Paul McCartney to front Nirvana - Tonight (WTF related)

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited December 2012 in Strut Central
Tonight???s concert for victims of superstorm Sandy is set to become a slice of music history with the news that Paul McCartney will sing with former members of Nirvana.

McCartney will be standing in for the late Kurt Cobain when he sings with Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic, who have seldom performed together in the last 20 years.

'Somebody whispered to me: 'That's Nirvana. You're Kurt.' I couldn't believe it.'???Paul McCartney

They join a high-profile lineup for the benefit concert in New York, including the Rolling Stones, Billy Joel, Jon Bon Jovi, Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen and Kanye West.

Grohl recently invited McCartney to come along to "jam with some mates," according to reports in the British press.

The group, with Grohl on drums, Novoselic on bass and Pat Smear, who toured with Nirvana, on guitar, ended up creating a new song with the former Beatle.

"I didn't really know who they were,??? McCartney said. ???They are saying how good it is to be back together. I said: 'Whoa? You guys haven't played together for all that time?' And somebody whispered to me: 'That's Nirvana. You're Kurt.' I couldn't believe it."
Concert to be streamed online

The 12-12-12 concert at Madison Square Garden will be available on television or online to about two billion people, according to James Dolan, one of the producers. None of the main U.S. networks is carrying it, but 34 smaller networks are, including HBO and Showtime.

The sold-out benefit is being produced by movie mogul Harvey Weinstein, who said the show has raised $30 million so far for victims of the storm that hit the east coast of the U.S. on Oct. 29. Thousands of people had their homes destroyed when Sandy struck New York state and New Jersey.

McCartney???s appearance with the remaining members of Nirvana (Cobain died in 1994) will come at the end of the evening, along with a performance by all the artists together onstage. In addition to the former Beatle, British rock royalty such as the Who, Chris Martin and Roger Waters are set to perform.

Some of the segments about storm victims will be introduced by Sean Combs, Brian Williams, Jon Stewart, Jamie Foxx, Chris Rock, Chelsea Clinton, Adam Sandler, Seth Meyers and Leonardo DiCaprio.

The concert begins at 7.30 ET tonight.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/12/12/sandy-benefit-concert.html

Comments

• b/w

wtf happened to roger waters' voice? and why is eddie vedder bleating comfortably numb?

you guys have to see this shit:

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2012/12/12/12-12-12-concert-live-stream-nirvana-paul-mccartney-rock-madison-square-garden-for-sandy-relief-effort/

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    and Rolling Stones, Billy Joel, Jon Bon Jovi, Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen and Kanye West

I say that Billy Joel will be the highlight of the evening.
    That Bruce will please his fans and connect with the audience and cause.

The rest will be a battle to see which is the most disappointing.

• it feels like am watching the death throes of the music industry. cliches upon cliches and so on

• Love 'em or hate 'em Bon Jovi is a great stadium band.

• OptimusLime said:
    Love 'em or hate 'em Bon Jovi is a great stadium band.

If by "great stadium band" you mean they have the ability to hype up large groups of dipshits with terrible taste in music and get them to sing along to terrible songs in stadiums, then yes they are "great" at that.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    OptimusLime said:

If by "great stadium band" you mean they have the ability to hype up large groups of dipshits with terrible taste in music and get them to sing along to terrible songs in stadiums, then yes they are "great" at that.

No, they actually are a great stadium band and you don't need to be a dipshit to appreciate that. I've worked on Bon Jovi shows and believe me they are a fucking joy to behold compared to a lot of cooler artists who take the money and can't wait to get off stage. I don't even like their music but they put on shows that leave people feeling good about themselves and the music. That's what a great stadium band is.

• Flomotion said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    OptimusLime said:

No, they actually are a great stadium band and you don't need to be a dipshit to appreciate that. I've worked on Bon Jovi shows and believe me they are a fucking joy to behold compared to a lot of cooler artists who take the money and can't wait to get off stage. I don't even like their music but they put on shows that leave people feeling good about themselves and the music. That's what a great stadium band is.

Uhh, isn't it the goal of all music performances to leave your audience satisfied and feeling good.

• Flomotion said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    OptimusLime said:

Uhh, isn't it the goal of all music performances to leave your audience satisfied and feeling good?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Flomotion said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    OptimusLime said:

Uhh, isn't it the goal of all music performances to leave your audience satisfied and feeling good?
    No. I've been to many shows where clearly the goal was to project an image and/or indulge the performer and/or collect a paycheck, and/or just get back to the fucking hotel. And I'm sure you have, too.

Completing the circuit between performer and audience takes a particular kind of talent, and it's ludicrous to pretend that just any band can do it, let alone do it on a large scale.

I'm not saying you've gotta like Bon Jovi or "respect their hustle" or whatever, but come on, dude.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Flomotion said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    OptimusLime said:

I agree, but some of the freeer jazz cats I know would beg to differ. They say it should make people think, whereas I think that if people have paid money for a live performance, it should entertain, or else they could go home and put the record on.

• james said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Flomotion said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    OptimusLime said:

No. I've been to many shows where clearly the goal was to project an image and/or indulge the performer and/or collect a paycheck, and/or just get back to the fucking hotel. And I'm sure you have, too.

Completing the circuit between performer and audience takes a particular kind of talent, and it's ludicrous to pretend that just any band can do it, let alone do it on a large scale.

I'm not saying you've gotta like Bon Jovi or "respect their hustle" or whatever, but come on, dude.

whatever. Any band that can pack a stadium is going to have enough people in the audience ga ga over their performance and artist regardless if it seems they are phoning it in, or appear not to be completely invested in it. You might as well say the Pope is a great orator because there is a sea of humanity hanging on to his every muddled, german word.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    OptimusLime said:

I got the chance to see them a few years ago, and I'd go see 'em again. A big part of the reason so many rock snobs hate Bon Jovi is because women like them. When I heard 15,000 women singing along to Someday I'll Be Saturday Night was when the penny dropped.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    james said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Flomotion said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    OptimusLime said:

whatever. Any band that can pack a stadium is going to have enough people in the audience ga ga over their performance and artist regardless if it seems they are phoning it in, or appear not to be completely invested in it. You might as well say the Pope is a great orator because there is a sea of humanity hanging on to his every muddled, german word.
    Huh. Do you feel the same way about Slade or MC5 or AC/DC or other stadium bands? I ask because although you're framing all this as objective criticism on the relative demerits of crowd-pleasers/stadium bands, I feel like that might kinda just be a smokescreen for the fact that you really don't like Bon Jovi. In which case I'm in the wrong argument.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    How about Nirvana with Paul McCartney fronting them doing a cover of Say Say Say with Jon Bon Jovi filling in for the MJ parts?

I'd buy that snake oil.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Love to see Paul sing Territorial Pissings.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

Obviously Yoko doesn't want her audience to leave feeling good about themselves...she just wants them to leave.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:

I know what you're saying but I honestly don't think it works like that. I'm dealing with major artist tours on a daily basis: there are stadium acts who shift millions of records but who can't tour more than once every 3/4 years. Then there are almost identical artists who can sell a big stadium tour every a year and still have to run extra dates on top. It's just down to how good a time their audiences have at the shows.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    How about Nirvana with Paul McCartney fronting them doing a cover of Say Say Say with Jon Bon Jovi filling in for the MJ parts?

I'd buy that snake oil.

Or or or how about hologram Kurt, George, John and Bonham performing Helter Skelter?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    bassie said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I'd buy that snake oil.

Or or or how about hologram Kurt, George, John and Bonham performing Helter Skelter?

I like the way you think (in hologram).