time comes.

One of the comments on that site, words to the effect of, how can you let them go? When they meant so much to you?

Well, it will come to most at some point, but it is in fact about the easiest thing in the world to do.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    One of my all time favourites too. Since first picking up JD back sometime in the 80s I think.

This is the second Brian Bolland news I saw in the last 1 hour. He's also doing a raer signing. Of Judge Dredd, The Complete Brian Bolland.

b/w became friends with Carlos Ezquerra on facebook the other day. heh.

There are enough collectros around that will benefit from letting these into the world.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    skel said:
    you suddenly lose the connection with material things.

Amen.

With me, it came from watching my dad fill the house with.... stuff as we grew up. To the point where he started stacking it in our rooms. I vowed when I left home, I wouldn't be the same. When I was a student, we got robbed and cleaned out a few times. So, I got used to not having to carry around bin bags full of tapes and shit. Easy come...

It's just stuff, as they say in Fight Club.

Even the records. :oof:

I've kept that promise to myself. My other brother, the comic artist, he's got all the Star Wars merchandise, but it's in order and only in his studio. His twin, the mod, has everything tied up in guitars, with empty cupboards.

My dad has filled the rooms we left with more antiques, books, VHS tapes, CDs, DVDs, Ukes, Treadmills... To the point where there is no room for us to stay over. We've asked him to sell it but he grew up in the war and likes having... stuff. Plus he was adopted, so there is that manifestation-of-self in material possessions thing going on, I'm sure.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    mattB said:
    Carlos Ezquerra
    Oh man, this dude. I've come to have a certain appreciation for how he keeps it funky, but I can't front, I spent a long time thinking his style was kinda bottom of the barrel ("why does everyone look furry?"). I used to lump him in with John Romita Jr. and the other dudes I felt were phoning it in.

Fucking BOLLA??D, though.
    batmon said:
    Top 15 pencillers for me..if not 10.
    Yeah, probably for me, too. He's kinda on some Beatles/Michael Jackson shit with me: Not my favorite style, never really my number one, I spent years thinking it was too clean or too twee or too technical or whatever, but I revisit some of that stuff today and think "cot-damn--there really is nothing here to improve on." The older I get, the more stuff I just fucking hate, so those little oases of grace do come to mean something. Not too long ago in some box in the basement I found a late-eighties comic magazine with a Bolland cover featuring a slizzard John Bull with a bottle in his fist, a bulge in his breeches, a Watchmen pin on his lapel, and one red-jacketed arm around a ramrod-straight and utterly disapproving Uncle Sam, and man, that shit still made me smile.

As I write this I'm listening to some Robert Palmer record. Why does that feel so right?

Carlos Ezquerra

Stainless Steel Rat / Strontium Dog / Ace Trucking for dayyyzz. He can really draw curvy birds too (although Serpieri is my personal DON for ooh-la-la-laa jigglers). I never liked his Dredd stuff, for me that had to be Bolland or Mike McMahon, but his warped-cone take on hardware and the little details he used to put into Ace's living scarf were all appreciated. You can see a Chris Foss influence in all of that.

My brother is still struggling to find time away from clients to finish this, but it will be good. I am trying to persuade him to let me write some

Bolland as good as he is id say the "problem" he might have is the figures seem to have a mannequin quality.
    it so good of a rendering, that theres a slight loss of "soul,sweat". or whatever u wanna call it. i cant put my finger on it.

batmon said:
    mannequin

YES. I think it's the detail in the teeth and eyelashes that render them more on the portrait end of the spectrum, rather than a caricature. But for certain storylines, it's perfect. Tears and stuff.

• I haven't bought a superhero comic since around 1982 (except for the amazing Batman: Year One), but Alex Ross has sure caught my eye. Going to see an exhibit of his work this weekend.

I remember BITD Judge Dread was for "real heads" or more sophisticated readers.

I dont think that was Bolland with the pencils. I recall it being kinda rough and loose.
    Bolland did the a later series?

I lost track of him. Outside of some DC covers it wasnt until The Killing Joke that I jumped back on his shit.

Is there a series I need to cop from him?

Two possibly pertinent footnotes for our main 'mon:

One, Bolland drew the cover for the Prince comic. As has been alluded to, though, it's mad sterile.

Two, I remember a 1980s Judge Dredd storyline (or maybe just a story) featuring "Jaxon Prince," a thinly veiled version of MJ. (Grimjack had some faux-MJ shit back in the eighties, too, but that's neither here nor there.)

IIRC Kevin O'Neil's Marshall Law was sort of a riff on Dredd.

batmon said:
    it wasnt until The Killing Joke that I jumped back on his shit.

Camelot 3000.

It's 82 IIRC. But has lesbianism and a baddie in a insy, weeny bikini. They were answers to questions no-one had asked back then.

batmon said:
    Definitely. Marshall Law was my shit, and was pretty fucking ill for the time, made more so by the flat, crisply delineated, and relatively moodless art. It was like Frank Miller with the shadows taken away. Intense.

Just heard today, ar kid's comic is being picked up by Titan for US launch in July.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2013/01/08/titan-comics-launches-creator-owned-imprint/1816849/

james said:
    batmon said:
    Definitely. Marshall Law was my shit, and was pretty fucking ill for the time, made more so by the flat, crisply delineated, and relatively moodless art. It was like Frank Miller with the shadows taken away. Intense.

I remember they had a "Batman" shackled in the window of his ship.
    I took this as a little stab at the Batman fandom/over-exposure at the time.

Another book of the same era that never really popped of was Void Indigo.

J i m s t e r said:
    batmon said:
    it wasnt until The Killing Joke that I jumped back on his shit.

Camelot 3000.

It's 82 IIRC. But has lesbianism and a baddie in a insy, weeny bikini. They were answers to questions no-one had asked back then.

I remember when 3000 came out and i just wasnt attracted to the mash-up. But i did hear it had decent writing.
    I have low tolerance for Sword and Sorcery, especially King Arthur and them.

Conan fine.....six packs all nite. Shining Knights and Elves and shit......One or two shots and im done.

batmon said:
    Elves and shit......One or two shots and im done.

Zero shots and I'm done. Srs doe, I can't be bothered with Tolkien, not going to ever see the Peter Jackson stuff which I am sure is well-done, but it's just too Sheldon Cooper for me. Furry feet and shit. Me and Bro above used to do that deep-voice VHS narrator dude all the time - "Imagine a world... of goblins and trolls... "

C3K is not about the big picture (you know what is going to happen at the end) but about the re-incarnations of the knights and how they have to work it all out. And like you said, the cold Manneqin styleways of Bolland really add an eerie touch to a lot of it.

It was like nothing I'd read, BITD. Proper grown-up problems.

Ill check for it.

I can email you the .cbrs if you strikeout.

J i m s t e r said:

U have a readable file? I can peep on my ipad?

• batmon said:
    J i m s t e r said:

U have a readable file? I can peep on my ipad?

yeah. .cbr files are 'comic book reader' files. the best app for the ipad is ComicZeal IMO. it's easily my favorite use for the thing.