This Record Store Doesn't Have Anything (Discuss)

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited December 2012 in Strut Central
Hey Strutters,

My brother Will and I were having a conversation about the above statement that our record collecting buddies make. Ultimately, we came to the conclusion that this statement doesn't really apply to us. Our collective sentiment was that our variety of tastes allows us to find records of value in any record store we visit. Really, it seems that every record store has a 'strong genre' or so that aligns with our tastes in some way. I liken it to playing b-ball (sort of) such that you take what a given store (or the defense regarding offensive approach) gives you in terms of its offerings. At minimum, sometimes I'll use a not-so-stellar store to replace bad copies of common goodies that I own. Any thoughts (sorry for the ramble)?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• Very interesting. I've definitely been guilty of saying this before, and often it's because I am not digging creatively enough.

Although, I often will use the phrase to describe a store that may "have something" but the pricing is outrageous (commons at $5-10). Which I guess isn't quite accurate, but describes my feelings toward a record store that can't be bothered to set prices properly. This is very common at NYC/DC/Philly stores in the trendier, formerly bohemian parts of town.

But yeah, as a rule most stores usually have something I would walk away with.

• As a shop owner myself (NYC formerly-bohemian part of town-related) I will just say that you can't please everyone.

Most stores worth their salt find plenty of ill records; chances are, you just didn't get them.

• i like when i go to a store that always has a heavy turn over of stock. this increases the chances of me finding something worthwhile, and hopefully they fit within my price range for the day. sometimes you have those stores that always seem to have the same shit, and still seem to manage to stay in business. these are the stores that i qualify as not having anything. been there.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    As a shop owner myself (NYC formerly-bohemian part of town-related) I will just say that you can't please everyone.

Most stores worth their salt find plenty of ill records; chances are, you just didn't get them.

Hey JP,

That's easy for you to say since Good is amazing!!! I just find that I come out of most stores with a pile of stuff that varies depending on the store's stock. This summer, I was in a store in Boston that would be considered 'not-good' in the soul/funk, breakbeat lover's sense, but it had a massive amount of soundtracks. So, that's the lane I played in there, then hit up the 'good' store over in the Commons (name escapes me) for the rest. It's fun trying to figure out what direction to take in a given store.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    As a shop owner myself (NYC formerly-bohemian part of town-related) I will just say that you can't please everyone.

Mr. Good, I've been in your store now on 4, or possibly 5, occasions I believe.
    You sir have a great store and I've always walked out with several gems while
    there. As a record lover/collector I think you've found a great niche and what
    better city to have that in other than NYC?

Stacks, patience and timing are the key I think. I was in a local haunt just before
    xmas and for the first time I decided to dig through the "collectible bin" which I
    had never done on any of my previous trips. While nothing earth shattering revealed
    itself I did unveil to my surprise a handful of solid pieces that were all NM and priced
    great. As a music lover a record store would have to be major weak sauce for myself
    not to find something..

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    It's all about the mood you're in.

Been in great stores and come out with nothing; shit ones with a stack.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I have been to some stores that only had a tiny selection of 80s pop and bad rock and Jazz records which I don't like. I don't bother going there anymore because they only sell the leftovers from collections they bought years ago.
    Some stores I have been to were just too expensive. Every decent Psych, Kraut (Can Tago Mago in vg+/vg+ for 300 Euros?!), Jazz or Soul record was priced higher than on ebay or even popsike. The other records were just not interesting to me. I'd feel like I would be wasting money buying there...

I guess if you buy just anything and look for upgrades on your common reords' condition, any record store can be heaven.

But I have been to terrible records stores. There's one in my hometown that now sells video games, DVDs and comic books rather than records. I have yet to see someone buy any record there or notice new entries or miss records that have been there for years. I don't think the owner will ever buy new collections. Half his store is full of records but there's really nothing good... I doubt you would buy anything there.

• I appreciate the compliments guys, but believe it or not, people do occasionally say that they can't find anything at my store, or express profound frustration that the $300 record they're looking for hasn't magically appeared from behind the counter.

