Religious Cult Music

usernameusername 71 Posts
edited December 2012 in Strut Central
anyone collect religious/xian music? suggestions?

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I am a big fan of these Hare Krishna joints!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Welcome

• I am a big fan of these Hare Krishna joints!

yeah, the rasa lp has a krs one sample.

• You talking bout:
    Come all ye faithful - Mormon tabernacle

• i enjoy this one:
    Attached files

• What's the difference between xian cult music and plain old xian music?

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    This is basically a contemporary gospel record, but it came out on Motown and they probably didn't know how to market it which is why you tend to see a lot of promo copies. It's too bad because it may have sold a little better if it would have been marketed that way. There are some youtubes with selections that I tend to play regularly, but the sound quality on most of them are butt.

Attached files

Horseleech said:
    What's the difference between xian cult music and plain old xian music?

The Kool Aid

• yeah.
    Attached files

• batmon said:
    Horseleech said:

The Kool Aid

Horseleech said:
    batmon said:
    Horseleech said:

The Kool Aid

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ya_Ho_Wha_13

Founded in 1973 in the Los Angeles area, Ya Ho Wha 13, otherwise known Yahowha 13 is a psychedelic rock band fronted by Father Yod, spiritual leader of a religious cult/commune called the Source Family. Ya Ho Wha without the vowels and spaces reduces to YHWH, the tetragrammaton. The band recorded nine LPs full of their extreme psychedelic sound with tribal drums and distorted guitars, some of which were completely unrehearsed jam sessions, others which contained more conventional rock songs.

Members of The Source Family, who lived in the Hollywood Hills in the early 1970s, decided to fuse their musical talents and spirituality by forming an improvisational, psychedelic music group. They began to press LPs in 1973, most of which were recorded after hours of meditation at 3:00-6:00 a.m. in a soundproofed garage that served as the musicians??? studio at the family's communal residence. All of the records with Father Yod???s participation were completely improvised, with no rehearsals or overdubs. Most of the albums were pressed in small runs of only 500 to 1000 copies on the Higher Key label. They were sold to the general public in Father Yod???s popular vegetarian Source Restaurant for $10 each. Though only nine LPs were produced and released, it is rumored that more than 65 albums were recorded by the group but were lost over the years....Isis Aquarian, who was the family historian, archivist and one of Fathers wives, recently found a lot of these unreleased music tapes in her archives and they are now being remastered and released through Drag City Records out of Chicago and their site www.Yahowha.org[1]

The band changed members occasionally, morphing into various incarnations, from Father Yod and the Spirit of ???76 to Ya Ho Wha 13 to The Savage Sons of Ya Ho Wha, Yodship, and Fire Water Air; but the key players were always the same: (Djin Aquarian on guitar, Octavious Aquarian on drums, and Sunflower Aquarian on bass) along with other family musicians Lovely Aquarian, Hom Aquarian, Rhythm Aquarian, Pythias Aquarian, Aquariana Aquarian, Ahom Aquarian, Electron Aquarian. Father Yod does not appear on all their album releases, but for those on which he participates, he handles lead vocals and percussion, via a kettle drum. Yahowha 13 was Father Yod's signature band. He said that its music would continue his teaching (by the words he used) long after he was gone... and it has held true -as the music held a cult underground following all these years and now the next generation has embraced it. Former pop star Sky Saxon of The Seeds had joined the Source Family in 1973 and occasionally appeared on the band's recordings.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Tim Maia

• Too bad there is not a DAvid Koresh LP, I bet it would be sick.

FInd his tapes and loop up some Boards of Canada behind it......

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ya_Ho_Wha_13

Founded in 1973 in the Los Angeles area, Ya Ho Wha 13, otherwise known Yahowha 13 is a psychedelic rock band fronted by Father Yod, spiritual leader of a religious cult/commune called the Source Family. Ya Ho Wha without the vowels and spaces reduces to YHWH, the tetragrammaton. The band recorded nine LPs full of their extreme psychedelic sound with tribal drums and distorted guitars, some of which were completely unrehearsed jam sessions, others which contained more conventional rock songs.

