Rolling Stone's 50 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs Of All Time (rap threads on SS-r)

2»

Comments

• we'll all talk about the night harv put up 50

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    we'll all talk about the night harv put up 50

Most I ever scored in a game was 23. I did have another game where I scored 20, with 10 of those coming in the first quarter alone, all on long range shots (no 3-point line back then) over a 2-3 zone which put that ill-advised squad away immediatley. 2nd quarter my dude Binh Tran came in and made like 4 of his own the exact same way.

7. Ultramagnetic MC's - Ego Trippin'.

8. Smoothe da Hustler - Broken Language.

• SP 1200 said:
    It's an arrogant gesture for them to suggest they've the insight to comment on what the greatest hip hop tracks are. Most of the choices are good tracks but it's not a top 50 list.

Arrogant for a long running music magazine that covers a variety of genres to make a list of rap songs that is based on their opinion and is suitable for their readers? There is nothing arrogant about it.

If its an issue of authenticity, I can almost guarantee that a top 50 compiled by Herc or jazzy jay or chuck d or krs or _____ would probably blow too and would be debated.

Lists with a ranking order are generally losers from the get go.

9. Three 6 Mafia - Stay Fly.

10. Sir Mix A Lot - Posse on Broadway.

• "Broken Language" in Harv's top 10, but no UGK?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    SP 1200 said:
    It's an arrogant gesture for them to suggest they've the insight to comment on what the greatest hip hop tracks are. Most of the choices are good tracks but it's not a top 50 list.

Arrogant for a long running music magazine that covers a variety of genres to make a list of rap songs that is based on their opinion and is suitable for their readers? There is nothing arrogant about it.

It's arrogant if you call it The 50 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs Of All Time, and act like it is a definitive list. And it's not just based on RS's opinion, either - they got in a bunch of rap dudes and a couple of rockers to provide the muso authenticity, and I'm betting their lists were probably more varied and diverse and less obvious. And because of that, once you've done the number-crunching you end up with something skewed towards the more predictable choices that you'd most expect a bunch of critics to favour.

Upthread, Duder seemed to think that, once current rap had been given ten or twenty years to marinate (!!!), a list like this would look very different. To which I would say, "Bollocks." In the first place, the idea that rap needs to "marinate" is utter fucking nonsense - it's just another example of rock critic values being imposed upon the music, as if it needs to prove it has the longevity of, say, Dylan's best work before it can be taken seriously. As someone who heard and bought The Message when it came out, I can tell you it didn't need to marinate at all - it sounded incredible to me immediately. But let's not kid ourselves that The Message isn't also a typical rock critic's idea of the greatest rap record ever. The entire genre peaked 30 years ago and it's been downhill ever since - isn't that what the list is really saying? How's that for arrogant? Only five songs from this century, and none in the top 20? That suggests one of two things; either "We think all the great rap records have probably been made", or "We don't really listen to much rap these days unless it's by someone who sells lots of records." Or maybe a third thing; "We've decided what The Canon is and we've got ?uestlove, Boots Riley and Tom Morello to co-sign it, so we're good, thanks."

It's a load of shit.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    1. Fat Pat - Tops Drop.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    the message is the OG of beloved songs by non-rapp listeners.

• DocMcCoy said:

It's arrogant if you call it The 50 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs Of All Time, and act like it is a definitive list. And it's not just based on RS's opinion, either - they got in a bunch of rap dudes and a couple of rockers to provide the muso authenticity, and I'm betting their lists were probably more varied and diverse and less obvious. And because of that, once you've done the number-crunching you end up with something skewed towards the more predictable choices that you'd most expect a bunch of critics to favour.

It's a load of shit.

Gotcha on all of that. But, what would they call it if not 50 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs Of All Time?

50 Rap Songs in a Numerical List
    50 Rap Songs These Guys Like

A music list is kind of inherently arrogant, because it's the opinions of few meaning to be of significance for many.

