Soul Strut 100: # 44 - Silver Apples - S/T

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited November 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

# 44 - Silver Apples

The list so far:

# 100 - Jr. and His Soulettes - Psychodelic Sounds
# 99 - Sir Joe Quarterman & Free Soul
# 98 - Donny Hathaway - S/T (1971)
# 97 - Bernard Wright - ???Nard
# 96 - Tom Scott - Honeysuckle Breeze
# 95 - People Under the Stairs - Question in the Form of an Answer
# 94 - Harlem River Drive
# 93 - Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
# 92 - Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear
# 91 - Muddy Waters - Electric Mud
# 90 - Les McCann - Layers
# 89 - Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
# 88 - Leroy Hutson - Hutson (1975)
# 87 - ESG - S/T (1981)
# 86 - Can - Tago Mago
# 85 - Bohannon - Stop & Go
# 84 - WILLIAM DEVAUGHN - Be Thankful For What You Got
# 83 - Power of Zeus - The Gospel According to Zeus
# 82 - Gang Starr - Hard To Earn
# 81 - The J.B.???s - Doing It to Death
# 80 - Parliament - Osmium
# 79 - McNeal & Niles - Thrust
# 78 - The Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Malik
# 77 - Earth, Wind, and Fire (1971)
# 76 - Dr. Dre - The Chronic
# 75 - Black Sabbath (1970)
# 74 - Trap Door / An International Psychedelic Mystery Mix (2006)
# 73 - Bob James - One
# 72 - Matthew Larkin Cassell - Pieces
# 71 - The Beginning Of The End - Funky Nassau
# 70 - Big Bear - Doin??? Thangs
# 69 - Steely Dan - Aja
# 68 - Quasimoto - The Unseen
# 67 - Curtis Mayfield - Curtis/Live! (1971)
# 66 - Al Green - Im still in love with you
# 65 - The Beatnuts - Street Level
# 64 - Archie Whitewater - Archie Whitewater (1970)
# 63 - Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - Mecca & the Soul Brother
# 62 - Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
# 61 - The J.B.???s - Food For Thought
# 60 - Don Blackman (1982)
# 59 - Niagara - (Tiddies)
# 58 - Can - Ege Bamyasi
# 57 - Whatnauts - On the Rocks
# 56 - The Mohawks - Champ
# 55 - McDonald and Giles (1971)
# 54 - Darondo - Let My People Go
# 53 - Dorothy Ashby - Afro Harping
# 52 - Beastie Boys - Paul???s Boutique
# 51 - Mulatu Astatke - Mulatu of Ethiopia
# 50 - Lyman Woodard Organization - Saturday Night Special
# 49 - Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul
# 48 - Lyn Collins - Think (About It)
# 47 - James Brown - In The Jungle Groove
# 46 - Bill Withers - Still Bill
# 45 - Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

About

A groundbreaking set from The Silver Apples ??? one of those records that almost didn't get fully appreciated until many decades later! The sound here is quite unique, even for the late 60s psych rock underground ??? and The Apples work in a blend of spacey electronics, driving percussion, and simple, stark guitar parts ??? a sound that's almost to their generation what the music of Suicide was to the underground of a decade later. Most tunes pulsate with an almost organic sort of quality, and the lyrics of the songs are often quite tuneful at times ??? a nice contrast to some of the colder styles of the instrumentation. The album's had a huge influence on countless groups in the past decade or so ??? for good reasons ??? and titles include "Oscillations", "Lovefingers", "Velvet Cave", "Whirly-Bird", "Dust", "Misty Mountain", "Program", and "Dancing Gods"

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=jg9hk3qpws

Related Threads

Silver Apples

Cool Silver Apples Story

POST YOUR SNIPE HISTORY OR YOU???RE SOFT!

Media

Comments

• In '95 I spent some time following the Flaming Lips. After the shows Wayne would let me and my travel partners backstage to eat and drink. Ended up talking music every night with their sound man and he mentioned the Silver Apples to me and his description of them really piqued my interest. He mentioned there was a bootleg CD of their 2 albums and that Rough Trade in London carried them. So, a few months later I happened to be in London and made my way to Rough Trade and scooped a CD. When I first listened to it, it blew my mind...this is 1967?!?!?

Ended up dubbing a bazilllion cassettes of it and gave them to anyone who wanted them

Then a year later, Simeon was found and my band ended up playing with them at a few of their "comeback" shows. Interesting dude to hang out with.

About 3 years later scooped an OG of this at a flea market. Still haven't found the other one.

• i passed on this record for peanuts a few times, now i never see it.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I only heard this album about 8 years ago and felt mad latte pass. One of those albums I would always hear about but never went out of my way to check out.

The_Hook_Up said:

Then a year later, Simeon was found and my band ended up playing with them at a few of their "comeback" shows. Interesting dude to hang out with.

I saw them on that tour at the Spaceland in LA. Did you do that show? (Can't remember the opener...)

• ketan said:
    I only heard this album about 8 years ago and felt mad latte pass. One of those albums I would always hear about but never went out of my way to check out.

The_Hook_Up said:

I saw them on that tour at the Spaceland in LA. Did you do that show? (Can't remember the opener...)

No, just the Texas shows...

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Found a pretty thrashed but servicable copy at a thrift about 10 years ago wheni first started digging.
    Held onto it for a few years before really checking it out.
    I know regret those few years that i had it and never listened to it.
    Having grown up a fan of weirdo british sci-fi tv and movies, this album was like the unholy marriage of breaks/loops and wierd moogy blips from my childhood.
    Definelty not everyones cup of tea.
    Still have that same trashed but servicable copy today.

Good stuff.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I'll be honest, never heard of it.... Will definitely check for...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    poster insert rules.

one of the only LPs I've bought from Craig Moerer, I decided it was worth spending a little to get a copy with the insert and without the almost universal ringwear. hard filed.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i passed on this record for peanuts a few times, now i never see it.

Same here. Also sold it for peanuts a few times. Was time people didn't rate this.

• Thymebomb13 said:
    Great LP, and their other album isn't far behind. Anyone who loves this stuff also needs the Fifty Foot Hose LP.

I find that 50 ft hose to be run of the mill west coast 60's psych with some boop-beep and blurps added. Very standard structures and songcraft. Kinda boring, no where as inventive as Silver Apples.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    50 Foot Hose has some great stuff going on. I'll agree the electronics don't live up to their billing or potential, but I think it's above run-of-the-mill. pretty atmospheric and dark.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I found Silver Apples "S/T" recently, though I had heard it in the past. The things that Simeon and Dan Taylor were doing in 1967 were next level, so I seriously recognize their innovativeness; however, I have to admit, musically, the LP doesn't really suit my tastes. I might have to sit down with the LP some more to fully appreciate it. That aside, I do recognize that Silver Apples "S/T" deserves recognition on the Soul Strut 100 given its cutting-edge quality and creativity.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak