sniffed my first GLUE today

upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
edited December 2012 in Strut Central
hoping it will turn out ok...

Comments

• What kind of glue did you use?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    it works for me like a charm. I tried different glues and ended up with this one:
    http://shop.labbe.de/bastel-basics/klebstoffe/gluo-schulkleber.html
    Quite cheap and also available in big bottles.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    What kind of glue did you use?

looks like this

no name bottle, blue juice, i want it to work but i dont want to get addickted!!!!!!!!!!!

• I guess I'm a little worried because all of the wood glues that I know of that are safe to use for this are opaque. They shouldn't have much of an odor.

It's not like I'm an expert on all of the glues out there, though.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Pardon my ignorance, but what are you trying to do here?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    what condition are the records you do this for?

I always buy records from places where they're in pretty horrible storage conditions, so usually they're filthy, with at least a good layer of soot, sometimes mold and other things on them. Right now I use that Groovy Cleaner stuff they sell at Turntable Lab, but the little rag that came with it is pretty grimy at this point. This glue business seems very time and space consuming. Is there any other option for cleaning them that's not a VPI machine?

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    ppadilha said:

I always buy records from places where they're in pretty horrible storage conditions, so usually they're filthy, with at least a good layer of soot, sometimes mold and other things on them. Right now I use that Groovy Cleaner stuff they sell at Turntable Lab, but the little rag that came with it is pretty grimy at this point. This glue business seems very time and space consuming. Is there any other option for cleaning them that's not a VPI machine?

I don't think it's very space-consuming at all. Some newspaper, a record, and a bottle of glue. The drying time is minimal as well. I've done this with grimy 45s, but used Elmer's wood glue, and had good results each time.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    JATX said:
    ppadilha said:

I don't think it's very space-consuming at all. Some newspaper, a record, and a bottle of glue. The drying time is minimal as well. I've done this with grimy 45s, but used Elmer's wood glue, and had good results each time.

my problem is I live in a small apartment. If I come home with 4-5 LPs I don't have a place where I can lay them out for a few hours while the glue dries. I could do it on the dining room table, but my wife wouldn't appreciate it.

I'll still give it a shot though, maybe just for the especially bad cases.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    I live in an apartment, too, with the exception of a wife. Records covered in glue are one of the many reasons my lady prefers us to hang out at her place most of the time.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    Your wife has a separate place?

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Yemsky said:
    Your wife has a separate place?

No i don't. i have a girlfriend who has her own place.

I do need a house, though, now that i think about it.

• im still shook to even attempt this!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I have a nitty gritty.
    Are there any situations where the glue method would be preferable to wet vac?

Anyone ever had their stylus pick up glue residue?

• LaserWolf said:
    I have a nitty gritty.
    Are there any situations where the glue method would be preferable to wet vac?

Anyone ever had their stylus pick up glue residue?
    I use this method often on my grimy latin records and does a great job that is comparable to a VPI/Nitty Gritty. I've never had a problem with residue, and if you're using the correct type of glue, you shouldn't have any.

However, I strongly recommend using Elmer's School Glue over wood glue if you're cleaning pre-mid 60s, budget, and/or private press records. If you do use wood glue on these records, you might run into the problem of the record becoming extremely hissy after pealing off the glue. Not sure what the exact reason is, but my guess is that the majority of these records were press on vinyl with lots of paper filler and the wood glue bonds with it. You can do a simple color test to see if this will happen. Just put a small drop of glue somewhere in the run-out groove and peal it off when it dries. If the spot is brown afterward, then don't use the wood glue and instead use Elmer's School Glue. If the spot is black (or whatever the color of the record is), then wood glue should be fine.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    to answer some questions..does it have an odor ? yup, putting it on it smelled a little bit toxic, i do have some woodglue but havent tried it yet, so do not know if it will smell the same, more or less toxic ? no resude detected, glue had dried up, any small pieces still present after removing the skin can easily be taken off with tape, time consuming ? not really, took a few minuttes rubbing it on, but waited something like 24 hours before removing the glueskin, to be certain that it was 100% dry!
    woodglue is cheaper, but this being a first for me, i wanted to start out with certified record skin (glue), never heard heads complain about woodglue either, regarding hissing sound left by glue on private budget or pre 60s wax, never heard that before ???

• Try playing the glue.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I strongly recommend using Elmer's School Glue over wood glue...

Yeah, you need water soluble PVA glue (Elmer's glue) to be safe. Wood glue generally isn't water soluble (although it is pva based) and has hardening and bonding agents that I wouldn't want near my vinyl. Been doing this for a good while and the kids' stuff works great and can be washed off easily if need be. Also completely non-toxic.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    That Selda record tho.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    im still shook to even attempt this!

Me too. Several people have told me it works and that there's nothing to worry about, but the way these things usually go for me, I'll end up not being able to peel the dried glue off or something like that.