Marva Whitney RIP

leonleon 883 Posts
edited December 2012 in Strut Central
Marva Whitney passed away age 68. one of the great soul voices. So sad. Strength to all family and friends.

http://m.facebook.com/marvawhitney?id=108918076381&refsrc=http://nl-nl.facebook.com/marvawhitney&_rdr

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    R.I.P.

• RIP to the funkiest woman ever to do her thing.

• Oh Man,
    RIP Mrs. Whitney. I really wanted to catch her on stage in the last few years, but she never made it my way. What a voice, what a delivery. James died this time also six yrs ago, seems like yesterday.

• damn man this is crazy......dropping the needle on this

R.I.P

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    One of my favorite female funk artists. Her 45s were some of the first that I really hunted down.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I got to see Marva twice, the last time being NYE last year. My firnd Pari, who is on here sometimes, managed Ms. Whitney for years and was very close with her and her family. My most heartfelt condolences go out to he and his wife.

Like I said earlier, I was fortunate enough to see Marva play in her later years and she still had it for sure. I remember waiting by the backstage entrance for Pari to let Abby and I in, and there was an older guy waiting by the door too. He looked about 65-70 and was wearing a work uniform. He was gripping a copy of "Lowdown" and looking pretty nervous. He told us after working a late shift, he had come all the way from Canarsie to see Marva Whitney, and the last time she played NYC was when Lowdown was recorded. Obviously he was a huge fan... an Original fan. He said the security wouldn't let him back to get his record signed, so when Pari came up to let us in I brought him with us. He was ECSTATIC to finally meet her and get her autograph. The shear joy that man experienced was one of the best things I've ever seen.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Thank you for sharing that story. That's better than opening gifts.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    RIP to great voice.

• @Tom Thanks for the kind words bro. It's been a rough two days, and it still hasn't sunk in that she's gone, but we're ok. She hadn't been too well since the last time we saw you, and at least she had a great run in the last 8 years, which made her happy. Hope to see you soon.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

• minimini 879 Posts
    RIP