Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    So....... he's a man eater?

Two thumbs up, well played

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    So....... he's a man eater?

Witty comment of the day. If i remember 12/12/12 for anything, it will be this...

• What are some other good blue-eyed soul acts?

LOL, I was gonna post this as an example, but until now I never knew it was a brother singing... Love this tune, AM Gold soul.

• Plantweed said:
    What are some other good blue-eyed soul acts?

Bobby Caldwell

Pages

???

• motown67 said:

:beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    motown67 said:

:beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

Goddamn this is sick.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Hall & Oates: Gentrified Black Music?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I was working jobs where I had to listen to top 40 radio when Hall & Oates were churning out hits.
    According to Whitburn they were far more successful on the pop charts than R&B charts. (For whatever that is worth.)
    Never thought of them as R&B. Never saw their records in the soul bins. All you all are the first people I have ever heard call them soul.

Very different than Bobby Caldwell or Teena Marie.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    She's Gone has been played regularly on soul stations since it came out.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I was working jobs where I had to listen to top 40 radio when Hall & Oates were churning out hits.
    According to Whitburn they were far more successful on the pop charts than R&B charts. (For whatever that is worth.)
    Never thought of them as R&B. Never saw their records in the soul bins. All you all are the first people I have ever heard call them soul.

Very different than Bobby Caldwell or Teena Marie.

I should have read the thread first, no one thinks they are R&B.

To be clear, they did well on the R&B charts, but they did better on the pop charts.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Their hits/videos had regular rotation on NY Hot Tracks BITD right next to other R&B/Pop/Hip Hop videos.
    Even shit like Family Man & Method of Modern Love was getting played, but I never heard that shit on Black radio.
    Man-Eater I think did. I Cant Go For That did.

They get their pass IMO. But they are not Black Core Audience acts that tried to Reverse Crossover.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    batmon said:
    Black Core Audience acts that tried to Reverse Crossover.

that would be a good thread

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    batmon said:

I'd settle for an example. I'm having trouble figuring out what this means.

Do you mean like Teena Marie with "Lovergirl"? Artist of one race has core audience of another race, so getting a hit among their own race actually qualifies as a crossover?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    james said:
    SIRUS said:
    batmon said:

I'd settle for an example. I'm having trouble figuring out what this means.

Do you mean like Teena Marie with "Lovergirl"? Artist of one race has core audience of another race, so getting a hit among their own race actually qualifies as a crossover?

Emerald City is the seventh album by Teena Marie, released in 1986. It is a stylistic departure for her, with strong rock and jazz influences favored over her established soul/funk style, and is a concept album. This proved puzzling for fans and critics, and the album sold poorly, peaking at #20 on the US Black Albums chart and #81 on the Billboard Albums chart. Two singles, "Lips to Find You" and "Love Me Down Easy", were released. They reached #28 and #76 respectively on the Black Singles chart, but neither charted on the Billboard Hot 100. However, "Shangri-La", while it never became a single or charted anywhere, became a staple of quiet-storm programming blocks on adult R&B radio.

Stevie Ray Vaughan played the guitar solo on "You So Heavy" and Stanley Clarke provided bass on "Sunny Skies".

I read one critique in ALL MUSIC - where they said this album was well received by Rockists.....I dont know how true that claim is though.

Michael McDonald while never losing his Black Pass kept his Pass freshly re-signed w/ the Patti Labelle duet On My Own and then moved onto that Motown shit which is raceless...IMO. And that Motwon shit wasnt played on Black Radio.

• Say it isn't so...

Say it isn't so painful to tell me that your dissatisfied.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    a friend of mine just posted this on facebook, saying "Who knew that this guy would be doing a fuzzed-out, blue-eyed-soul record, in his sixties?"