Soul Strut 100: # 43 - Mobb Deep - The Infamous

13»

Comments

• I don't think Ridin Dirty is anywhere near as good as The Infamous but each to their own of course.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I just went back to the list and saw Big Bear is on it and had to laugh. Plus I found this on the interwebs (I knew they'd exist). I'm buying a pair for HC as we speak:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Possum Slim said:
    I don't think Ridin Dirty is anywhere near as good as The Infamous but each to their own of course.

Look, you might not like Southern rap. But there is no way anyone should ever be saying that Ridin Dirty isn't as good as The Infamous. There's a lot of people who still need to catch up on such a fact, I know. But we've been waiting a loooooong time for y'all to do so.

And yes, saying they are on the same exact level is acceptable, as they both define certain brands of rap. But putting one beneath the other based on anything but personal taste is simply wrong.

The_Non said:
    I just went back to the list and saw Big Bear is on it and had to laugh. Plus I found this on the interwebs (I knew they'd exist). I'm buying a pair for HC as we speak:

Thanks, but my eyes are already shaped like that sans glasses.

• I think it's really hard to argue that Ridin' Dirty is not as good as The Infamous. Maybe it wasn't the soundtrack to your local euroman experience but it's a pretty damn good album by any metric. The rappers can rap, the beats are funky.... I mean, it's not dusty breakz yo(!), but Pimp's production is soulful as fuck and lays all sorts of groundwork for the current stuff that gets dap from the I-wish-today's-rappers-would-sample-moar crowd. Diss UGK and you diss yourself.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Lets stay on topic.

Could u present this list to someone and defend The Infamous being higher than The Chronic?

Or is this a strictly for us list?

• batmon said:
    Lets stay on topic.

Could u present this list to someone and defend The Infamous being higher than The Chronic?

There are definitely east coast traditionalists that would rate it that way.

I don't think that is particularly defensible, but I remember people from NY dissing the Chronic bitd on some "it's ruining hip-hop!" biz.

• Possum Slim said:
    I don't think Ridin Dirty is anywhere near as good as The Infamous but each to their own of course.

I CRAM TO UNDERSTAND THE BASIS BY WHICH YOU CAME TO THIS CONCLUSION B/W YEAH WELL THATS LIKE JUST YOUR OPINION, MAN. Two of the best rap records I can think of.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:

I could defend it a lot sooner than Marvin Gaye (and The Chronic and Hutson and Electric Ladyland and Hard to Earn and....) coming in lower than Big Bear...which I suspect got a higher rating based on the cover alone. Maybe we can get a moratorium on irony instead?

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    batmon said:
    Lets stay on topic.

There are definitely east coast traditionalists that would rate it that way.

I don't think that is particularly defensible, but I remember people from NY dissing the Chronic bitd on some "it's ruining hip-hop!" biz.

I never heard anyone in NYC diss the Chronic. Cats were fully on board after Deep Cover.
    The only ramblings/critiques i heard was that it was a little too polished. But that even died out.

What gave The Infamous one of its medals is that it gave NYC Hip Hop back some dirty steez challenging the G-Funk.

fusk

me

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    batmon said:
    Overrated

Straight trippin'. I was about to call you out on calling "Temperature's Rising" as the hottest track on the album. LOL

So I'll do it now.

TRIPPIN'.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Possum Slim said:

Look, you might not like Southern rap. But there is no way anyone should ever be saying that Ridin Dirty isn't as good as The Infamous. There's a lot of people who still need to catch up on such a fact, I know. But we've been waiting a loooooong time for y'all to do so.

And yes, saying they are on the same exact level is acceptable, as they both define certain brands of rap. But putting one beneath the other based on anything but personal taste is simply wrong.

You're trippin' too, cuz you were first to bring up another album is better. blah blah, bullshit.

The Infamous is a damn consistent album. nuff said.

• I prefer the gritty, claustrophobic sound of The Infamous to Ridin Dirty and The Chronic which of course is personal preference.

• personal preference.
    personal preference.
    personal preference.
    personal preference.
    personal preference.
    personal preference.

how dare you

• LoopDreams said:

how dare you

How Dare iz a Darkside you! Whut were you thinking.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    edpowers said:
    Minus "Party Over" The Infamous is Hip Hop perfection.

Agreed. This is one of those records that will always have a place in my memory. When it dropped, I can remember selling thousands in the first year. And years later you could still bring in the record and it would constantly sell.

I've always thought if they never put a track like "Party Over" and had the ability to have been able to put, say "Back at You" on it, it would have been a certified classic no doubt.

I think some have issue with this album because of the production on the albums that followed seemed to not evolve much. So when they try to rate Infamous, they tend to be subconsciously including their other musical output into things.

And I have no issue of anyone hating on this album. Music is very subjective. You don't need to convince someone like Harv that Infamous is a classic. Just like Harv could never convince me that much of the music he identifies with is amazing.

IMO tho it's much better to like or hate something and have a discussion on it, than to have zero opinion on it either way. So I personally enjoy threads like this. One of the good parts of this board. Deep debate is great.

We should remember. This Top 100 list is more of a strut list above all. Not just a "best of list". Hence why Big Bear is on the it. Nobody is trying to say that album musically was the greatest. Just that that album was something special on this site.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    so what did havoc do on the album? just shook ones?

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    all I know is until this day, every time I walk down 7th ave, my dumb ass will inevitably rap

"Said the Brinks is comin through, at Fashion Avenue
    At Tuesday at two, Now we gotta forum a crew, of motherfuckers
    who ain't goin out like suckers
    Told me call Karl Kani, and all my other brothers"

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    b/w Ridin Dirty is a WAAAAAAAAAAAY better album.

DOR said:
    I think some have issue with this album because of the production on the albums that followed seemed to not evolve much. So when they try to rate Infamous, they tend to be subconsciously including their other musical output into things.

I didnt read one post where someone mentioned their overall output.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I wasn't referencing to a post in this thread. I wrote "subconsciously including their other musical output into things".

I mention it because there was a post or two talking about the "Hell on Earth" and repetitive snare and it reminds me of many conversations I've had with people IRL (like in record stores) over the years on Mobb Deep.

In any case. Any strutter can post their top 25 hip hop LPs of all time and I guarantee there will be someone one out there that will hate on every album on your list.

No big deal.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Oooooh, is this my soundtrack from my early adulthood!!! I play "The Infamous" to this very day, and my favorites include "Shook Ones, Part 2", "Give Up the Goods", "Up North Trip", and "Temperature Rising." Progidy and Havoc put it all together like no other time on the "Infamous", and I'm glad to see the LP recognized for the Soul Strut 100. This album represents hip-hop at its grittiest, aboslute best!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

All my shit-talking a few weeks back and now I can't seem to take Cradle to the Grave off repeat in my truck.

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    :real_headz: