Downtempo and Scratching

2»

Comments

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Don't tell me some of you can't see where i'm coming from.

Ok, since we all know how Daze and I feel, why don't other people share their feelings.

"I deserve good things. I am entitled to my share of happiness. I refuse to beat myself up. I am attractive person. I am fun to be with."

I have been getting back into scratch music recently seeing cats like D-styles and Ricci Rucker do some DOPE original ALBUMS I have found myself checking for scratch stuff again ...it seemed to get really boring like 4 years ago ..I really hadn't practiced scratching in about two and a half years till just a few months ago. I also like a lot of Dark headphone beats ..... but I also like Kool G Rap ....Maybe I am

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I like scratching, but this was kinda boring. No diss, just honesty.

• All those other dudes he rolls with get too technical and boring for me.

Yo, you're down with that dude? I'm spacing if he's in your crew! I know he's down with Teeko but I didn't know what the deal was. I haven't been "into" that whole world in a minute. It turned too "D&D" nerdfest for me.

What I was really talking more about was the whole mopey ass 65 bpm "dark" child molester/devil worship/serial killer shit that most people are on nowadays.

But you? You sir, are

major co-sign.

Mike Boo and Ricci Rukcer= Nice, talented dudes, but thur music seems a bit self-indulgent. I don't know but I just coudn't take an entire album of that stuff. I'd rather hear someone like Melo-D, Quest, Day, Revoloution cut it up.

PeacefullRO:

Thats why I think your band can really make moves. Your shit is MUSIC, I think even some dudes who don't even like scratching can get into it. I really can see some shit popping off for you guys.

• Allow me a moment of dickriding. Day's music is the only scratching shit I hear now that makes me say "DAMN I WISH I COULD DO THAT!".

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    ok ok enough! You guys just haven't tasted the GUNKHOLE yet.

Seriously, I haven't been practicing my cutting in a minute. When it gets to the point where you're just doing the same scratches over and over it's time to step back for a bit.

btw I posted a scratch cut I did with Exile on my (gasp!) myspace account.

it's at the bottom - I drummed while Exile did the music on the MPC all in one take. Then we laid cuts over it. He did the Chuck D "BASS" one towards the end and it will and have you wondering how he did it. Again, cuts laid down in one take. This was all done about 3 years ago.

www.myspace.com/djday

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    ok ok enough! You guys just haven't tasted the GUNKHOLE yet.

Seriously, I haven't been practicing my cutting in a minute. When it gets to the point where you're just doing the same scratches over and over it's time to step back for a bit.
    Oh Shut it... ya know your flexin skillz! seriously
    though your shit is dope, and I am feeling a lot of the Rucker ish I have been hearing ..some is too out there for me but the ish with ghost and third sight made me really start checking for this shit again

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I hope this isn't gunkhole has to offer, those three guys are way too tallented. Maybe they don't mesh well.

Where's the follow up to phantazmagorea?

• Day: nice clip man, I peeped some of the other stuff on your myspace as well. You got a good thing going.

I guess my main beef with the whole turntablism fad maybe lies with the era of battle records. I am so fucking sick of hearing anyone cut "ahhhh fresh". It seems like even the best doods are still out there doing the same shit. I mean, I understand the idea of having a yardstick to judge cuts by, but math is fucking boring to me. I still like doods that cut with style instead of with math. My favorite era of DJ shit was the first batch of MMM tapes, Dibbs Tapes, Early Beat junkies and Drez tapes. D-Styles has one of my favorite cutting styles all around, and his beats are A+ as well, I loved most of the stuff he has done, and am looking forward to hearing a new Third Sight.

I mean whatever, Im not one to preach on the DJ tip. I have been known to nerd out and have entered battles in the past, but really, a lot of the new jacks that can cut at 200mph deaded it for me. I really wish fools would get on some "take it back to composition" type shit, but with a heavy focus on rares/beats/breaks.

Whatever.... I make 70 BPM chainsaw emo music, so what the fuck do I know.

• girgir 329 Posts

Whatever.... I make 70 BPM chainsaw emo music, so what the fuck do I know.

take it to 35 bpm

I would much rather see a DJ that can actually mix and control a crowd then a side show act that everyone stands around watching.

also: tech 12's should come with stickers that say "warning: nobody can dance while you're juggling 'check the rhime' for 5 minutes."

• Don't tell me some of you can't see where i'm coming from.

Ok, since we all know how Daze and I feel, why don't other people share their feelings.

"I deserve good things. I am entitled to my share of happiness. I refuse to beat myself up. I am attractive person. I am fun to be with."

Oh OK Day - I had a response all set up earlier today, but was like - fuk it, I don't need to. But now you called me out:

The gunkhole video was cool but just aight. I personally think that the whole scratch composition/dj band thing is pretty derivative with the exception of a few folks - Ricci Rucker comes to mind. which is kinda disappointing that he's in that gunkhole video.

