What up with the unissued 1968 Marva Whitney LP

2»

Comments

• word ... thanks for the info. i'll be lookin out for the lp when it comes out. i knew someone on soulstrut would have an answer. sucks about the jb's album. i know use me came out as a european only 45 ... and its sick. wish i could hear the rest of that album.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts

Hopefully next spring, so we can support the release with a tour ..

Oh yeah? Where's this tour happening?

• Oh yeah? Where's this tour happening?

The usual playgrounds. Europe, Japan. Most likely we'll get a tour rollin' in the US as well, but it's tough over here.

• word ... thanks for the info. i'll be lookin out for the lp when it comes out. i knew someone on soulstrut would have an answer. sucks about the jb's album. i know use me came out as a european only 45 ... and its sick. wish i could hear the rest of that album.

Yeah, "Use me" is the flip side of "Everybody plays the fool", which is a J.B.'s release. Not in Europe, but a regular People 45 (PE616). Nice two-sider.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    What happened, Pari?
    Or did I hibernate while I Sing Soul was available?

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    Oh, and will you repost your radio show somewhere? The old link does not work anymore.

Soulpower said:
    Here the download for last night's Midnight Soulstice with special guest Soulsister Number One, Marva Whitney!! Listen to Marva talk about her roots, her days with James Brown, the Forte era and her latest album "I am what I am". We also discussed her unreleased King Records album "I Sing Soul" and played some of the tracks of this record on public radio for the very first time.

http://wrir.org/x/modules/news/article.php?storyid=9355

Playlist:

- Marva Whitney: Things got to get better (live) (King)
    - Marva Whitney: Your love was good for me (Federal)
    - Marva Whitney & James Brown: Think (live) (King)
    - Marva Whitney: My funny Valentine (King / unreleased)
    - Marva Whitney & James Brown: Sunny (King)
    - Marva Whitney: People (King / unreleased)
    - Marva Whitney: Respect (King / unreleased)
    - Marva Whitney: Unwind yourself (King)
    - Marva Whitney: Tit for tat (Ain't no takin' back) (King)
    - Marva Whitney: It's my thing (live) (Unreleased version)
    - Marva Whitney & James Brown: You got to have a job (live) (King)
    - Marva Whitney: This girl's in Love (King)
    - Marva Whitney: Giving up on Love (T-Neck)
    - Marva Whitney & Osaka Monaurail: I am what I am (P.1 & 2) (Shout)
    - Marva Whitney: Daddy don't know about Sugar Bear (Excello)
    - Marva Whitney: Ball of Fire (King)
    - M-W-T Express: Nothing I'd rather be (than your weakness) (Forte)
    - Marva Whitney: Saving my love for my baby (Shout)
    - Marva Whitney & Osaka Monaurail: What do I have to do to prove my love to you (Shout)

• We're still working on it. As you may know, Universal Music holds the rights to the King Records catalog. It took a long time for Universal to locate the masters because of despite the project being assigned a catalog number back in the day, all songs were filed as separate songs and issued separate catalog numbers - some even under the name James Brown. After we've overcome this hurdle, Universal referred as back to Universal Japan, because the record is going to be released on Shout! Records from Tokyo (owned by Osaka Monaurail). But Universal Japan wasn't too interested in the release and have repeatedly ignored out requests to license the tunes. This all became quite frustrating and we somewhat put the release on the backburner while working on numerous other projects.

It even got to the point where Ms Whitney pushed us to release the album without a licensing agreement, and she wanted to take "full responsibility" for it and even "willing to do jail time." lol Of course this isn't how it works.

Now that Ms Whitney has passed away, we are back at the negotiating table with Universal. Hopefully, they will express more interest this time around.

• And here's a new link to the radio special. We just aired it again last week and created a new file.

http://midnightsoulstice.podbean.com/2012/12/29/a-tribute-to-marva-whitney/

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Soulpower said:

It even got to the point where Ms Whitney pushed us to release the album without a licensing agreement, and she wanted to take "full responsibility" for it and even "willing to do jail time." lol Of course this isn't how it works.

Now that Ms Whitney has passed away, we are back at the negotiating table with Universal. Hopefully, they will express more interest this time around.

Always too sad when big record companies* screw around with the work of an artist and prevent it from being released in their lifetime.

* Universal, not soulpower.

• LaserWolf said:
    Soulpower said:

Always too sad when big record companies* screw around with the work of an artist and prevent it from being released in their lifetime.

* Universal, not soulpower.

It's not so much that Universal is screwing around with it ... they just didn't seem to be interested enough to be even bothered to license it. What is sad is that it takes for an artist to die to generate this interest.