edited November 2012 in Strut Central
Not a Good Look aka NAGL.

Dumbest expression ever.

Stop using it already.

Thank you.

Comments

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Agreed.

Also, does anyone have any objections to killing off the term 'zeitgeist'?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    JectWon said:
    Agreed.

So you're asking for a moratorium on "zeitgeist"?

Oh wait, are we saying "not a good look" needs to be moratoriumed? Or moratorium is a bad look? I'm so confused.

• mannybolone said:
    JectWon said:
    Agreed.

a moratorium on "zeitgeist"?

Cosign, that word is seriously NAGL.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If you don't know you shouldn't be saying NAGL, well then.

I mean, do you still say "grody to the max"? It's beyond catty.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    mannybolone said:
    JectWon said:
    Agreed.

Beautiful word. This a good example for the beauty of the german language, which can cast a total abstract meaning in just one single word by combining words. I guess there is no english synonym, is it?
    What's wrong with it? To hard to pronounce for you guys?

finelikewine said:
    Horseleech said:
    mannybolone said:
    JectWon said:
    Agreed.

Beautiful word. This a good example for the beauty of the german language, which can cast a total abstract meaning in just one single word by combining words. I guess there is no english synonym, is it?

No, actually...now that I really think about it, my issue with the word isn't the word itself. It's the average person who seems to say it, these days. And, I feel like I'm hearing it all the time now. Another word that is a great word but seems to be used too much is 'diaspora'.

I'd imagine I would hear both words a lot less if I listened to less NPR/PRI.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    Horseleech said:
    mannybolone said:
    JectWon said:
    Agreed.

I agree, it's a great word, right up there with schadenfreude (which strikes me as so very, very German) and treppenwitz, but I think the problem is that it's been abused. Although, to be fair, so has "schadenfreude," and nobody's going to give that one up anytime soon.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Zeitgeist can easily be replaced in conversation with "spirit of the times" or a similar equivalent. Schadenfreude is much more difficult to replace concisely, so I don't see it going anywhere. Treppenwitz is new to me, and after looking it up, I love it.

• Who's on third??

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    treppenwitz

I know it's not too zeitgeist-y anymore but taking it back to "Seinfeld," this is like the Jerk Store reference, correct?

DB_Cooper said:
    Zeitgeist can easily be replaced in conversation with "spirit of the times" or a similar equivalent.

So you want to replace one word with four?

No.

If there's a better ONE-WORD equivalent for "zeitgeist", by all means, someone should share it. Until then...

This reminds me of a cool toy that google has. Any of y'all ever play with the ngram viewer? It's been out for a while now.

I looked up 'not a good look' to track it's gain in use, for fun....

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=not+a+good+look&year_start=1900&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share;=

Also ROFL:

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=ROFL&year_start=1900&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share;=

If you haven't played with this before...prepare to waste some time.

There are definitely glitches with it, however.

mannybolone said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Zeitgeist can easily be replaced in conversation with "spirit of the times" or a similar equivalent.

No.

If there's a better ONE-WORD equivalent for "zeitgeist", by all means, someone should share it. Until then...

Normally, I would agree with you that brevity suggests that zeitgeist is the better usage. But as has been pointed out, the word has become too loaded with implications about the speaker due to its modern overusage by pretentious pseudo-intellectuals. You could say the zeitgeist is that people who use the word zeitgeist are pretentious douchebags.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    white_tea said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    treppenwitz

I know it's not too zeitgeist-y anymore but taking it back to "Seinfeld," this is like the Jerk Store reference, correct?

Correct.

And Jerk Store woulda smoked that guy!

JectWon said:
    This reminds me of a cool toy that google has. Any of y'all ever play with the ngram viewer? It's been out for a while now.

I looked up 'not a good look' to track it's gain in use, for fun....

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=not+a+good+look&year_start=1900&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share;=

Also ROFL:

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=ROFL&year_start=1900&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share;=

If you haven't played with this before...prepare to waste some time.

There are definitely glitches with it, however.

I tried "def": http://goo.gl/YgWGK

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    mannybolone said:
    DB_Cooper said:

No.

Normally, I would agree with you that brevity suggests that zeitgeist is the better usage. But as has been pointed out, the word has become too loaded with implications about the speaker due to its modern overusage by pretentious pseudo-intellectuals. You could say the zeitgeist is that people who use the word zeitgeist are pretentious douchebags.

It's more than fair that you Yankees & Tommys use at least one german word on the regular. Over here in Germany we are flooded with english words. Some of them have almost replaced our native german expressions. :lol:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Glockenspiel is one of my all-time favorite words, and instruments for that matter.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    There are far fewer words that "have no English equivalent" than people think. Sometimes this is truly true (e.g. saudade), but it's more often the case that people (myself included) are lazy, and have succumbed to one of our era's shitty little misconceptions, which is that concision--no matter how affected--is always preferable to a bit of graceful wordiness.

