New Shuggie Otis Tourdates>

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited November 2012 in Strut Central
Did a search. Didn't see anything. Thought people here may be interested:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/11/shuggie-otis-reissues-inspiration-information-announces-tour-dates/

Shuggie Otis 2012-2013 Tour Dates:
12/05 ??? Los Angeles, CA @ Echoplex
02/23 ??? Mexico City, DF @ El Plaza Condesa
04/14 ??? Toronto, ON @ Phoenix Concert Theatre
04/17 ??? Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall
04/18 ??? New York, NY @ BB Kings Blues Club and Grill
04/20 ??? Washington, DC @ The Howard Theatre
04/23 ??? Seattle, WA @ The Triple Door
04/26 ??? Francisco, CA @ Mezzanine

Comments

• And in London at the Jazz Cafe next week.

• what's the deal with shuggie these days? i heard the shows he was doing a few years back were pretty messed up...does he still have chops left? is he strictly doing blooze?

• I was wondering that as well - doesn't he play a lot anyway, just little bar gigs round his way? Just remembering the Wax Poetics article from a few years back.

Odd that he has popped up to start playing big tours. I wouldn't know what to expect really.

That track that turned up recently is pretty good - will be interesting to hear the unreleased material with the new reissue.

• I'd see Shuggie and love it even if he played a Kazoo in a clown suite.

• Shuggie Otis 2012-2013 Tour Dates:

ROADTRIP.....

• DustedDon said:
    Shuggie Otis 2012-2013 Tour Dates:

ROADTRIP.....

For me, Lincoln Hall is one hour via the commuter train. I'm there.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    what's the deal with shuggie these days? i heard the shows he was doing a few years back were pretty messed up...does he still have chops left? is he strictly doing blooze?

His blues sides are the least interesting things he's done. Much better in the "progressive soul" bag (for lack of a better term).

• ACCIDENTAL REPOST

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    what's the deal with shuggie these days? i heard the shows he was doing a few years back were pretty messed up...does he still have chops left? is he strictly doing blooze?

His blues sides are the least interesting things he's done. Much better in the "progressive soul" bag (for lack of a better term).

Love his blues sides (as a sideman), Preston Love, Blues Spectrum...
    Love the progressive soul too.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Gonna catch him in Amsterdam on November 29th

Need to hear him play this

• Would love to attend but can't travel to London for the show.

• LaserWolf said:
    pickwick33 said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

As a sideman, his appearances on other people's records are brilliant. Not too hot on his first album, Here Comes Shuggie Otis, which was heavy on the undistinguished 12-bar blooze jams, IIRC.

pickwick33 said:
    LaserWolf said:
    pickwick33 said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

As a sideman, his appearances on other people's records are brilliant. Not too hot on his first album, Here Comes Shuggie Otis, which was heavy on the undistinguished 12-bar blooze jams, IIRC.

Al Kooper.

• LaserWolf said:
    pickwick33 said:
    LaserWolf said:
    pickwick33 said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

Al Kooper.

This was Shuggie's first LP.

I've never heard the album he did with Al Kooper, but I get the drift that it's more of the same.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I've just been reminded that I've seen Shuggie in concert. Yeah, it was forgettable. One of those performances from about 10 years ago that have been mentioned above. He seemed to leave the stage angry. I remember the show being short, and not much else.

I see what you mean.
    The Kooper one is earlier, but really a Kooper record not Shuggie.

• The song "Oxford Gray" off the "Here Comes Shuggie Otis" LP is a facemelter.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Live review from London show in The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/nov/21/shuggie-otis-review

• He's playing Dublin this Friday & Saturday. I spent the past few days revisiting his LPs & did a quick mix to refresh the memory.

Link here: http://djjeremymurphy.podomatic.com/entry/2012-11-26T16_32_04-08_00

DL link is at the bottom of the page.

All tracks ripped to MP3 from OG vinyl, mixed in Serato & levels fiddled with in Audacity. Enjoy.

• I saw Shuggie yesterday. Not too amazing, I'm afraid. Polished jazz-funk versions of the classics which sounded like done by a Steely Dan cover band, way too much drums and fills and things being played and Shuggie Otis behaving awkwardly, which is what he does, apparently. A lot of blues rock and guitar noodling, too. Then some amp blew, Shuggie's wallet was missing, something was wrong about the keyboard (or the keyboarder, who just joined the band) and they skipped some tunes and never played them. "Inspiration Information", for example. Well, at least he was there.

• Ouch, you could forgive the jams if he knocked out 'Inspiration Information', but if he skipped over it: :weaksauce:

• djmq said:
    I saw Shuggie yesterday. Not too amazing, I'm afraid. Polished jazz-funk versions of the classics which sounded like done by a Steely Dan cover band, way too much drums and fills and things being played and Shuggie Otis behaving awkwardly, which is what he does, apparently. A lot of blues rock and guitar noodling, too. Then some amp blew, Shuggie's wallet was missing, something was wrong about the keyboard (or the keyboarder, who just joined the band) and they skipped some tunes and never played them. "Inspiration Information", for example. Well, at least he was there.

So Shuggie stepped up to the mic and hollered "HEY, WHERE'S MY WALLET?" :liljohn:

• pickwick33 said:
    So Shuggie stepped up to the mic and hollered "HEY, WHERE'S MY WALLET?" :liljohn:

Pretty much. He said it was stolen, his driver's license was in there and that "hey, who needs a drivers license, am I right?" But the way he acted on stage he could have had the wallet in his coat pocket the whole time and just forgot to check. Who knows. In Shuggie's words: "Interesting day. I slept a lot."

• djmq said:
    pickwick33 said:

Pretty much. He said it was stolen, his driver's license was in there and that "hey, who needs a drivers license, am I right?" But the way he acted on stage he could have had the wallet in his coat pocket the whole time and just forgot to check. Who knows. In Shuggie's words: "Interesting day. I slept a lot."

Thanks for sharing.

Damn - I'm seeing him tonite. He better step his game up.

:dead: :roar:

Amsterdam show was great - he played for almost two hours, did an encore, played the bangers, band and shuggie were tight, twas really enjoyable. My man had this book of art by Johnny Otis which Shuggie signed for him too.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    It's Shuggie's birthday today.

• I'm curious, what's that Johnny Otis book?

dreskieboogie said:
    I'm curious, what's that Johnny Otis book?

Colors and Chords: The Art of Johnny Otis