Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    R.I.P. His records were my gateway into Maharishi Yogi, Malachi, and other sitar led records.

• What are the Ravi Shankar must haves? Did he ever get funky like his nephew Ananda? Can't believe Norah Jones is his daughter. I mean, the guy had a lot of talent.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I think the first must have is a clean record. This has gotten harder to find in recent years.

Most of the records I have listened to have one raga on each side. Never got into it deep enough that it made much of difference to me which raga I listened to.

I like both records with Yehudi Menuhin.

I have a 45 credited to R.Shankar that is with a rock rhythm section or something. For me it sucked.

The Charly soundtrack might be most funky/break/beat oriented thing I have heard from him. I like it, but it is nothing like Ananda's music.

He was a classical musician and his records are best enjoyed in that light.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    I saw him play once maybe 6 or 7 years back at the SF Opera Hall and it was such an amazing experience. To have seen him play was definitely a privilege. He was a wonderful person. Even though he was old and it was his time to go, it is still very sad and a great loss.
    RIP Ravi Shankar

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    His records are more for meditation than head nodding, and they are usually cheap if you should decide to explore his catalog.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Goddamn, what a mediocre response to the passing of a true legend.

The man was a genius, pure and simple.

Here's a guide to buying his records: When you see one, buy it.

RIP

• Shit, he was 92...he won.

Hard to get sad/reflective about a gentleman who got to share his art, to great success, for as long as he did. Amazing man, amazing life.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    When you see one, buy it.

RIP