As you said, the compilation of various dudes opinions ends up being a skewed list. The same happens with a popular vote. The only true list would be one person's list. No matter what, it's debate-bait.

Lists are doo doo if taken seriously, but can also bring up interesting discussion. I didn't really mean to challenge anyone on it, just pointing out that lists are bogus, no matter who they come from. Except SS Top 100 of course.

• I love how these threads end up with everybody saying "'Best of' lists are always stupid, pointless and arrogant. With that said, can you believe how stupid, pointless and arrogant this list is?!"

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Duder seemed to think that, once current rap had been given ten or twenty years to marinate (!!!), a list like this would look very different. To which I would say, "Bollocks." In the first place, the idea that rap needs to "marinate" is utter fucking nonsense

Well, that shoots down any defence I might have of the general standard of current rap ;-)

b/w

Kendrick Lamar: ???It ain???t a classic yet ??? it???s got to be at least 10 years"

:lol:

• Controller_7 said:
    SP 1200 said:

If its an issue of authenticity, I can almost guarantee that a top 50 compiled by Herc or jazzy jay or chuck d or krs or _____ would probably blow too and would be debated.

Lists with a ranking order are generally losers from the get go.

The point you make about them covering a variety of genres and being long standing is why I see their list as being arrogant.

I started buying hip hop in 1986 and was an avid fan at least up until the early 2000s and I wouldn't think of claiming to know the 50 top singles from that era.

If the list came from the likes of EgoTrip, Wax Poetics or, for example, members of this forum whose lives revolve around the music I'd take notice but not from a jack of all trades publication that state that Lose Yourself by Eminem is a superior release to any single from the likes of Nas, Schooly D, De La Soul and countless others.

hogginthefogg said:
    "Broken Language" in Harv's top 10, but no UGK?

I'm spreading the love all the way around the country. Already had Fat Pat as #1 for Texas. Mine aren't in a ranked order, just 50 songs. But don't fret...

11. UGK - Diamonds and Wood.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    the idea that rap needs to "marinate" be protected from a publication such as Rolling Stone is utter fucking nonsense

12. Eazy E - Boyz N the Hood
    13. Volume 10 - Pistolgrip Pump
    14. Luniz - I Got 5 On It

15. Jeru the Damaja - Come Clean
    16. East Flatbush Project - Tried by 12
    17. Masta Ace - Born to Roll
    18. Dead Prez - Hip Hop

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    hogginthefogg said:

I'm spreading the love all the way around the country. Already had Fat Pat as #1 for Texas. Mine aren't in a ranked order, just 50 songs. But don't fret...

It's a toss up between "Diamonds and Wood" and "Tops Drop." Both are Southern classics, though I can't say which is better. Everybody down here knows these two songs. The biggest tip I ever received from djing was $50 and it was when I played "Diamonds and Wood." As soon as the beat dropped the whole place got quiet and a sort of collective hypnotic vibe took over the crowd. It sounds corny now, but it was chilling at the time. I'm not sure folks outside of Texas can appreciate how much love and repspect U.G.K. has here. I hope that doesn't sound sanctimonious.

JATX said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    hogginthefogg said:

It's a toss up between "Diamonds and Wood" and "Tops Drop." Both are Southern classics, though I can't say which is better. Everybody down here knows these two songs. The biggest tip I ever received from djing was $50 and it was when I played "Diamonds and Wood." As soon as the beat dropped the whole place got quiet and a sort of collective hypnotic vibe took over the crowd. It sounds corny now, but it was chilling at the time. I'm not sure folks outside of Texas can appreciate how much love and repspect U.G.K. has here. I hope that doesn't sound sanctimonious.

True.

I was pleased this past weekend deejaying an engagement party here in Austin and having a non-rap crowd responding like happy lunatics to me playing Big Moe's City of Syrup.

...all I want to do, is bang Screw.

• HarveyCanal said:
    18. Dead Prez - Hip Hop

Proto-dubstep makes the list!

