Best Ski Genre movie ever >

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited December 2012 in Strut Central
Hot Dog >>>>>>>>>Any other ski movie ever made. IMO.

Comments

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Blown Away. Not only are the Coreys (Cories?) the stars of the movie--- that hot girl from Charles in Charge shows her boobs in pretty much every scene. Unless we're talking quality this is the best one.

• Nicole Eggert...hmmmm

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    This was roughly twenty years ago when I saw it. That chick was hot twenty years ago when I was a teenager. You don't get to the Charle's in Charge level on fame unless you're hot. Think about it. I admit I have not seen any ski movies since then.

• Ski Party:

(OK, this is the only scene I've seen, but that's enough for me.)

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Best ski movie soundtrack

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I gotta go with Better Off Dead if the judges allow it.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    bluesnag said:
    I gotta go with Better Off Dead if the judges allow it.

He's Skiing on One SKI !!!!

Also like ;

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Oh yeaaaah! This is my genre. I love this shit, really.

Ok, first off, you have to realise that the best ski movie ever is Hot Ice, which Tom Noble, formerly of this great forum, introduced me to years ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0129148/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Next, it's very important to recognise that Apres Ski, notwithstanding it's killer OST, is a steaming turd in the middle of the bunny hill. It's a bad film, a very bad film, and not in the good way. Think flaccid penises belonging to hirsute men flapping against the undulating flesh of even more hirsute women (inclined toward embonpoint) in a drugged-out attempt at simulated sex, if you see what i mean.

Now, the Hot Dogs franchise is good, yes, but can it compare to the Ski School films? And what about Ski Patrol, where we enjoy the zaniness of a ski patrol outfit somewhere in the rockies that's gone multicultural? Nothing enlivens my trips to Sun Valley like the jive talking black and hispanic ski patrollers. And really, did these cynical attempts at marketing to non-white demographics ever work? I'm doubtful.

Aspen Extreme brought a certain classiness to the genre, and curiously, I think Hot Tub Time Machine had the soul of a ski flick, and nicely updated the genre.

However, in these dark days of violence and suffering, I think most would agree the time is nigh for another ski film, a true ski film, to bring schuss salvation. We can only hope, because unless we beat those uppity preppies, developers will buy the hill and we'll all be out of a job without superfluous jacuzzi boobies.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Better Off Dead >>>>>>> Any [strike]Ski[/strike] Movie Ever

This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Hot Dog is the Godfather of ski movies, for sure. My friends and I wore out a tape of that growing up, and a few of us still break out the DVD occasionally. We can all still quote the whole thing (and do, often).

Better Off Dead, well, if that gets included--and I guess it should--it's the Goodfellas. That one's so good I don't want to revisit it for fear of finding out it sucks. But I bet it doesn't.

Ski Schools were good, if a bit late for me. Ski Patrol? I dunno. The one filmed in the crazy hostel I used to stay at up in Whistler, I think that's Ski School. Those were okay.

But YES: HOT DOG IS KING IN MY BOOK.

• Horseleech said:
    Ski Party:

(OK, this is the only scene I've seen, but that's enough for me.)

This is the only scene you need to see. Take away James Brown and you have one tired-ass movie.

• Really surprised nobody has mentioned Downhill Racer. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064253/
    Robert Redford,Gene Hackman, Dabney Coleman. 1969.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Better Off Dead, well, if that gets included--and I guess it should--it's the Goodfellas. That one's so good I don't want to revisit it for fear of finding out it sucks. But I bet it doesn't.

Are you kidding? That was a taped-from-HBO VHS classic from my youth and, yet, even without seeing it in years, I can remember much of the humor being over my head at the time, including the aforementioned "pure snow" quote or the (I'm paraphrasing) "Why would someone throw out a perfectly good white boy?" Ricky, who remains my personal gold standard for movie nerds, even skied and I still don't understand how/why he abused nasal spray. I think I'm prime for a revisit.

• Better Off Dead has to be the most overrated shit ever.

It's not even a top 25 80's movie for me.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Better Off Dead has to be the most overrated shit ever.

List 'em or else your critique has no roots in reality.

• white_tea said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Better Off Dead has to be the most overrated shit ever.

List 'em or else your critique has no roots in reality.

I don't really have time to do that task justice today.

But for a rough estimate, start with Sixteen Candles and Say Anything (two vastly superior Cusack movies), add some Zucker, Abrahams and Zucker joints (Top Secret, Naked Gun, Airplane), then add any 10 movies from John Candy's 80's catalogue, and complete the 25 with a random selection from the following: Blues Bros, Trading Places, Coming to America, Caddyshack, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Breakfast Club, Ferris Buellers, Beverley Hills Cop and/or Revenge of the Nerds.

And that's comedies alone! Add drama/action movies and Better of Dead prolly gets pushed sub-75.

• oh, and the answer to this thread's initial question is "Aspen Extreme."

just kidding.

sorta.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    fountain16 said:
    Really surprised nobody has mentioned Downhill Racer. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064253/
    Robert Redford,Gene Hackman, Dabney Coleman. 1969.

^^^This is the correct answer.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Spellbound

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Hot Tub Time Machine

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I can't really remember much about that movie. Except for Megan Draper breast...

• I watch Ski Party last night and it was delciously bad.