The Chronic vs. The Chronic 2001

DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
edited November 2012 in Strut Central
I guess i just wanted to see what the Strut consensus was on what album is better and most of all which album do you return to more often?

It's a tough one, but I think I'll take Chronic 2001 over the original Chronic by a half a toke. I'd love to hear the Struts thoughts on this topic. I cetainly apologize if a similar thread has been started before.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It's not even remotely close for me...and not just because I can't stand to listen to Eminem ever. One is a groundbreaking, street-sweeping classic, and the other is just an afterthought with a few decent songs on it. Not even a contest.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I just listened to the Chronic recently and shit was like new. Alot of singing though. Alot of singin'.

I really like 2001 but there are some drop out points where i lose interest. Instrumental Album is sick.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    OG over 2001 all day

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    OG.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    I love them both. They're similar in that they're singular, cohesive albums that do really well at painting a picture of Dre's community at the time they dropped. Both feature writing/wrapping that introduced a few relatively unknown but tight local rappers. The OG was more groundbreaking and the songs are better... but the hits are comparable on the two... and I'd say the wrapping is stronger overall on 2001.

I probably listen to 2001 more than the OG these days. Contrary to Harvey, I think there's only a couple of dull points... same as with the OG.

Eminem SLAYS on 2001. After that album, he started to get pretty lame tho... not a fan.

• Both great records obviously, but, since i was like 6 was the og came out and i was in high school and smoking A LOT when 2001 came out i gotta go with that. I still can't hear this record without flashin back to a sedan full of blunt smoke at lunch break and shit.

also, i still remember the SEVERE break face after throwin on that Soul Mann & the Brothers joint with the "xplosive" guitar sample.....

• batmon said:
    I just listened to the Chronic recently and shit was like new.

Everytime I hear the Chronic I say to myself that I have to listen to it more often

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i think only someone 25 could choose 2001. seeing the videos for g thang and dre day pretty much got me into hiphop at the age of 9. so yeah, i'm going with that one.

• OG, but I dig 2001 too.

OG is like the lush, full orchestra version and 2001 is like the midi rendition, but both have great songs on them. OG is all killer no filler and 2001 has some less than banging moments. Devin was a great addition.

2001 was nowhere near the cultural phenomenon of the original. When G Thang dropped, it stopped everyone in their tracks. Then beyond all the copycats, there were all those the anti reactions as well. The Chronic became the standard against which everything else got compared. It still is in many ways.

b/w

"I got them 16 switches like Dre, 'cuase where I'm from, nigga, that's what erybody play."

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i had gotten an advance of the chronic 2001 at some point and thought it was great if not better than the first. when the actual album came out though it had different production and different lyrics and i was beyond disappointed (same thing with the Def Squad LP)

i think if they didnt shelve the first try and redo that album it would be 2001>OG for me for sure

• Isn't this actually the "OG" Chronic?

This is better than any raps anyway.

sakedelic said:
    Isn't this actually the "OG" Chronic?

BAN.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    sakedelic said:
    Isn't this actually the "OG" Chronic?

BAN.

hahaha

• The Chronic gave us Snoop, Daz, Kurrupt and Nate Dogg.

2001 gave us....Knoc-turn'al.

• there were a whole bunch of random fools on 2001. It all worked, 'cause Dre. But some of those dudes are milk carton status now.

OG in a rout.

• there were a gang of fools on 2001, but many were already known or else soon disappeared.

chronic introduced an entire extended family of people who themselves changed W coast music.

• i'm seeing a lot of arguments for the OG talmbout the "cultural impact". i think its obvious the OG had probably the biggest impact of any rap record up until that point. i'm kind of less considered about that aspect and just want to know what music you think is better. i go back to 2001 more often and play those cuts in the clurrb more often.

b/w

LOOK WHAT MEL-MAN BRINGS TO THE TABLE ;-P

Keep fishing for the answer you are actually trying to hear. But IMO musically, Stranded on Death Row alone, let alone Lil Ghetto Boy, High Powered, and Bitches Ain't Shit > The entirety of 2001 X 1,000.

• Dre rapping Snoop/RBX/Kurupt verses >> Dre rapping Jay-Z/Eminem/Hittman verses

• The first Chronic by far for me. I just love the way Dre' flipped the samples and when people heard Snoop on it, it was a lock. Constant play in my neighborhood...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,783 Posts
    Is anything from 2001 messing with Let Me Ride?

• Duderonomy said:
    Is anything from 2001 messing with Let Me Ride?

Doubtful... close to it could be "Explosive".

• HarveyCanal said:
    Keep fishing for the answer you are actually trying to hear. But IMO musically, Stranded on Death Row alone, let alone Lil Ghetto Boy, High Powered, and Bitches Ain't Shit > The entirety of 2001 X 1,000.

fishing? no. i appreciate everyones responses.

how bout:
    the watcher
    fuck you
    next episode
    still dre
    xxplosive
    whats the differance
    lightspeed
    lets get high

i dunno, those are some pretty strong cuts if you ask me.

They're good, yes. But c'mon now, we both know you are fishing...which is fine, it gets discussion going. But the reason for the big cultural gangbang was exactly for the music on the OG. And again, Eminem's inclusion on 2001 is a negative factor to a lot of people. Not that he couldn't technically rap well, but that voice is the pits. I've never been able to even listen to 2001 without skipping tracks.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Thriller > OTW

I want you > Lets get it on > Whats goin on > here my dear

War > Mandrill

chronic > chronic 2001

death certificate > Amerikkas most

Dogg Food > Doggystlye

Cuban linx > liquid swords

Brown Sugar > Voodoo

Songs in the key > innervisions

Trane > Miles

Menace to society > boyz in the hood

40 yo virgin > hangover

Nevermind > in utero

• the OG is the superior of the two.

lest we forget how hard this goes...... most notably six-two's verse.

Naked gun > airplane

Coming to america > trading places

The natural > field of dreams