What turns up at any given store waxes and wanes depending on a lot of factors (including the proprietor's willingness to get from behind the counter and go look) and especially nowadays it's just a lot more people fishing, even in the small towns and out of the way spots, there's more competition and the guys who are not tethered to a storefront often have more time to search for and capital to buy nice collections. I don't think it's easy anywhere to consistently turn up killer stock for more discerning collectors. Which is why many stores that seem to never get in anything new/interesting still manage to pay their rent; most record shoppers aren't all that discerning, and you'd be surprised what the average run of the mill record store sells on a regular basis.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Just out of interest JP, what is the ballpark % split between old stuff / new stuff that sold last year?

• I don't really sell any new stuff aside from the occasional LITA/Numero/etc product... my stock is 98% used.

I do get recent reissues in second-hand, and they tend to sell well.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Grope said:
    I guess if you buy just anything and look for upgrades on your common reords' condition, any record store can be heaven.

Hey Grope,

I'm unsure of how old you are, but seriously, condition becomes a huge deal with age. You have to bear in mind, I have LPs in my collection that I have owned since 1974!!! Suffice it to say, they have been played a million times, have traveled 10,000 miles or more (double-digit moves throughout my life), so they get some wear on them (especially the covers). So yes, from time to time, I'll buy a fresh(er) copy of that common record that I love, so the 'so-so' stores allow me to do that on the cheap-cheap. Certainly, I look for the whales in spots like JP's, but those :talib: stores, believe it or not, have their place.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Grope said:

Hey Grope,

I'm unsure of how old you are, but seriously, condition becomes a huge deal with age. You have to bear in mind, I have LPs in my collection that I have owned since 1974!!! Suffice it to say, they have been played a million times, have traveled 10,000 miles or more (double-digit moves throughout my life), so they get some wear on them (especially the covers). So yes, from time to time, I'll buy a fresh(er) copy of that common record that I love, so the 'so-so' stores allow me to do that on the cheap-cheap. Certainly, I look for the whales in spots like JP's, but those :talib: stores, believe it or not, have their place.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

i haven't been collecting for that long and i must admit i don't buy many records at the moment. i don't mind leaving stores empty-handed. i regret selling some of my US records. the ones i miss are really hard to find in europe. it's sad that even common us jazz and soul records got so expensive here. times have been better 10 - 15 years ago. i was a too chaotic buyer back then. i should have bought all the krautrock lps in the late 90s :( the prices have at least doubled! i remember not buying the first motherhood lp for 5 euros because it was only in a vg+ condition. oh well...
    i have never been to the US for record shopping. but i guess i would be able to rebuy most of the records i miss

i'm still glad there are so many stores in germany. most got boring but at least they are able to keep their business up. i just got to snobby. i buy expensive records if i really want them. i don't buy common cheap stuff and rather go for the records i think i won't find again in the next few years. common records will always be there? at least that's what i experienced and i still regret that i didn't buy the krautrock rares when i was getting started. that's has been a huge influence on me.

one thing i will never understand is that stores over here rate common US records so highly when you can get them for less than half the price on ebay. i was in london for one day last year and even in the high-end places like intoxica, the meters and oliver sain lps were much cheaper than in germany...

i get the idea about conditions. i'd like to upgrade some of my records!

• skel said:
    It's all about the mood you're in.

Been in great stores and come out with nothing; shit ones with a stack.
    Indeed, it depends on the value of records in stock to you at the time.I've been fortunate to get meh records from "spots" and get massive heat from places others have long since disregarded.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I hate stores that don't separate their reissues (when they have a ton of them) from their used vinyl. That makes me walk out empty-handed every time. #endofanear

• I try to never leave a record store empty-handed, even just to do my part to keep them afloat. You can always at least find some wedding jams.

• i'm never not in the mood to buy records, but certain places are just completely tapped out for me. they get no new stock, the owner could give a shit and the place is just dying a slow, painful death.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Good Topic Stacks,

Honestly, I think when most folks state that a record store doesn't have anything they are really saying "They don't have $100 records for five bucks". This may be because they never turn over their stock or because they price records correctly or even too high. For me any store that turns their stock frequently and will discount large purchases is a good store. As a record dealer I'm looking for records to make a profit on and that means I have to know more than the store owner. This used to be easy, but now in the Popsike era, not so much.

