GUESS that R&B SONG...

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited December 2012 in Strut Central
I have been trying to remember an R&B track that did well in the charts and had a music video, circa 2000ish.

It's a popular female solo R&B artist.

It's a slow song. Mellow vibe. Mellow vocals. Most likely played in major.

The music video is simple.. she's sat playing the organ a Fender Rhodes or something similar in an apartment.

Possibly playing it on the balcony, or the camera is looking into the room over the balcony.

One of these:

I know it's vague but that's all I can remember, and I have been searching ever since..

Any ideas?

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I don't know the answer to your question, but if it was a popular female r&b artist emoting in front of a keyboard with a mellow and dilute retro vibe in the early 2000s, I'm gonna say there's like a sixty to seventy-five percent chance that it was Alicia Keys.

• james said:
    I don't know the answer to your question, but if it was a popular female r&b artist emoting in front of a keyboard with a mellow and dilute retro vibe in the early 2000s, I'm gonna say there's like a sixty to seventy-five percent chance that it was Alicia Keys.

First place I looked.

I've tried all her music videos and can't find anything.

I'll definitely know it when I see / hear it, but I don't think it's Alicia Keys.

It was around in the early 2000's though.

• I looked at a bunch of charts and couldn't even get close to anything that seemed right. Any more details?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    I've tried all her music videos
    God help you.

Even so, the fact that the song is not wholly memorable also points to Ms Keys. Just saying.

Was there a scene with records spread out on the floor?

• The artist was mid to late 20's at the time, slim.

The most vivid part is that the vid is really basic, just her in an apartment sat playing a Fender Rhodes type organ.

It's about the same tempo (maybe slightly slower) and similar vibe to A Long Walk by Jill Scott.

• Was it Shola Ama?

• Sorry that wasn't very helpful:

This it?

• BINGO!!!

Thanks man.. I've been trying to remember that for 10 years!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Optimus beat me to it. It's a Randy Crawford cover, IIRC.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Neo Beige Soul

• Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    BINGO!!!

Thanks man.. I've been trying to remember that for 10 years!

Enjoy.

• I've kissed Shola Ama (with tongues)