The best shit was when Qbert, Mike and Apollo were wrecking shit back in 92, and the early X-Men stuff from like '95. Since then, it's been PALE by comparison. I remember seeing the Piklz and Xmen at a show with Spooky in LA - I think it might have been the Altered Beats tour - and everything else has been like - 'meh'. Really, Qbert was back then, and still is today, about 3 years ahead of the curve. Guy was doing flares on his pre-school break tape which came out in what? 1993 or 1994? Flares didn't become common until like 1997 or so - right around when Babu and Shortkut and Disk were in the circuit. And now homeboy is doing 30-45 minute sets using just that QFO - 1 turntable!! That guy is Bananas, and if anyone doesn't believe, just watch his and Mike's interviews in Scratch.

but yeah, the whole battle/scratch nerd thing got old with me too, and I was reviewing scratch records for URB at the time too, which was kinda funny.

Ain't no fun going to a battle and seeing a bunch of dudes trying to work out a math problem.
    I wanna see the ladies shake their money makers.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    It's just not EXCITING

Those old routines with Qbert & MMM/ISP, the NMS battles and even old DMC's were fun to watch not fun to think about!

Those fools were animated and into it and it got you hype.

Why would I want to watch some dude scratch 3 flute sounds over and over for 5 minutes?

I don't know man, I'm feeling like between this and the "is rap for the youth?" thread I should start rocking this when I DJ:

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• I lub scratching my flute.

It doesn't have to be boring...let's just say improvision at this point in time has it's limitations. Compositions however, are grown and sexy.

A lot of fools were doing flares back then (early/mid 90's), btw...

• Why would I want to watch some dude scratch 3 ahh/fresh/rockthebells over and over for 5 minutes?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Why would I want to watch some dude scratch 3 ahh/fresh/rockthebells over and over for 5 minutes?

ZOING

Ok, well if you're gonna scratch your flute lips at least move around or make a face like you're humping the turntable for the crowd's sake.

• cool, I'll wear the cod piece!

here's MR Mixx at q's the udder night!

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    cool, I'll wear the cod piece!

here's MR Mixx at q's the udder night!

Damn ...He was just out here with the crew but I couldn't make it..... Very dope! I still like cuts from that era more than tech ish of today...Give me loud ass chirps over some super technical whatever ish anyday! I was thinking about this a couple nights ago bumping a Shame mixtape

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    DAMN! Can he still cut it up?

I always shout that dude out as an inspiration. Someone told me all those megamixes were done live with all the records laid out one of after the other??? I need to go back and listen.

Tell Q I said whataahp and ask him how he feels about all this!

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    noice cuts

have no idea who that is, its from some radioshow.. not sure if i like it because of the beats or the scratching tho. but it sure is fonkey!

• A lot of fools were doing flares back then (early/mid 90's), btw...

DJ FLARE[/b]

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Flare created that cut in '90 (I think) and Q was flaring in that Dream Team routine which was '93. I did'nt learn until '95 so i'm sure there were other folls in the bay doing it from early 90's on up.

• A lot of fools were doing flares back then (early/mid 90's), btw...

DJ FLARE[/b]

who's DAT?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    DAMN! Can he still cut it up?

I always shout that dude out as an inspiration. Someone told me all those megamixes were done live with all the records laid out one of after the other??? I need to go back and listen.

Tell Q I said whataahp and ask him how he feels about all this!

NO! We shot some footage at Rodney's house with Mixx a couple years ago and he had officially lost his cuts. Cool ass dude though, but I was expecting to hear some of the megamixx type shit and none happened. Same thing when we brought him to Stacks record store for a round table discussion on scratching. He did some shit and skipped a lot and generally sounded bad...I was kinda bummed. But his tramp dj style is unfuckwittable ...dropping out tracks and yelling dirty shit to fill in the gaps, had us rolling. Dude is a monster on the beats too...his tracks are fuckin ridonkulous.

Joe Cooley on the other hand

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Joe Cooley on the other hand
    Is dude still doing he stuff? What has he been up to? I would like to hear

• Flare created that cut in '90 (I think) and Q was flaring in that Dream Team routine which was '93. I did'nt learn until '95 so i'm sure there were other folls in the bay doing it from early 90's on up.

sayin tho - Q and the rest of those bay heads were up on it about 2 years earlier than everyone else. I didn't really see it regular rotation until the 1995 DMC competitions - Swamp killed that shit.

And shit really blew out the box when the Piklz started doing those instructional videos. Kinda bummed me out that fools didn't have to rewind the same 30 seconds on DMC video and then try and figure it out themselves.

• how did he do that "BASS" thing?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Anyone ever heard of this dude John Cage? No not THAT John Cage. I think he used to be in this crew in Texas called The Truth. There was a clip of him floating around on some of the scratch message boards doing a composition called something like "Dirty Blue Mud Remix BOAAHHH", it was definitely , I had the file saved but lost it in a HD crash and now I can't find it anywhere. Anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?

Here ya go.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Anyone ever heard of this dude John Cage? No not THAT John Cage. I think he used to be in this crew in Texas called The Truth. There was a clip of him floating around on some of the scratch message boards doing a composition called something like "Dirty Blue Mud Remix BOAAHHH", it was definitely , I had the file saved but lost it in a HD crash and now I can't find it anywhere. Anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?

D O P E

But the ending is almost better than the routine!