Since I do buy records to sell I'm not a big fan of the "specialty" store that deals in niche genres as they tend to be on top of their game. For collectors of those genres these stores are essential. I love the store that carries everything and anything. Doc's in Fort Worth is a GREAT store even though I don't buy much there. They have a great variety, high turnover and prices that are lower than market but too high for me to grip and flip. To me, that's the perfect combination.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I guess no record store owner solely in it for the bucks really wants to hear this - especially if the customer is annoying and jamming up the listening station - but if I leave having heard something I've never heard before and getting a little insight into an artist/record/genre I didn't know about before I walked in, then that record store has something. I don't need to buy something every time for the sake of buying something...especially at this point in my life where I am trying really hard to stick to a list and am not going to live long enough to hear everything already sitting around in piles on my floor.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I hear what you're saying Stacks, but my local shop Record Surplus has moved location and are totally catering to the hipster crowd which means much higher prices on regular stuff, completely sealed records, and reissues starting to take up 1/3 of the bins. I was happy for the employees who've worked there for a long time, but the place really was starting to feel like Amoeba Records...

• I'm an old time collector who doesn't have the time/energy to dig anymore. If a clerk points me towards 20k 45s I would more than likely flip through some and quit after 10-15 minutes. At this point, I'm mostly looking for rare joints and am willing to pay for them. I like it when a store has a separate box for the raer 45s. I admit I'm lazy now and I probably have missed out on some gems due to that laziness, but I've earned it after 25+ years of digging

• HarveyCanal said:
    I hate stores that don't separate their reissues (when they have a ton of them) from their used vinyl. That makes me walk out empty-handed every time.

totally agree, a local store started doing that several years ago and i rarely visit now.

• I always love it when somebody tells me "aww..that place is dug up, nothing in there" because it is usually untrue. When I moved back to Memphis, people told me to not worry about hitting up River Records because "Manship, Shadow, Egon, (insert famous digger name here), had been in there, nothing left". Of course it was a ridiculous claim that a few individuals know everything that is worth listening to and gripped it. Found stuff in there every time I went until when someone did literally clean it out, by buying the entire stock of 45s at once. Same thing with Record Exchange in St. Louis and its famed 45 room. I am always being told "nothing left"..but I always come out with a stack with things for my collection and things to sell for a nice profit. Sure, places might be "dry" for a few weeks, but any place that buys records is going to get some good stuff pretty consistently.

totally agree with playing to a store's strengths. I used to hit up this place in Bee Bee, Arkansas...owner was a typical Ozark foothills racist asshole. He hated R&B records, so he would put 'em in a box by the door and give them away for free (refused to sell them)...got the bulk of my James Brown production 45s (Marva, Ballard, etc) out of that box, "Up Above the Rock" 45, Big Maybelle sides (actually this is where my love of Big Maybelle began) all kinds of shit...but hit up the LP racks and 100% pure crap. However, he would always have good rock 45s for a buck or 2. Good shop IMO, would be the worst place in the world to some though.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    don't you all know records stores that simply have a bad stock? i would of course be able to find something if there were boxes upon boxes of r&b 45s or say 10.000 jazz records.

but i know some stores that only have pop and rock records from the 80s. just not my kind of thing. you must have stores like that in the US? i still check those stores for new entries but some of them only ocassionally have recent reissues.

you must live in heaven! i agree that even if all the big named diggers went to a particular store already, i'd still go. people know different things and like and buy different records in that case, there will always be something left or stuff that others missed...

but bad record stores? don't you all know some that have just been absolutely dead for years?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I find that people who complain about record stores not having what they want are focused only on one kind of music. Usually I hear that complaint from would-be crate diggers trying to out-Dante Dante, or think they're the next Manship.

Once, years ago on Soul Strut, some high-rolling collector from NYC or somewhere started a thread bitching about the lack of good record stores in Chicago, as if he was expecting to walk down the street and see collectible rarities in the sidewalk cracks. He didn't specify what he was looking for (IIRC), but dollars to donuts he was looking for some ultra-rare plastic-bag item and was pissed at what he didn't find.

I'm not saying that we should all have diverse tastes (you like what you like). And I would sooner leave a record store empty-handed than buy mountains of dollarbin chud. But these capital-C Collectors who emphasize money values and rarity can be a pain in the ass to talk to.