Footage of well known dj's & producers & their collectrons (record pron related)

Comments

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Diamond D's is pretty boring. All due respect.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    diamond needs to take care of himself.

• NerdAlert said:

Agreed however it's a big improvement on the previous couple of episodes. Jermaine Dupri & some no-mark who used to DJ for 2 Live Crew.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    jmjmjmjm said:
    Jermaine Dupri

I didn't even know he had done one. What a fuckin' clown, talmbout "I like to use stuff nobody's ever used before," then citing "Gimme What You Got" and "Weak at the Knees" as examples.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    NerdAlert said:
    Agreed. I don't know why it's that short compared to all the others & they barely ask him anything interesting.

DJ_Enki said:
    jmjmjmjm said:
    Jermaine Dupri

I didn't even know he had done one. What a fuckin' clown, talmbout "I like to use stuff nobody's every used before," then citing "Gimme What You Got" and "Weak at the Knees" as examples.

Clown indeed. Not to mention the comparisons he dared to make between himself & Berry Gordy. & his 'collection' looks really lame.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Oh brother, Jermaine Dupri can kick rocks. Can't respect a man who keeps and treats his records like that.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    c'mon y'all, he's the GOAT of dancing for whodini and looping up obvious records.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,084 Posts
    I love it when people use "literally!" metaphorically. "I was literally blown away!"

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

The Jermaine Dupri episode was downright hilarious and awful at the same time. "Gimme What You Got" was never used? Hell, Marley Marl used it for Big Daddy Kane for "Word to the Mother" way before Jermaine Dupri ever touched it. "Weak at the Knees" was used by Ice Cube as I recall, so what in the hell was he talking about? Who in the hell associates crate diggin' and Jermaine Dupri? That segment was wackness personified. They could profile some cats like The Beatnuts, Large Professor, Buckwild, T-Ray, Latief, Minnesota, J-Swift (if he's off the crizack), Lord Finesse, Easy Mo Bee, Hi-Tek, and so many others.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    jmjmjmjm said:
    Jermaine Dupri
    "I like to use stuff nobody's ever used before," then citing "Gimme What You Got" and "Weak at the Knees" as examples.

To that goof's credit (JD, not JB), it's hard to tell the difference between the bass progressions on a lot of those late 70s - early 80s soul radio classics: "Keep Rising To The Top", "Don't Look Any Further", "All Night Long", etc.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    Electrode said:
    I love it when people use "literally!" metaphorically. "I was literally blown away!"

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

After mulling over the laughable Jermaine Dupri segment, I thought of how cool it would be if some of the Strut had some segments profiling the collections of its contributors. I saw one that Dee-Rock did some years ago, and dude was funny as hell. It would be quite interesting to see some of our other peeps talking about their records.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

After mulling over the laughable Jermaine Dupri segment, I thought of how cool it would be if some of the Strut had some segments profiling the collections of its contributors. I saw one that Dee-Rock did some years ago, and dude was funny as hell. It would be quite interesting to see some of our other peeps talking about their records.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

great idea..i mean we just need a format and have strutters film their collection presented in their own way
    it would make good promo for the site too..you could even have a video city guide with food/dig spots

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    "Jump" is "Funky Worm" and "Impeach the Presdident." I've always thought he was lame, and considered his style more of a copycat than anything else. Has dude ever used a sample that hasn't been touched already in a big way?

I hadn't heard "Jump" in years so I youtubed it to hear it before I posted this, and "Alright" popped up on the sidebar. I admit I've always liked that song.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    i'd like to add that I've been a big fan of Just Blaze's production for awhile. It's nice to see he still gets down and djs and has a passion for records. "Breathe" and "Line Em Up" are untouchable, in my opinion.

• Almost all the comments on dupri's YouTube episode are tearing him apart. I wonder if he knows. It'd be kid of funny if his bubbles was deflated even just a tad.

I like how he said he doesn't put the records back in their "cases."

• "Oh! Usher, 'Caught Up' [looking at the record] vinyl".

• "Oh! Usher, 'Caught Up' [looking at the record] vinyl".

He says something like "I didn't know they were still making vinyl at that point."

He also says something about "seeing blah blahs collection, that's what made we want to do this show." I wonder if he contacted them and asked to do an episode.

"yo, put me on. I have absolutely nothing interesting to say."

• They should do some episodes with diggers from foreign countries too (similar to what Dust 'N Grooves do).

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    After reading this post has to peep the Jermaine Dupri video. He really is little dude status, that was embarrassing for me to watch. Just Blaze seems like a cool cat. He pulled the Pookah record which is one of my favorites. Seems like Diamond adhered to the "know a lotta beats but I say no names" policy.

• motown67 said:
    Did you watch the Z-Trip video? He's got his collection organized by BPM. Obviously good for a working DJ, but how the hell would you find anything for casual listening?

uneasy listening

• minimini 879 Posts
    Lord Finesse. Good one.

• mini said:
    Lord Finesse. Good one.

i could listen to that dudes voice for hours!
    i was at wfmu once and i was looking thru bobby dreads overpriced but nice crates. a heavy set dude was digging right next to me ,but i didnt pay him any mind, let alone glance at his face. bobby pulls a record out and sayd, "you know about this? cause this is what you should be checking for?" The heavy digger says "hmmm, i dont know that" or some other combination of 3-4 words. it was like someone pulled out an id card. i wasnt even really listening to the two guys, but Finesse's voice belongs on a pedestal somewhere.

two weeks later, after a funeral of a friend, my buddy and i had a very drunk reminisce with another friend, who lived a block from the old TSL. i mentioned that it was still open for a couple more minutes and i was gonna go check the wall and new arrivals. we both head down, stumble drunk, still in suits, with rum and cokes in hand. jared rolls his eyes and laughs patiently at us while we carouse around the shop, at this point after closing. i didnt even notice when he opened the door for an afterhours customer who just so happened to be Lord Finesse. I recognized him this time but was in to much of a drunken bender to stop cracking jokes and even give the man his props. i couldve at least got a autograph. regardless, jared and finesse were both good sports about our lack of sobreity.

this had nothing to due with this crate digging episode (which i liked a lot) but i figured id share

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    dope! i finally got to watch it, i think this was one of the best ones...those slice-of-spice records aint no joke!

• GARTH MACDERMOT

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    i love how he described his collection as "ACCURATE" haha

The strategically placed Magnum is funny. It's like his collection is holding him hostage.

tripledouble said:

i could listen to that dudes voice for hours!

Plus he seems like a really nice, down to earth, dude.

I was hoping there'd be a few of these with non-hiphop related people but don't think that will happen so here's a good one with Zaf from Zafsmusic for the disco & boogie fans. Prepare for some serious record pron:

Deep Disco and Boogie from HolyRollertv on Vimeo.