I am really diggin' your list, by the by.

hogginthefogg said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    18. Dead Prez - Hip Hop

Proto-dubstep makes the list!

:hijack:

Dubstep forum.com had (at least one) thread about 'the first dubstep tune' inspired by a bullshit comment from Timbaland that he invented it. Earlier examples include Second Peng by Autechre (1995), but for me this is the closest for feel, timing, swing etc... 'invented' by a lady in 1996:

19. Whodini ??? Friends
    20. UTFO ??? Roxanne, Roxanne
    21. Mantronix - Bassline
    22. Biz Markie ??? Make the Music with Your Mouth, Biz
    23. Big Daddy Kane ??? Raw
    24. Eric B and Rakim ??? I Ain???t No Joke
    25. EPMD ??? You Gots to Chill
    26. Slick Rick ??? Children???s Story
    27. MC Lyte ??? 10% Diss
    28. Special Ed ??? I Got It Made
    29. Kool G Rap ??? Road to the Riches
    30. Boogie Down Productions ??? My Philosophy
    31. Main Source ??? Looking at the Front Door
    32. Stetsasonic ??? Talkin??? All That Jazz
    33. Ed OG & da Bulldogs ??? I Gots to Have It
    34. The D.O.C. ??? It???s Funky Enough
    35. Digital Underground ??? The Humpty Dance
    36. N2Deep ??? Back to the Hotel
    37. Cypress Hill ??? How I Could Just Kill a Man
    38. Redman - Time 4 Sum Aksion
    39. Tha Pharcyde ??? Passin??? Me By
    40. OC ??? Time???s Up

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    19. Whodini ??? Friends
    20. UTFO ??? Roxanne, Roxanne
    21. Mantronix - Bassline
    22. Biz Markie ??? Make the Music with Your Mouth, Biz
    23. Big Daddy Kane ??? Raw
    24. Eric B and Rakim ??? I Ain???t No Joke
    25. EPMD ??? You Gots to Chill
    26. Slick Rick ??? Children???s Story
    27. MC Lyte ??? 10% Diss
    28. Special Ed ??? I Got It Made
    29. Kool G Rap ??? Road to the Riches
    30. Boogie Down Productions ??? My Philosophy
    31. Main Source ??? Looking at the Front Door
    32. Stetsasonic ??? Talkin??? All That Jazz
    33. Ed OG & da Bulldogs ??? I Gots to Have It
    34. The D.O.C. ??? It???s Funky Enough
    35. Digital Underground ??? The Humpty Dance
    36. N2Deep ??? Back to the Hotel
    37. Cypress Hill ??? How I Could Just Kill a Man
    38. Redman - Time 4 Sum Aksion
    39. Tha Pharcyde ??? Passin??? Me By
    40. OC ??? Time???s Up

I would say "Needle to the Groove" instead of "Bassline," but that's the only nitpick I can come up with. :killin_it:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Equal Opportunity Regional Greatest List is on some Fantasy Island Shit.

15 songs from the NY Area
    15 songs from the South
    15 Songs from the West
    5 Wedding songs like Push It, Get Your Freak On, and Me So Horny......

41. Black Sheep ??? The Choice Is Yours remix
    42. Gang Starr feat. Nice & Smooth - DWYCK
    43. Souls of Mischief ??? 93 ???Til Infinity
    44. A Tribe Called Quest ??? Electric Relaxation
    45. 2Pac & Snoop Dogg ??? 2 of Amerika???s Most Wanted

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    :hijack: cont'd

Duderonomy said:

WEIRD, was listening to parts of DJ Food's Refried Food today. The album i had didn't have that^ on it though..

cove said:
    :hijack: cont'd

Duderonomy said:

WEIRD, was listening to parts of DJ Food's Refried Food today. The album i had didn't have that^ on it though..

Vinyl only?
    Sounds amazing over a good system.

46. Z-Ro - Mo City Don