Members of The Source Family, who lived in the Hollywood Hills in the early 1970s, decided to fuse their musical talents and spirituality by forming an improvisational, psychedelic music group. They began to press LPs in 1973, most of which were recorded after hours of meditation at 3:00-6:00 a.m. in a soundproofed garage that served as the musicians??? studio at the family's communal residence. All of the records with Father Yod???s participation were completely improvised, with no rehearsals or overdubs. Most of the albums were pressed in small runs of only 500 to 1000 copies on the Higher Key label. They were sold to the general public in Father Yod???s popular vegetarian Source Restaurant for $10 each. Though only nine LPs were produced and released, it is rumored that more than 65 albums were recorded by the group but were lost over the years....Isis Aquarian, who was the family historian, archivist and one of Fathers wives, recently found a lot of these unreleased music tapes in her archives and they are now being remastered and released through Drag City Records out of Chicago and their site www.Yahowha.org[1]

The band changed members occasionally, morphing into various incarnations, from Father Yod and the Spirit of ???76 to Ya Ho Wha 13 to The Savage Sons of Ya Ho Wha, Yodship, and Fire Water Air; but the key players were always the same: (Djin Aquarian on guitar, Octavious Aquarian on drums, and Sunflower Aquarian on bass) along with other family musicians Lovely Aquarian, Hom Aquarian, Rhythm Aquarian, Pythias Aquarian, Aquariana Aquarian, Ahom Aquarian, Electron Aquarian. Father Yod does not appear on all their album releases, but for those on which he participates, he handles lead vocals and percussion, via a kettle drum. Yahowha 13 was Father Yod's signature band. He said that its music would continue his teaching (by the words he used) long after he was gone... and it has held true -as the music held a cult underground following all these years and now the next generation has embraced it. Former pop star Sky Saxon of The Seeds had joined the Source Family in 1973 and occasionally appeared on the band's recordings.

The dude who does the radio show that precedes mine plays this stuff all the time...strange shit

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    yes, Tim Maia

the cult still exists to this day. A few months ago I was on the subway in S??o Paulo and a bunch of them got on the train wearing t-shirts like this, with the crazy portal thing on it:

I seriously considered asking them for a shirt, but was afraid they would want me to drink the kool-aid first

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Comment says this is actually from '88, not '72...

From '86...

• I seem to remember a person, last name Carmicheal, who might have participated in the making of a number of vinyls.

• This is probably my favorite xian record out there. I know a bunch of people who have found it and I traded a friend a copy of this for the Archie Whitewater now I am regretting it but this joint has a really dope song in "Jan's song" and has numerous breaks and loops. Ameoba is selling mp3's of the album.

http://www.amoeba.com/ride-on-god-unlimited/albums/834955/

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

When I was a teen I knew a bunch of people into this group. I went to some of their parties in Georgetown, and might have heard the musicians as on these records. Mostly pseudo Eastern rock/improv jams.
    I still have a pin with their medallion on it.

Stephen Gaskin would come through town once a year with the Farm Band and do a free concert.
    I remember hearing them at Fort Reno.
    I had (might still have) his book Hey Beatnik.
    They proselytized mainly to pregnant teen girls.
    Have not heard the lps but I remember the band having a Grateful Dead vibe.

This was a straight ahead Christian rock band.
    Blaine Smith lived down the street from me, but was 8 or 10 years older.
    I remember hearing the group who proceed Sons Of Thunder (Salem I think). They sounded a lot like Jefferson Airplane.
    Heard Sons Of Thunder more than once back in Jr High days.

I find SOT lps that I have heard very pedestrian.
    I like the Arica stuff ok, some more than ok. Experimental Eastern jams.
    Have not heard the Farm Band.