If, for example, you're talking to someone about how you're happy because something bad happened to somebody else, it's doubtless that they will understand and will make the typical human's connection with your sentiment; if, however, you're standing there talmbout schadenfreude, you expose yourself as one who is more concerned with your side of the understanding than that of the person you're talking to. You seem less like someone pursuing accuracy and precision and more like someone trying to password-protect your bullshit.

I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, but for real: If it's at all possible to use a couple extra words and talk like yourself, please do it, you fucknut.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

You could say the zeitgeist is that people who use the word zeitgeist are pretentious douchebags.

You could say overwhelmingly people who use the word zeitgeist are pretentious douchebags.

You could say these days people who use the word zeitgeist are pretentious douchebags.

You could say on the whole people who use the word zeitgeist are pretentious douchebags.

You could say pretentious douchebags who use the word zeitgeist are pretentious douchebags.

You could say the zeitgeist is people are pretentious douchebags.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    james said:
    There are far fewer words that "have no English equivalent" than people think. Sometimes this is truly true (e.g. saudade), but it's more often the case that people (myself included) are lazy, and have succumbed to one of our era's shitty little misconceptions, which is that concision--no matter how affected--is always preferable to a bit of graceful wordiness.

If, for example, you're talking to someone about how you're happy because something bad happened to somebody else, it's doubtless that they will understand and will make the typical human's connection with your sentiment; if, however, you're standing there talmbout schadenfreude, you expose yourself as one who is more concerned with your side of the understanding than that of the person you're talking to. You seem less like someone pursuing accuracy and precision and more like someone trying to password-protect your bullshit.

I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, but for real: If it's at all possible to use a couple extra words and talk like yourself, please do it, you fucknut.

that's one hell of a leitmotiv

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    My favorite German, or perhaps Yiddish, word is luftmensch.
    I find cause to use this word from time to time.

I don't think I have ever used zeitgeist.

I have used gestalt more than once, and think it is a great word when it is the word that is needed.

That staircase one is clever, but not much needed.
    "I wish I had said..." will do, or the far more popular "I told that guy right to his face..."

james said:

Good points.

Also, I decided to check out fucknut...

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=fucknut&year_start=1900&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share;=

...it's a word on the rise.

This whole thread reminds me of this Taylor Mali dude's take on speaking with conviction. It's not exactly what we are talking about, but it's an interesting take on the 'zeitgeist' (goddammit).

EDIT: I might have actually seen this clip on the strut recently.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    ...Then the Germans blow it with "Stra??enbahnhaltestelle" for tram stop.

Srs doe, despite our cultural differences, I have always had a good crack working with my German clients. I did eke out of them what their worst insult for Brits was... They really didn't want to say it, they were all looking at each other like it was some kind of Ultimate, DEFCON-Infinity N-bomb; but for whiteys.

"Insul Affe".

Island Apes.

And here is the cultural difference chasm in the spotlight - Brits embrace shit like that, for breakfast. We drop that in all the time with them now

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

"Insul Affe".

Island Apes.

Brillant!! (a now proud ape)

james said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. The point of speaking or writing is communication, and that means expressing yourself in a way that people best understand what you're trying to communicate. But that means varying your style of communication based upon who you're talking to. When addressing an academic, couch your concepts in academic phraseology. When talking to the dude at the bodega, just fucking say what you mean in plain talk. Who knows, though???maybe it's important to pretentious douchebags that people understand that part of what they're trying to communicate is that, besides their conversational point, it is important that their audience understands the subtext that they consider themselves intellectual, even if they are not.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    james said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. The point of speaking or writing is communication, and that means expressing yourself in a way that people best understand what you're trying to communicate. But that means varying your style of communication based upon who you're talking to. When addressing an academic, couch your concepts in academic phraseology. When talking to the dude at the bodega, just fucking say what you mean in plain talk. Who knows, though???maybe it's important to pretentious douchebags that people understand that part of what they're trying to communicate is that, besides their conversational point, it is important that their audience understands the subtext that they consider themselves intellectual, even if they are not.
    I wouldn't disagree with any of that--and the last point is particularly spot-on (-subtext: "I may or may not own a Monty Python record--can you say the same?")--my beef ("And maybe some rap records, too!") is when people won't cop to it being a style, and try to front like it's a necessity. It is very seldom a necessity. By and large, people don't talk that way because they've run out of language; they talk that way because in that moment there is a particular hat they want to put on. Now, doing so only makes you human; it's denying it that makes you a jerk. It's a lot like farting.

I mean, I just cringe when inexpressive, imprecise, inconsiderate, and non-engaged speakers or writers drop some italicized something from whatever David Foster Wallace book they most recently got a quarter of the way through and then sigh about the insufficiency of English. The language is fine--it is you, sir, what are the fucknut.